Lack of small fish around Buffalo on Lake Erie

wolc123

Has anyone else noticed this trend ?  We were out last Sunday for about 8 hours and landed about 25 smallmouth bass, the smallest of which was 16" long and the largest 19-1/2".  I was hoping for some walleyes and maybe a "keeper" bass (must be over 20" at this time).  We started at 7:30 am, off the windmills in about 30 feet.  I did see one walleye that looked to be about 18" caught in another boat (there were about 50 out there), but we had no luck in that spot.  We moved to Seneca shoal, where there were 5 or 6 boats drifting, but no luck there either and the light East wind died off completely soon after we got there.   Next we moved down closer to the mouth of the Niagara, where the river pull was enough to move the boat in the "dead calm" conditions.  We started catching bass on nearly every drift, as well as a 26" walleye (the only fish that we kept), a sheephead that probably weighed 10 pounds, and a silver bass that was also quite large for that species.   I was thankful for that big walleye, which produced enough meat for my family of four along with leftovers for me at work the next day.  The big ones taste a lot better early in the year, before they start suspending under that "zoo-plankton", and the meat takes on that unpleasant flavor.   

I noticed a ton of cormorants nesting on the "round-house" water intake and the little island between it and Canada.   We could smell their crap as it hit the water while we were drifting by and it smelled just like rotten fish.  I wonder if that might be where all the small fish have gone.    I always liked fishing around Buffalo Harbor on opening weekend of bass season, but that outing convinced me to head further West the this year, where hopefully there will be more of those tasty young 12"-16" bass available.     

Buddy has been hammering smallies at the round house , bird island , south and north gap. Cormorants are a pita. Get ripping on his nitro at 65 and they’re fair game. Crazy how shallow it gets at mouth of Niagara just past round house at border    Whatcha using ? Crayfish? Gulp Minnie’s ? Drop shotting ?

49 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Buddy has been hammering smallies at the round house , bird island , south and north gap. Cormorants are a pita. Get ripping on his nitro at 65 and they’re fair game. Crazy how shallow it gets at mouth of Niagara just past round house at border    Whatcha using ? Crayfish? Gulp Minnie’s ? Drop shotting ?

I am too cheap to use anything but my own hand poured and tied bucktail jigs (all I need to buy is the hooks).    Lures and bait is expensive and a pain to deal with.  About 20 years, I hooked and lost the largest walleye I ever saw, very close to that round house.    That is part of the reason why we went back to that spot on Sunday.   We considered trying to hook a cormorant as they swooped overhead last Sunday, so that we could enjoy the "aerial battle".  I did that by accident when I was a kid, down at the Disney Fort wilderness campground in Florida, with a Great Blue Heron.  

Edited by wolc123

24 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am too cheap to use anything but my own hand poured and tied bucktail jigs (all I need to buy is the hooks).    Lures and bait is expensive and a pain to deal with.  About 20 years, I hooked and lost the largest walleye I ever saw, very close to that round house.    That is part of the reason why we went back to that spot on Sunday.   We considered trying to hook a cormorant as they swooped overhead last Sunday, so that we could enjoy the "aerial battle".  I did that by accident when I was a kid, down at the Disney Fort wilderness campground in Florida, with a Great Blue Heron.  

I don't understand why you would intentionally want to hook a bird, for your enjoyment. That's just not right. Even if it is a cormorant. What would "He" think about that kind of activity? I just don't get where you come from at times wolc.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grampy said:

I don't understand why you would intentionally want to hook a bird, for your enjoyment. That's just not right. Even if it is a cormorant. What would "He" think about that kind of activity? I just don't get where you come from at times wolc.

The main purpose was not for my enjoyment.  That would just be a nice side-benefit.  The goal would be to get rid of the bird that is eating the small fish that I would prefer to eat myself.  I stopped short of doing it, because I am not sure it would be legal, and I don't like to break the law, and He probably would not like that.  It is All about the meat for me, whether we are talking about fish or deer.  As a "catch and release guy" I know why you might not get that.   Some of us are born killers while others are born fighters (the catch and release folks). 

I did release that Heron relatively unharmed in Disney world, but I was unable to get my big purple plastic worm off of it's neck before it took off.   It was an interesting fight but it ended quick as the 30 pound test on my Garcia Ambassader 5500 with the drag tightened with a pliers brought it right down (I was set up for fishing for largemouth in the weeds).  I was just learning to cast at that time and that particular cast went a little too far, wrapping the bait around the Heron's neck.   Have you ever caught a bird ?  

Edited by wolc123

6 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Kill 'em all, Wolc… The Good Lord meant for YOU to have those fish, rather than those silly ass birds that he ALSO created...

Wait a minute....Is there a contradiction here ?....

The difference is, when a human eats a fish (or deer), that sends them directly to Heaven.  The Good Lord created fish and game for man to eat (vegetables are what "real" food eats).   He did not make them to be "senselessly maimed", which is what I consider "catch and release" fishing to be.  You would be better off playing a fishing video game than doing that.   

I am sure I will get jumped on for "catching and releasing" a couple dozen bass on that Sunday, but I was targeting walleye and/ or 20" plus bass (legal keepers).   One good thing I can say about the cormorants is that they do increase your odds of taking a 20" plus bass in the Buffalo area of lake Erie right now anyway.  I believe they will cause the fishery to suffer in the long term though, if they keep eating all the little ones.   

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Thanks....I'm glad you explained that to me...I feel much better now..I get so CONFUSED sometimes....<<sigh>>...

I am glad that I was able to put your mind at ease.  I do admit that I was very tempted to try and take down a cormorant or two last Sunday.  It probably would have been tough to bring one down with the 8 pound test and light action spinning rod that I was using.    I think that the NY state DEC should consider some measures for getting them under control.  They are also a big problem at my second favorite NY state fishery (the St Lawrence river).      

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am glad that I was able to put your mind at ease.  I do admit that I was very tempted to try and take down a cormorant or two last Sunday.  It probably would have been tough to bring one down with the 8 pound test and light action spinning rod that I was using.    I think that the NY state DEC should consider some measures for getting them under control.  They are also a big problem at my second favorite NY state fishery (the St Lawrence river).      

How do you cook them ?

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I don't know man, you could probably "play" the bird a little more with the lighter 8lb test line. Would give ya a little more time to enjoy the "catch".

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

How do you cook them ?

If they taste anything like the diver ducks then they would not be worth eating.   The Bible has a section which tells what type of animals, fish, and birds are best for eating.   I think the cormorant is listed as "unclean" and on the "do not eat" list.    In China they train them, put bands around their necks, and use them in place of a rod and reel.    Just like a coyote, I would only eat one at gunpoint.       

8 minutes ago, grampy said:

I don't know man, you could probably "play" the bird a little more with the lighter 8lb test line. Would give ya a little more time to enjoy the "catch".

It would be cool if they took out some drag up in the air.  I have only experienced that in very short bursts with steelhead.    

Edited by wolc123

34 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If they taste anything like the diver ducks then they would not be worth eating.   The Bible has a section which tells what type of animals, fish, and birds are best for eating.   I think the cormorant is listed as "unclean" and on the "do not eat" list.    In China they train them, put bands around their necks, and use them in place of a rod and reel.    Just like a coyote, I would only eat one at gunpoint.       

Well, as long as the bible says its ok . 

• Haha 1

The difference is, when a human eats a fish (or deer), that sends them directly to Heaven.  The Good Lord created fish and game for man to eat (vegetables are what "real" food eats).   He did not make them to be "senselessly maimed", which is what I consider "catch and release" fishing to be.  You would be better off playing a fishing video game than doing that.   
I am sure I will get jumped on for "catching and releasing" a couple dozen bass on that Sunday, but I was targeting walleye and/ or 20" plus bass (legal keepers).   One good thing I can say about the cormorants is that they do increase your odds of taking a 20" plus bass in the Buffalo area of lake Erie right now anyway.  I believe they will cause the fishery to suffer in the long term though, if they keep eating all the little ones.   

Dude you might be the dumbest person I have ever interacted with in my entire life. Now you are saying that when humans kill animals they go direct to animal heaven, but when other animals kill them they don’t. Show me where it says that in your crazy ass bible. You my friend are delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 6/9/2018 at 8:25 PM, wolc123 said:

The Bible has a section which tells what type of animals, fish, and birds are best for eating.   I think the cormorant is listed as "unclean" and on the "do not eat" list.      

Um, where in the Bible does it state this? I hope this is sarcasm, because I really don't want to read the Bible cover to cover again.

48 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Um, where in the Bible does it state this? I hope this is sarcasm, because I really don't want to read the Bible cover to cover again.

it's in the back between the field dressing guide and the recipe section....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

it's in the back between the field dressing guide and the recipe section....

Maybe that's why I missed it all those years ago. I didn't read past the the Bible Words Indexed. Now I have to look anyway. Thanks jjb. LOL.