Would you shoot a piebald deer ?

rob-c

Seeing non typicals trail cam photo , and when I posted  back in  the live from the woods thread a photo of our little piebald  doe and the comments that we’re made on both threads.  So would you shoot one or let em go? My wife and I both had shots at the little piebald , but we decided to let her go. 

Edited by rob-c

10 minutes ago, rob-c said:

My wife and I both had shots at the 'little" piebald , but we decided to let her go. 

For me the key word in that quote is "little" the color would have very little bearing. I have come across quite a few odd color mutations when hunting such as an almost all white coon, black squirrels and woodchucks, red coyotes and almost black foxes, none got a free pass because of their color.

If I had a nice size piebald doe present herself during season and I had a permit she would get shot and the same would go for a piebald buck.

Al

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, airedale said:

For me the key word in that quote is "little" the color would have very little bearing. I have come across quite a few odd color mutations when hunting such as an almost all white coon, black squirrels and woodchucks, red coyotes and almost black foxes, none got a free pass because of their color.

If I had a nice size piebald doe present herself during season and I had a permit she would get shot and the same would go for a piebald buck.

Al

This... ^^^^^

I think i would give any piebald/albino a pass.  I was always told they are as untouchable of an animal as a bald eagle and you let them walk.  I have never seen one in person but it would be very cool to see one.   But i would never be mad if someone i knew took one unless it was a skipper.  

Minutes after daughter shot her first deer last year , field dressed and back in ground blind we saw a black button buck.  It happened fast and she couldn’t get on him. I should have touched one off but ideally wanted her to double up and take him. Sort of regret not taking him now. Pretty neat to see and doubt I’ll ever see another. Re piebald.  Decent sized deer and I have a tag it’ll eat the same. 

• Like 4

If I have the permit, need meat in the freezer, the deer offers a good shot, and is big enough, I'm shooting. Could care less what color it is.

That said, seeing natures oddities in the wild, is pretty cool.

• Like 4

Nope. She'll be getting a pass from me. If it was a buck, then he'd have to be a mature buck that is as big as any other mature buck that I would harvest. I have no interest in harvesting a piebald. But I will enjoy seeing them when I'm in the woods. 

• Like 2

Perhaps my only hunting  regret was letting one walk twice in one day, a small buck,  back when 1 1/2 were fair game to me .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

5 hours ago, grampy said:

That said, seeing natures oddities in the wild, is pretty cool

It took great restraint, not to make a comment on that one........

btw Im posting from East Greenbush, if that’s near you ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

It took great restraint, not to make a comment on that one........

btw Im posting from East Greenbush, if that’s near you ?

I'm only 20 min from you. Live near Lebanon valley speedway.