Pulled Pork Question

moog5050

So I plan to make some pulled pork for my father's BDay party tomorrow.  My thought is to season and smoke the pork butt tonight  for a couple of hours, refrigerate and then throw it in the crock pot all day tomorrow with a can of rootbeer.  Drain, add sauce and good to go.

1.  Should I cold smoke the butt or put it on low heat (170-180ish)?

2.  Crock pot on high or low (assume low as it will sit for 10 hours or so)?

3.  Any other suggestions that I may be missing?

Thanks to all the master chefs.

22 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So I plan to make some pulled pork for my father's BDay party tomorrow.  My thought is to season and smoke the pork butt tonight  for a couple of hours, refrigerate and then throw it in the crock pot all day tomorrow with a can of rootbeer.  Drain, add sauce and good to go.

1.  Should I cold smoke the butt or put it on low heat (170-180ish)?

2.  Crock pot on high or low (assume low as it will sit for 10 hours or so)?

3.  Any other suggestions that I may be missing?

Thanks to all the master chefs.

I would not be afraid cut the butt into sections to increase the smoke contact. (depends on how much smokey flavor you want....select wood accordingly). low is fine for that period of time. When you drain the fluid out of the crockpot, save it until everything is mixed.  Sometimes it helps to add a touch back in with the BBQ sauce so that you can get an even coating without having to over sauce it. I prefer just a light coating of sauce and sometimes even use cider vinegar to cut the sauce. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I'm no chef, master or otherwise. My wife is the resident master at our home. But I know some others here are really good, and will chime in.

The reason for my posting, is to wish your Dad a very Happy Birthday!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I would not be afraid cut the butt into sections to increase the smoke contact. (depends on how much smokey flavor you want....select wood accordingly). low is fine for that period of time. When you drain the fluid out of the crockpot, save it until everything is mixed.  Sometimes it helps to add a touch back in with the BBQ sauce so that you can get an even coating without having to over sauce it. I prefer just a light coating of sauce and sometimes even use cider vinegar to cut the sauce. 

Thanks Bob.  It was you that gave me the idea with the pulled pork in Canada!

• Like 1

no master chef.  i just made some the other night that came out just fine.  i always season well with dry rub and put in fridge to let sit and draw it all in.  you could season and smoke it under low temp for a couple hours.  i don't know how lean the cut is but you have to be careful with cockpots.  fat side up if there is one. only on low for a good 10+ hours. when the fat renders off it you don't want the butt sitting in the melted fat the whole time. it'll over power any favor you're trying for and it'll just seem greasy.

• Like 1

Cut off fat cap and any small pockets of fat- rub pork butt and  with yellow mustard (won't taste it upon eating) ,generous amount of dry rub (we like coffee rub), smoke for 4 or so hours at 225- throw in crock pot on low (with a rootbeer, dr pepper, dopplebock beer or any of these )  20-24 hours on low, house will smell amazing . I've never drained fluid from crockpot. Just remove the shoulder bone with a pair of tongs (not thongs as my autocorrect wanted to say)  stir with tongs or wooden spoon  It'll shred by stirring  Juices should meld with what you've just stirred  Normally we don't add bbq sauce into the pork but will add atop our sammich as we're eating  Buy some shredded cabbage in a bag, add apple cider vinegar and mayo to make your slaw stirring in a bowl to taste  Hope this helps. And I'm about  to do this soon  Thanks for the reminder

Mesquite and hickory tend to be too smoky for us   Pecan, apple are my go to

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

.....Mesquite and hickory tend to be too smoky for us   Pecan, apple are my go to

mesquite is a pretty bold smoke for many.  i usually use something more mild for pork with apple or cherry, and then mix in a little hickory to finish at the end.

• Like 1

Yea TF has it pretty solid. I do not crock pot it as I usually am doing more than a normal man's crock pot would fit lol.

I will yellow mustard, then dry rub, smoke for 6+ hours at 220-240 then wrap in foil with some apple juice till I get to temp.

The one thing I do different is when I shred I am a bit anal and remove any fat I see, I want all meat. I also don't add any BBQ Sauce that is a condiment to go on top and as a dip. I shred and put some finishing sauce on it, which is apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, Tony Chachere's and pepper. Slaw and a good bun.

Yum

• Like 2

When I smoke a shoulder I usually do it on a round Weber, indirect heat(200• or so). I also like to mop it with a vinegar/jalapeño/onion/brown sugar mop sauce every hour or so. But that’s when I fully cook it under hickory smoke and indirect heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I smoke a shoulder I usually do it on a round Weber, indirect heat(200• or so). I also like to mop it with a vinegar/jalapeño/onion/brown sugar mop sauce every hour or so. But that’s when I fully cook it under hickory smoke and indirect heat

My coke slaw is without mayo - apple cider vinegar base(North Carolina coke slaw-Steve Rachlin)

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Cut off fat cap and any small pockets of fat- rub pork butt and  with yellow mustard (won't taste it upon eating) ,generous amount of dry rub (we like coffee rub), smoke for 4 or so hours at 225- throw in crock pot on low (with a rootbeer, dr pepper, dopplebock beer or any of these )  20-24 hours on low, house will smell amazing . I've never drained fluid from crockpot. Just remove the shoulder bone with a pair of tongs (not thongs as my autocorrect wanted to say)  stir with tongs or wooden spoon  It'll shred by stirring  Juices should meld with what you've just stirred  Normally we don't add bbq sauce into the pork but will add atop our sammich as we're eating  Buy some shredded cabbage in a bag, add apple cider vinegar and mayo to make your slaw stirring in a bowl to taste  Hope this helps. And I'm about  to do this soon  Thanks for the reminder

Mesquite and hickory tend to be too smoky for us   Pecan, apple are my go to

This is it, sage in the rub also goes good with the Dr Pepper

Ok so question:

i smokec it yesterday for 3 hours on 210 and then in the crock pot in low for another 3-4hours.  When I Checked it before bed, it was already falling apart.  Decided to turn it off and turned it back on low this morning.  Smells amazing but can I over cook pulled pork? Wondering if I should turn it to warm after a few more hours.  Just don’t want it to be mushy.  

This is a 7lb shoulder if that matters. 

15 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Ample juices in crockpot ? If so , nope , won’t over cook. Let her rock for a few more hours. Usually have mine in crock for 20-24 hours on low. Try some.  If you think it’s done and it’s falling off the bone throw it on warm. 

Yes about 1/2 way up roast.   Good deal.  Thanks TF.  

7 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Moog....how was it after all??? Did I miss the final result post somewhere?

Sorry, I never followed up as I was too busy eating.  Came out perfect.  The talk of the party.  Thanks for everyone's help.  My family now thinks I am the official master of smoked pulled pork!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is old but I’m gunna chime in, I don’t know why anyone would ever put pulled pork in a crock pot if you have a smoker. Season well with what ever rub you want, smoke at 175-190 for 10 hours if it starts to burn cover with foil... no crock pot Necessary

• Like 1