AR10 308 - would you be satisfied?

moog5050

On 6/2/2018 at 1:50 PM, moog5050 said:

Here she is as well as a view of the carpeted bed sissy truck/shooting bench. 

9DEE74CD-6642-4AD0-A20A-C5509D58DC03.jpeg

First thing we need to do is get it in my lead sled withe the double rail so the mag and grip are down in between...lol  Sure is a sweet rig. You mentioned burning off the manufacture oils. I would suggest stripping any gun down at purchase and give it a thorough cleaning. I think you are gonna find that gun is capable of better than you even shot on Saturday. 

• Like 1

hard to say. it did throw a few right together. plenty good enough accuracy if you do your part. i'd just burn what you've got for now and if you come across something else buy it and try it.  i wouldn't rule out lighter bullets than 180's despite the twist. on paper and theory everything makes sense. in the real world you just accept a good outcome if you stumble across it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

First thing we need to do is get it in my lead sled withe the double rail so the mag and grip are down in between...lol  Sure is a sweet rig. You mentioned burning off the manufacture oils. I would suggest stripping any gun down at purchase and give it a thorough cleaning. I think you are gonna find that gun is capable of better than you even shot on Saturday. 

I did have to hold the gun butt high to keep it off the rail.  Cleaning?  Nah......   lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I like Winchester brass. I sure would like to see what that rig can do if you want to work up some handloads for it. 

I need to grab a brass catcher, but seriously, you can have whatever I shoot.  It tends to spray them throughout by truck bed now.  lol  I do have some used brass for you though. 

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I second bobs comment. Get that thing in a proper rest, and play with bullet weights. That gun will do better than even that last group. Last AR10 I had experience with, punched cloverleafs all day long off of a solid rest. You got a decent group out of it, plenty good enough for hunting, but you ought to do some fine tuning if you want to get the most out of it.

8 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I second bobs comment. Get that thing in a proper rest, and play with bullet weights. That gun will do better than even that last group. Last AR10 I had experience with, punched cloverleafs all day long off of a solid rest. You got a decent group out of it, plenty good enough for hunting, but you ought to do some fine tuning if you want to get the most out of it.

Yep.  I was just telling Bob that it was really a rough sighting in as I was leaning on the tailgate of the truck with no seat after putting the blind up.  But I wanted to get it close enough to hunt with if needed.  When I have time, I will actually use a proper bench at a range. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

you know what I really like about this gun....or should I say what I like that it doesn't have? lol

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

you know what I really like about this gun....or should I say what I like that it doesn't have? lol

The 458 has one but I was assured I would want it for reduced recoil.   Then again, maybe I was just sold a $90 upgrade.

Edited by moog5050

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The 458 has one but I was assured I would want it for reduced recoil.   Then again, maybe I was just sold a $90 upgrade.

A guy your size should be able to handle 50 BMG with no brake. You got ripped off. Brakes are for short little guys like me. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Curiosity, When you guys mention 1 or 1.5 MOA is that free hand just resting on a table or is that in a lead sled? 

Moho

I shot a 1" last group with my 6.8 with just a bag on the truck tailgate.  This was with a lead sled but the same in terms of shooting off the truck gate.  Neither were ideal as I was leaning over to shoot without a chair at the right height.  If I really want to dial it in, a proper bench and lead sled is the way to go for sighting in - IMO.  Then I have no excuse when shooting lousy without it and know the gun's real capability.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Moho

I shot a 1" last group with my 6.8 with just a bag on the truck tailgate.  This was with a lead sled but the same in terms of shooting off the truck gate.  Neither were ideal as I was leaning over to shoot without a chair at the right height.  If I really want to dial it in, a proper bench and lead sled is the way to go for sighting in - IMO.  Then I have no excuse when shooting lousy without it and know the gun's real capability.

I shot with a buddy that had a hydraulic trigger release and a lead sled. Amazing how much movement you impart on a gun even in a sled. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

IMO. if you are evaluating the rifle and load combination for accuracy, you want as much of the human element as possible removed. 

21 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Moho

Perfect answers to cure my curiosity. 

When I sight in its always from a sled and I never measure the grouping. All my shooting is for hunting so as long as the grouping of shots are close I call it good.  

• Like 1