AR10 308 - would you be satisfied?

moog5050

11 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Perfect answers to cure my curiosity. 

When I sight in its always from a sled and I never measure the grouping. All my shooting is for hunting so as long as the grouping of shots are close I call it good.  

I don't typically measure either but those 1" squares on that target face make it easy to estimate. and correct as needed assuming the scope tracks true.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 2:31 PM, Jdubs said:

Anything in the 1-1.5" range and I'd be very happy with that particular setup.  As you said, it's for hunting not precision shooting.  

I agree with the above.  Your groups don't look to be sub MOA, but anything within the 1"-2" realm @ 100 yards is decent enough for a semi-auto rifle.  I'm sure there are semi-auto's that can provide even more accuracy, for a much higher price point.  If the nth degree accuracy is really what you're after (Sub MOA to .5 MOA) your money will be better spent on a bolt gun.

Also, ammo plays a huge role  in all of this.  What load were you shooting?  I can see quite a variation in my groups (.308 FN SPR) depending upon the ammo I'm using.

7 minutes ago, Padre86 said:

I agree with the above.  Your groups don't look to be sub MOA, but anything within the 1"-2" realm @ 100 yards is decent enough for a semi-auto rifle.  I'm sure there are semi-auto's that can provide even more accuracy, for a much higher price point.  If the nth degree accuracy is really what you're after (Sub MOA to .5 MOA) your money will be better spent on a bolt gun.

Also, ammo plays a huge role  in all of this.  What load were you shooting?  I can see quite a variation in my groups (.308 FN SPR) depending upon the ammo I'm using.

If you think sub-MOA is good for an AR, and that they wont hang with a bolt gun, then sorry, but you have no clue about AR platform rifles.

11 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

If you think sub-MOA is good for an AR, and that they wont hang with a bolt gun, then sorry, but you have no clue about AR platform rifles.

I've shot plenty of AR type rifles, so I definitely have a "clue."

Some of the better ones can hit sub-MOA performance.  Others can't.

Same applies for bolt guns.

The difference is that it is a lot easier, and cheaper, to consistently wring sub-MOA performance out of a bolt gun.

• Like 2

I dont care how many youve shot. Doesnt mean you know much about building them.

They are very easy to build into a sub-MOA rifle for a relatively low cost, and using many standard Mil-Spec parts. Its really not that much more expensive than a bolt gun, and they will hang with any bolt gun at the comparable cost. I could put one together for the same money as I have into my Remington 700 deer rifle.

• Like 1

I've shot plenty of AR type rifles, so I definitely have a "clue."
Some of the better ones can hit sub-MOA performance.  Others can't.
Same applies for bolt guns.
The difference is that it is a lot easier, and cheaper, to consistently wring sub-MOA performance out of a bolt gun.
I agree, I've seen and shot a lot including my own and most don't shoot Sub MOA. If you're looking only for sub MOA a bolt gun is often cheaper and easier to achieve it with. I've bought a couple of bolt guns off the shelf and with the right load they will shoot Sub MOA in basically stock form. Can AR's shoot that accurately? Absolutely. Is it as commonplace as bolt guns? I don't think so...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I agree, I've seen and shot a lot including my own and most don't shoot Sub MOA. If you're looking only for sub MOA a bolt gun is often cheaper and easier to achieve it with. I've bought a couple of bolt guns off the shelf and with the right load they will shoot Sub MOA in basically stock form. Can AR's shoot that accurately? Absolutely. Is it as commonplace as bolt guns? I don't think so...

You can buy them off the shelf that will shoot sub-MOA, or you can build one (AR15) for $800 or less, depending on how you source parts. An upper with a good bull barrel, free float handguard, and everything else can be pretty standard. An AR10 is going to cost a bit more.

Ill put money down that Moog can have his rig shooting sub-MOA with the right bullet and load combo.

• Like 2

You can buy them off the shelf that will shoot sub-MOA, or you can build one (AR15) for $800 or less, depending on how you source parts. An upper with a good bull barrel, free float handguard, and everything else can be pretty standard. An AR10 is going to cost a bit more.
Ill put money down that Moog can have his rig shooting sub-MOA with the right bullet and load combo.
I don't doubt with tweaking he can get better groups, I'm not disagreeing fully with you, AR's are capable of phenomenal accuracy. I'm just saying you have a better chance of finding a bolt gun off the shelf for $800 that'll shoot SUB MOA than an AR for $800 hands down in my experience.

29 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I don't doubt with tweaking he can get better groups, I'm not disagreeing fully with you, AR's are capable of phenomenal accuracy. I'm just saying you have a better chance of finding a bolt gun off the shelf for $800 that'll shoot SUB MOA than an AR for $800 hands down in my experience.

Off the shelf? Absolutely. A sub-MOA AR15 off the shelf is going to be a few hundred more unless you get some killer Black Friday deal lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

This gun may very well shoot moa or better.  I really haven’t spent much time with it yet and was sighting it in off the back of the truck on a sandbag.  We shall see. 

Shoot that beauty! Then shoot it some more! It will do all you want and more!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...