Would you shoot a piebald deer ?

rob-c

5 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

It took great restraint, not to make a comment on that one........

btw Im posting from East Greenbush, if that’s near you ?

Yes, about  20-25 minutes away. Look over across the river to the Helderburg Hills, we are near there. Just got home, wish I'd seen this earlier. You still in the area?

Edited by grampy

For those that say full body mount. I skin this buck for a 3/4 mount after it got to taxidermist he recommended this mount as the little bit more white that would of shown was not worth the jump in price. I deferred to his judgement and am.very pleased. They were 2 all white does with brown patches on their heads for several years on my.property they were both poached and heads cut off. I assume this was one of their off spring though. FB_IMG_1528700312130.thumb.jpg.c3175caa91f66a6e9000e9b8d53424d0.jpg I think he kind of looks like the joker with the extra white making him smile.

• Like 4

Just out of curiosity, why would those of you who would pass on a piebald do so, if it met all other acceptable criteria? I really don't understand the logic behind that decision. The only reason I could possibly think of to pass on one is the fact that it looks more like some farmer's goat than a deer ..... lol.

Seriously.....what are the thoughts behind that decision?

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Just out of curiosity, why would those of you who would pass on a piebald do so, if it met all other acceptable criteria? I really don't understand the logic behind that decision. The only reason I could possibly think of to pass on one is the fact that it looks more like some farmer's goat than a deer ..... lol.

I have never seen a Pie Bald Deer on the property I hunt and if its a Doe there are plenty regular Doe's too choose from . If its a Buck I would take it during the last week of gun season (southern tier) in the hope that by then it passed its genes along - even though some consider its gene's to be inferior  ! But there's no doubt someone would pop it before then !

Edited by GreeneHunter

19 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I have never seen a Pie Bald Deer on the property I hunt and if its a Doe there are plenty regular Doe's too choose from . If its a Buck I would take it during the last week of gun season (southern tier) in the hope that by then it passed its genes along - even though some consider its gene's to be inferior  ! But there's no doubt someone would pop it before then !

Yeah, the genes for these kinds of oddities are truly recessive and not representative of the species. But to me it is simply a coloration variation that makes the critter look odd and weird and probably is not anything I would have any reason to perpetuate. But I do appreciate that other people have their own reasons for their choices, and that's why I asked the question. I do appreciate the rarity factor. It's kind of like white or black deer. It is a neat thing to see because not everyone has seen one. But, in my mind that does not mean that I would have any reason to have a hand in perpetuating the freakism ......lol.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If it was a doe, I would pass because I would enjoy seeing her in the woods more than once. I don't have a place to hang a hide on the wall nor the desire. Having a cell phone in the woods and getting a video of her walking by would be enough satisfaction for me. 

If it was a buck, he would get a pass as well unless he met my standards for any other buck that I'd shoot. I'd much rather shoot a mature piebald buck that would really be worthy of a mount rather than a young buck just because of his coat. I get a lot of enjoyment of letting deer walk and seeing them grow. And even more enjoyment of harvesting a mature buck that became mature because of decisions that I made on letting him walk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I would not shoot one cause I only have seen one in my area. I also remember as a kid seeing a all white buck in my area.

In an area I hunt now there is a  deer I call sox. His legs from the middle down are all white, kinda cool.

Myself, I would not shoot one. Maybe if it was buck with a few years under his belt. But even then I would probably have to force myself to do so. Id love to see it hang around and grow old. Gain a little history, but thats just me. Have already let a giant doe walk on my property in Macedon a few years ago, several times. She looked like a cow coming through the woods.

I just find some really cool majestic type of thing related with each piebald/white deer Ive seen. Id hate to pass it and see one of the d-bag neighbors smash it. But thats life. What I would love to see is a youth hunter, an old timer or lucky lady hunter take it. But personally I probably wouldn't, unless it was a "boy deer" lol, and met my standards for buck harvest. Doe, Id gladly take a different one to watch her in the future..

• Like 1

Since I've never seen one in the wild, my inclination is NOT to shoot one. A decision made while sitting on back deck with a brew or in front of my PC... Sitting in the stand and having a piebald of either sex or size walk in front of me, would totally depend on the situation or how that specific deer got my adrenaline pumping!! Might change my initial decision to NOT shoot one....

I actually had an almost completely white doe come with in 20 yards of me 2 years ago last day of the season. I had to resist taking her becuase the landowner really liked watching her and so did all the neighbors. Really sucks too  becuase it was killed by a car later in the winter

we've had one before and have one now. some local people like watching it and there's plenty other deer so, no i won't.  they often have genetic deficiencies of some kind outside the obvious color. still it's a drop in the bucket and can't control genetics in free range deer like a deer farmer can in a fence. it is cool to see how long they live. though this current one will be a 1.5 years old come fall.

• Like 1