scanoe motor

rachunter

I just picked up a 14' coleman scanoe off craigslist was wondering how stable they are with a gas motor and how many h.p ? I've had kayaks before but never been in a canoe.this weekend i'm going to try it out with a 55 pound thrust electric motor and paddling. also the seats look like back breakers i'd like to get ones with backrest.i utubed it but those guys seemed to be out for speed I just want to fish off it.

Had a buddy a few years ago ,he took one to the canal . I can't remember how many horse the motor was but he got thing up to speed and it start violently shaking back and forth until he roled it over . He had been drinking all day while he conjured up this idea too . Good times ,RIP john . 

• Like 2

I've got an Old Town squareback canoe, not too much different than a Scanoe. I've run a 55 lb. Minn Kota, and a Yamaha 4hp gas outboard on it which moves it along about as fast as I'd want on a canoe. Fairly stable with two people, although I wouldn't take a shap turn at WOT. Stay within the capacity plate maximum. Fun little boat with an outboard.

IMG_3755.jpg

• Like 2

I have a 14 foot Sportspal that I used to run a 3.5hp motor on. Years back switched to a 55lb electric. Pushes the canoe just as good and is quiet and much better for fishing. Also when out by yourself you can move the battery up front and it helps keep the nose of the canoe down. There should be a plate on the stern of your canoe that lists the maximum recommended horsepower and payload.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1