AR10 308 - would you be satisfied?

moog5050

So after finishing the second redneck blind today, I sighted in my new AR10.   Besides wasting a bunch of rounds due to a loose mount,  it seemed to zero in reasonably well.  Started high and then overcorrected low and gradually moved it up but my last 5 shots are those in the black circle including one of the 2 with the dash next to it.  Not 100% sure which one.  In any event, would you be satisfied with that last group?  It’s not clover leaf nor close to my best group  but I guess decent for a 16” barrel semi auto.   Definitely minute of Deer.  Honest opinions?  

Photos are sideways.  Black circle was top of bullseye.  And shots at 110yds. I could add a click or two left but breeze was blowing that direction so I left it as is.

same as the AR15, it seemed to shoot better the more rounds I put through it.   Maybe the oils from manufacturing need to burn out.  Not sure. 

2DAE226B-1E39-4B6F-8543-8A8F29AE8D13.jpeg

83F09E29-5FD2-4A85-8E84-BFA40E7E130B.jpeg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So after finishing the second redneck blind today, I sighted in my new AR10.   Besides wasting a bunch of rounds due to a loose mount,  it seemed to zero in reasonably well.  Started high and then overcorrected low and gradually moved it up but my last 5 shots are those in the black circle including one of the 2 with the dash next to it.  Not 100% sure which one.  In any event, would you be satisfied with that last group?  It’s not clover leaf nor close to my best group  but I guess decent for a 16” barrel semi auto.   Definitely minute of Deer.  Honest opinions?  

Photos are sideways.  Black circle was top of bullseye.  And shots at 110yds. I could add a click or two left but breeze was blowing that direction so I left it as is.

same as the AR15, it seemed to shoot better the more rounds I put through it.   Maybe the oils from manufacturing need to burn out.  Not sure. 

2DAE226B-1E39-4B6F-8543-8A8F29AE8D13.jpeg

83F09E29-5FD2-4A85-8E84-BFA40E7E130B.jpeg

You didn't mention the ammo used or barrel spec, but I'd say a 1.5" group at 110 yds fits that profile.  Nice rig, should drop some deer! :good:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

You didn't mention the ammo used or barrel spec, but I'd say a 1.5" group at 110 yds fits that profile.  Nice rig, should drop some deer! :good:

Used the same ammo that my Sako likes. 308 Winchester powermax bonded 180g.  The barrel is a fluted medium heavy 16”.  I might be able to tighten it up with different ammo but I have lots of the powermax in stock.  Lol

9 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Anything in the 1-1.5" range and I'd be very happy with that particular setup.  As you said, it's for hunting not precision shooting.  

Thanks Jdubs.  I generally agree but tend to expect more.  Lol

• Like 1

I would take it out again and shoot a couple of 3 shot groups...If they are 1.5" or under, I would be very satisfied..Good hunting accuracy...  If not, I'd play around with some other bullet weights, such as 150 grain or 165 grain...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Thanks Jdubs.  I generally agree but tend to expect more.  Lol

A dead deer is a dead deer brother.  It won't be any more dead if you hit vitals .2 MOA better.  

Unless of course you're lining up a Texas Heart Shot like wolc then maybe you'll need to thread that brown-eyed needle. :haha:

8 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

A dead deer is a dead deer brother.  It won't be any more dead if you hit vitals .2 MOA better.  

Unless of course you're lining up a Texas Heart Shot like wolc then maybe you'll need to thread that brown-eyed needle. :haha:

True.  I will get it out once more now that it’s sighted and see how it shoots next try.  I think it will hold that 1.5 moa range which I guess is fine especially at ranges I shoot.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Whats the twist rate on the barrel? That should help pick the bullet gr. 

It’s a faster twist than some.  1x10.  Should be good with heavier 308 like the 180.   I am guessing anything lighter than 165 will be too light.   

8 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Like u said it should like 180's then. Shoot it more it may tighten up. Im kinda picky, im a 1moa kinda guy. Thats as big as i want my groups to be.

I agree Gen.  and it does seem to be shooting tighter the more I shoot.  My 6.8 was the same.  Might be an AR thing breaking in.  

That said, I also agree with Jdubs, it will kill Deer just fine based on my last 5 shots.  

Edited by moog5050

Just shoot it more. Most all my guns can out shoot me. But I get better the more I shoot them. That is a nice looking rifle! Can't wait to see it in a picture of you, and one of those big WNY bucks, this fall!

If I needed a 1" group, I'd have to have throw away my best hunting rifle, the one that has killed many game animals all over North America in the last 40 years....

It is a push feed Winchester M70 in .280 Rem, and on it's BEST day it might group 1.5" at 100 yards, but 1 3/4  to 2" is more the norm...

"Cloverleaf" type accuracy is nice for bragging rights, but not necessary for a hunting rifle...

• Like 5

On 6/2/2018 at 1:50 PM, moog5050 said:

Here she is as well as a view of the carpeted bed sissy truck/shooting bench. 

9DEE74CD-6642-4AD0-A20A-C5509D58DC03.jpeg

Something I noticed that would help groups is to get a free float handguard. With that it will free float the barrel. I wouldn't be upset with that circled group at 100 yards. That last group looks real close to sub MOA, out of a 16" barrel and semi auto that is a nice group. Some bolt rifles don't shoot that nice.