5th anniversary

alloutdoors

It occurred to me that this year marked an important occasion, five spring seasons in the books since my switch to a 20ga.  :D 

It's been one of the best turkey hunting decisions I ever made, I wouldn't go back to a 12ga if someone paid me. It's significantly lighter than my old 870 and just a dream to carry, and my ears no longer ring for 5 minutes after a shot. Over five years of hunting with it I've carried it in four states and managed to kill birds in three of those, including taking a public land Osceola in Florida. I've pulled the trigger thirteen times on spring gobblers, at distances from 12 to 41 yards, and each one has dropped like it was hit by lightning. Two birds in Maine were taken with Federal Heavyweight 6's, the rest fell to Heavyweight 7's.

My collection of shells from successful hunts. I record the date, location, distance, and stats of the bird on each shell. Eight of these birds were 3-years old or older, the other five were two-year olds (although two of them were over 3/4" but under 1", so a bit of a gray area). The NY birds were killed as early as May 1st and as late as May 22nd. The best set of spurs from this bunch was 1 3/8". Heaviest bird was 22lbs 9oz, and the lightest was 16lbs 4oz.

42517244982_a825c49a3e_o.jpg

_DSC3917 by Shadow Hills Photography, on Flickr

A few of the birds that have dropped to the 20.

40760661220_e6c639689a_o.jpg

_Q7Q7968 by Shadow Hills Photography, on Flickr

41846558704_2dc400a74f_o.jpg

_Q7Q8070 by Shadow Hills Photography, on Flickr

28695313218_f8f94eccda_o.jpg

_DSC2389 by Shadow Hills Photography, on Flickr

42517207552_f224d8d4a1_o.jpg

_DSC2394 by Shadow Hills Photography, on Flickr

42569055901_71f76d28d6_o.jpg

IMG_2326 by Shadow Hills Photography, on Flickr

42517227422_26d62a5c6f_o.jpg

_B8I5994 by Shadow Hills Photography, on Flickr

• Like 10

I'm surprised your ears can tell the difference between a 12 and a 20.........I don't think mine (what's left of them anyways) can. 

That's a Benelli right, what's it weigh?  I can see how that lightweight can be an advantage....I don't recall the weight of my nearly 20 year old SBE is but what I do know is it is considerably lighter than my buddies Ithaca Mag 10.  :)       

That Ithaca was one of a bunch Dick Kirby bought from Ithaca back when that model was first introduced in (IIRC) the mid 70's......A few buddies were connected in that deal.

Yea, the lightweight guns are alright with me too.

• Like 1

Yes, a Benelli M2. It's right around 5.5lbs if I remember right. I don't really notice any difference in noise at the shot itself, I can't say I ever really noticed the noise of my 870 when shooting at a bird, but with the 12 my ears would be ringing afterward and my hearing was sort of muted like I had my head underwater for several minutes. I've never experienced anything like that since switching to the 20.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I've got a single shot 20 H&R with a 28" barrel, 3" mag. 

Also have a Rem 1187 NWTF 12g with a 24" (IIRC) and a Rem 870 12g with a 30" both 3” mag. Can't tell any difference noise wise, but the single shot H&R is definitely lighter. 

Congrats man!

I made the switch this year to a 20ga. Using my handloads of TSS 8s. I have a setup in 870 Rem and 500 Mossberg. The guns are much lighter no doubt, and a dream to carry for sure. But the powder charge in the handload 20ga, is not much less than that of the factory 12 ga turkey loads. Which luckily we dont normally feel the "kick" while in the woods. I was quite surprised in the difference between a factory 20ga turkey shell and the Handloads of TSS. Not that it deters me at all. My 20ga will outperform my 12ga with lead all day long. 

Next year Im hoping to tote a 28ga or 410! 

• Like 1

My sis uses a Mossburg 500 20ga. with factory full choke and is two for two so far at 20 and 30yds. 

Nice light gun for sure, and it keeeeels.... as long as you pattern and know it's limitations!

I still like my 12ga single shot for effectiveness, carrying, and simplicity.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 1

Nice looking Yelper as well.  What wood is that? I only use Yelpers or wingbones maybe 20 percent of the time. I lost a Beautiful African Blackwood Yelper in the Fall Turkey Woods a good 12 years ago. Cost me 150 Bucks! It had a Ivory mouthpiece.    My Fav Yelper now is my Bocote Yelper.  Here is a pic.
20180605_092159.thumb.jpg.71b7ec16e599f9cfcb5833f6e75f4eb8.jpg
It's cocobolo with a horn mouthpiece. It was made by a friend of mine in GA, and he swapped it with me for a wingbone I made.

• Like 1

Can’t ditch my 1187 spt shooting 3.5”. Cost me 1200 at the time , many birds ago. I’ve toted my daughters remmy youth 20 a few times. Definitely lighter and shorter. Ears have never rang on a bird. What ?! I can’t hear you. I’d love to pick up a 20 for myself but can’t justify not taking my tried and true.  And mama might notice a new one in the safe 

• Like 1

as long as you pattern and know it's limitations!

That's true of any gun, regardless of gauge. With the right choke and load, a 20 will out shoot the traditional 12ga with #5 lead combo all day long. If you only want to shoot to 40 yards, as well as allowing for some fudge factor, then the 20 isn't limited at all when used with today's heavier than lead loads. Heck, these days even a .410 can be turned into a legit 40 yard stone dead turkey killer with TSS 9's.

• Like 2

My daughter's turkey gun is a Mossy 500 20ga. Its small, light and real easy on the shoulder. Her and I each killed a bird with it this year. She shoots 3" HEVI-Shot triple beard with the factory choke. 40 yards is entirely doable with the gun. If/when I buy a dedicated turkey gun, it will be a 20.

• Like 3