Anthony Bourdain dead at 61 rip

Hunter007

What a shame. I thought it was a hoax at first. He was always an odd character so hearing he had depression doesnt surprise me at all. Its hard to fathom doing such a thing, but when your at your lowest I guess anything is possible. Hopefully such tragerdies will help educate people against doing such things. 

8 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

What a shame. I thought it was a hoax at first. He was always an odd character so hearing he had depression doesnt surprise me at all. Its hard to fathom doing such a thing, but when your at your lowest I guess anything is possible. Hopefully such tragerdies will help educate people against doing such things. 

Unfortunately there is no "educating" people in this mindset. I wouldn't have known him if he had knocked on my door, but having lived through someone close to me committing suicide it sure is sad. Everything can seem normal on the outside and none of us really know the torment that lives in other people under the surface. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Unfortunately there is no "educating" people in this mindset. I wouldn't have known him if he had knocked on my door, but having lived through someone close to me committing suicide it sure is sad. Everything can seem normal on the outside and none of us really know the torment that lives in other people under the surface. 

Unfortuntely I believe you are right. I don't think there is much educating that can be done when someone has those thoughts

He did seem like a very unique character.  It is well known that he used some heavy drugs in the past and has even smoked pot on some of his TV episodes.  He did have a very interesting TV show.  Even had a few episodes involving hunting and game meat.  That's the thing with drug use.  If it doesn't kill you quickly from an overdose it can mess you up in other ways down the road.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, steve863 said:

He did seem like a very unique character.  It is well known that he used some heavy drugs in the past and has even smoked pot on some of his TV episodes.  He did have a very interesting TV show.  Even had a few episodes involving hunting and game meat.  That's the thing with drug use.  If it doesn't kill you quickly from an overdose it can mess you up in other ways down the road.

So true, drugs and alcohol abuse can effect all parts of the body even the mind .

I suspect this is the case with so many celebrities that kill themselfs  that had it all .

They think the drugs are going to make them feel happy in the end it has the opposite affect overtime. 

Really liked watching his No Reservations show. As far as hunting goes, he was unapologetic about where food comes from and wasn't afraid to show it. He also did a great episode with Ted Nugent where he got Ted to drink the second beer in his life which you can probably find online.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tough time understanding why someone who seemingly has it all does this. He was lucky enough to get out of the restaurant scene, and become a celebrity. Maybe the fame and attention drove him to it?

I learned to cook at the same school he did, and worked as a chef for a number of years, fortunately I got out while I still was somewhat young and still had some of my marbles. Very high paced, high pressure, borderline abusive environment. You have to love the business or you will wash out. 

Some of the craziest people I have worked with were executive chefs at the country club where I run my summer camp. Angry, bitter, stingy, perfectionists, did I say angry?!?
The line cooks on the other hand are awesome. They just bang out food and have some great sense of humor (if you know Spanish)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know nothing of his evils, but a person who is chronically depressed is in the depths of hell when they drop into the depths of it. All they can focus on is the escaping of the pain. Illicit drug use/alcohol messes with any medically prescribed pharmaceutical regimen that may help with it, and certainly the pressures of his occupation and lifestyle affect it. I hope he ate sushi that day.

I always enjoyed his shows, but I don't think I would have enjoyed his company too much.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Tough time understanding why someone who seemingly has it all does this. He was lucky enough to get out of the restaurant scene, and become a celebrity. Maybe the fame and attention drove him to it?

I learned to cook at the same school he did, and worked as a chef for a number of years, fortunately I got out while I still was somewhat young and still had some of my marbles. Very high paced, high pressure, borderline abusive environment. You have to love the business or you will wash out. 

At this point in his life he did not need money anymore so was not the  job that made him do this , probably has to do with his wife leaving him 

And his drug and alcohol abuse.

Rip Anthony Bourdain No reservations was one of my favorite shows. Really liked how he wasn't afraid to express himself and show who he really was. My favorite quote from him." I'm a total egg slut". Will miss his commentary on all sort's topics. 

You sure that wasn’t Nomad’s quote from the dinner thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk