ODYSSEUS

FALL TURKEY DOGGING.

Brother used to have a lot of success hunting fall birds with a dog.  Dog would get on birds , bust them up , cover up dog and call em back in. 

• Like 2

I have a dropper (pointer/setter mix), I got her from a breeder in Virginia whose family has been breeding turkey dogs a number of years. Her name is Maizy, she is my pride & joy, and as crazy as it sounds, I love her as much as I do my wife or kids. She lives for the months of October-January, and we hunt a lot of states surrounding us, including NY. Our dance card is pretty full for the upcoming fall, but if anyone is interested in getting together some time down the road and trying to get a fall bird, send me a PM, and maybe we can make something happen. We enjoy guiding other people as much as we enjoy hunting for ourselves (no fee involved).

12235030_1067628013250094_5009131867714649372_n.jpg

14524364_587846161415559_3939202980458597138_o.jpg

15230820_611011802432328_3670712518521658577_n.jpg

15268039_613629468837228_2165931337090505231_n.jpg

22553384_769868606546646_8915458899604091029_o.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the pics and story Uncle Nicky!  Maizy looks ready!!    I like that Safety orange around her.     

Here is a story that a guy I guided last year wrote about us. It gives you a pretty good idea what a typical day is like, it's not the slam dunk that a lot of non-fall hunters think that it is.

Maizy doesn't really care much for the vest, but I don't want to take any chances on public land, you never know.

http://adventureswithken.com/fall-turkey-doggin-adventure-first-time-ever/

• Like 1

I have 2 Brothers in law who used to be very avid upland hunters. Both can't hunt anymore due to back problems. Mark of course took near 70 wild Turkeys and is my age-- 58. Bill is 59 and has taken just 1 wild Turkey. A Fall Jenny.  Cody flushed a Fall Flock in the Hardwoods just out of our sight and Bill gave a lead nearly overhead and down came a Jenny. We were pheasant hunting at the time and walking a woods road to the pheasant fields.  I had a feeling this might happen and don't think I put a Bell on Cody's collar.

• Like 1

My friend has dogs he hunts all over the east with them . Been on cover of a few magazines with his dogs. Fun to watch work and it cuts down on the sprint to break up birds and replaced it with a nice strolll

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

I remember in the late 1990s, I was hot on the trail of a Family Flock. Mark was with me and we could hear contented Turkey talk around the bend in the woods road. They were headed for the parking area though. Before, I could get close enough to scatter them to the 4 winds-- I heard bells from Pheasant dogs and then a good 12 shots from at least 3 pheasant hunters.  They scattered them first and had a good time! I remember machinegun Italian or Polish from 3-4 hunters. They were yelling loud. Never found out how many were taken as Mark and I got out of there as the shots were close.  Probably at least 4-5 turkeys were taken though.  Hope they all had Turkey permits...... Just hoping in the present day with Fall Turkey in mid October now instead of Oct 1st with pheasant-- that pheasant hunting parties of 2-4 men will hold off from shooting a flushed up flock that are flying.     My guess though with really no one to check pheasant vests -- the new Fall regs are decimating some Fall flocks . And if the brood hen is one of them-- the young may be hard pressed to survive the Winter.     I am a die hard pheasant hunter as well and I have been around hundreds of different pheasant hunters since 1974 when I started out.  Alot go by-- if it flys-- it dies.....  If DEC READS THIS-- START CHECKING PHEASANT HUNTERS AT STEWART STATE FOREST THIS OCTOBER.

Bill, you sure do seem to like to cast aspersions on other hunters... I think this is at least the third time I've seen you not-so-subtly suggest that pheasant hunters are poaching turkeys. That's not counting the story you opened the above post with, implying that the hunters might not have had turkey tags. (And what does the language they were speaking have to do with anything? Just throwing in some xenophobia for good measure?)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bill I have read a bunch of stories from guys in Virginia or West Virginia dogging them and it has always intrigued me. If I remember correctly they have been hunting them with dogs down there for years and it’s a tradition.

• Like 2

Right Trad Bow. A long tradition. I always wanted to book a Fall Turkey Hunt up at TURKEY TROT ACRES. Think that is in Candor,NY. They use Turkey Dogs.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:28 PM, Bill Schmidt said:

Right Trad Bow. A long tradition. I always wanted to book a Fall Turkey Hunt up at TURKEY TROT ACRES. Think that is in Candor,NY. They use Turkey Dogs.

Also, check out Kevin Evans, who owns Turkey Ridge Raquette in West Winfield, NY. He also guides for fall turkey hunts with dogs, he has great properties, and great dogs also. He helped me train my dog, Maizy. Heck of a nice guy. https://turkeyridgehunts.com/turkey-dogs/

• Like 1

Here is an interesting pic from a time when there were no limits or Seasons. I count 20 wild turkeys hanging along with a coyote and a deer.

20180613_111343.jpg

Check out the Hunter on the extreme right next to his dog. The picture caught him looking to the extreme left at someone else's Hunting dog.Anyones guess what he is thinking. His fellow Hunter though is aware of him as is obvious.