Pulled Pork Question

moog5050

I know this thread is old but I’m gunna chime in, I don’t know why anyone would ever put pulled pork in a crock pot if you have a smoker. Season well with what ever rub you want, smoke at 175-190 for 10 hours if it starts to burn cover with foil... no crock pot Necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t crock either unless warming up later.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I know this thread is old but I’m gunna chime in, I don’t know why anyone would ever put pulled pork in a crock pot if you have a smoker. Season well with what ever rub you want, smoke at 175-190 for 10 hours if it starts to burn cover with foil... no crock pot Necessary

Because the pork butt only takes smoke for so long , say 3-4 hours. The crockpot finishes the cooking and no pulling and shredding necessary. I’ve done the ten hour thing and pulled my pork by hand :rolleyes:

Need to then reheat. I’ll never not do the smoker then crock pot method again. Pull out bone with tongs and stir..also noticed any residual fat is all but gone .  Wallah , shredded and tender as all get out. My .02 

i prefer by hand so I get no non meat chunks in mine. Like chunks of fat or grizzle from near the bone. I feel one bite of that mixed in an otherwise great sandwich is a complete disaster and would ruin the meal and my reputation!!!

Plus I don't think one butt would fit in my crock and i sometimes do up to 4 or 5 at a time, no fooling around here!!

Because the pork butt only takes smoke for so long , say 3-4 hours. The crockpot finishes the cooking and no pulling and shredding necessary. I’ve done the ten hour thing and pulled my pork by hand default_rolleyes.gif
Need to then reheat. I’ll never not do the smoker then crock pot method again. Pull out bone with tongs and stir..also noticed any residual fat is all but gone .  Wallah , shredded and tender as all get out. My .02 

Yea I get the Idea behind why you do it that way I just find it pointless... I pull it straight out of the smoker I use yellow dish gloves and eat right away

For a smoked pork roast, I rub it with mustard, and spice it rather heavily, after 4 hours of smoke (hickory) I cover it with tin foil, add some water to the pan, and let it go another 10-12 hours, depending on the size of the roast. It rivals anything I've ever had in Dixie. But no reason why you couldn't finish it in a crock pot, it would save on fuel or electric, is easier to watch, and sure does make the house smell good. :D

For Italian pork, strictly in the crock pot. 1 can of beer, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. I used to cook it in the oven because that's what I learned in a restaurant, but have since seen the error of my ways.

More often than not, I use wild hog, I kill a couple most years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

i prefer by hand so I get no non meat chunks in mine. Like chunks of fat or grizzle from near the bone. I feel one bite of that mixed in an otherwise great sandwich is a complete disaster and would ruin the meal and my reputation!!!

Mine comes out so tender, I just have to take a pair of tongs, give it a stir, and it's shredded. My kids bought me these meat shredder tools a few years ago, don't have the heart to tell them, but I've never used them, they are just taking up room in the drawer. They look like weapons, LOL.

thumbnail_Picture0628180619_1.jpg

• Like 1