Tug hill

flygonenuts

• 2 weeks later...

I have never hunted that specific area, but you will do well to get the topomaps for the area and learn the major topography, and never go into the woods without a compass and the knowledge to get yourself back to your road. Lotsa big woods up there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

and never go into the woods without a compass and the knowledge to get yourself back to your road. Lotsa big woods up there.

Good advice...I lost a couple of friends up there for about 4hrs once because they didn't take that advice and had no clue which way was out. If not for my gun shots and horn blowing from the road they would probably still be there.

Follow the east / west ridges, swamp borders and bottle necks, drive the area and look for neighboring open fields/ agriculture. Even if you find some corn/ etc. a mile or so away, it will affect you. There is no substitute for woods cruising: look for beech, black cherry, and lordy lordy, and oaks (rare up there probably). Wild apple trees can be a big draw: I prune and semi maintain a slew of them near me.