Childhood

Water Rat

Funny that someone started this thread today.  For the first time we are having a bring your kids to work day here in my office, so as part of the festivities they asked us employees to bring in a photo of ourselves as children.  The attached is what I submitted just yesterday.  I was just shy of my 5th birthday here in 1968.  My parents would probably be arrested these days for letting me play with such realistic looking guns! LOL. That holster and pistols surely beat any nerf guns kids play with these days.  I don't think too many even play with nerf guns anymore.  All they seem to do is stare at freakin' i-phones.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but If anyone else has any photos of themselves as children doing or playing with things kids normally don't do or play with these days, it would be great to see them!

SL.jpeg

• Like 8

Love it. I grew up in the plum bottom creek as a kid. Catching crayfish , minnow traps set for bass fishing. Oddly enough wife and I bought our house a few hundred yards away from that creek. While walking our dog we cross it a couple of times. Brings back great childhood memories every time. Brothers of many years older also played in that same creek. 

• Like 4

Used to spend most of the summer on chase lake in lewis county.  Our day was trout fish first thing in the morn. Breakfast with trout if we got em, then down to the lake to swim back up to the camp for dinner, then out to the woods to chase red squirrels with the bb gun and just before dark fish the lake for bass or walleye.  Never be inside all day for more than 15 minutes. Campfire at night and racoon's would come in and we would watch them or play cards at night no tv in sight.  It was so great.

• Like 2

Many of my summer days were spent down at the creek across the road where the beavers had built a huge dam that created a huge pond. I had an old level-wind reel on an old broken fishing pole, with nylon line, and a hex nut for a sinker, and a chunk of stick for a bobber. Not exactly high tech, but I still caught fish and had fun. The catch-of-the -day was usually creek-chubs or horned-daces. Not the best tasting fish, but I ate them anyway.

• Like 1

I grew up with the Kaderosseras creek as my back yard and spent much of my youth on it or it. Good times, so many memories are flashing back now. 

I remember having a sweet Crome played six shooter that one of my cousins dropped in a clogged toilet. Ruined the thought of owning a pistol the rest of my life. Basterds. 

• Like 1

I wish I still had my Fanner 50....It came with  a quality leather holster and gunbelt…….

I spent lots of time in local criks...A friend and I got pretty adept at fingering suckers in Tuscarora Creek...

THAT statement should be worth a wisecrack or two  !!...Hehehe....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve863 said:

Funny that someone started this thread today.  For the first time we are having a bring your kids to work day here in my office, so as part of the festivities they asked us employees to bring in a photo of ourselves as children.  The attached is what I submitted just yesterday.  I was just shy of my 5th birthday here in 1968.  My parents would probably be arrested these days for letting me play with such realistic looking guns! LOL. That holster and pistols surely beat any nerf guns kids play with these days.  I don't think too many even play with nerf guns anymore.  All they seem to do is stare at freakin' i-phones.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but If anyone else has any photos of themselves as children doing or playing with things kids normally don't do or play with these days, it would be great to see them!

SL.jpeg

My dad has a pic of me when I was in 4th grade, around Halloween time, sitting in my classroom. I was dressed as a soldier and was holding a toy Uzi that was very realistic. The whole school district would be on lock down and the SWAT team would have taken me out these days.

Sling shots and BB guns were the norm, my best friend and I both had yellow labs and spent many hours of the day behind thieles heating oil along bull creek. After we got a little older ,we would steal aerosol cans from our dad's and go back there and throw them on a bonfire .

D--struck -tow -wheel, it was a large heavy steel wheel of some sort, that we’d lug up a hill in the woods, and roll it down seeing what it would destroy in its path . Rinse and repete .....

the best was unorganized sports , we made the teams and the rules and if you stunk ,you knew it because your friends told you so.

Baseball, not enough for two teams , we figured it out, right field was out of bounds , an all time pitcher and the batting team supplied the catcher . Two infielders and two,outfielders and we were good to,go .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...