walk behind tiller

Just wondering if any of you ever tried to use a walk behind tiller to till smaller plots maybe up to one acre.  I know many of you have tractors, etc., but I would like to till a couple of small plots one of which is hard to get to with equipment.  Thinking a decent walk behind (one where the rear tiller rotates opposite the direction of travel) might do the trick albeit a slow job.  Plus, I can load one into my pickup and they cost around 500-800.  Plan would be to cut, spray, till and then seed.

Thinking something like this but necessarily this make or model.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-TF-224-208-cc-14-in-Rear-Tine-Tiller-CARB/1000343773?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-SosTillers-_-1000343773:Husqvarna&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000343773&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=a3f61737-f265-4c44-a855-360d74106aec&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInsH23tnO2wIVQdbACh369wLGEAQYASABEgJkCfD_BwE

Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

That should work fine for what you want to do moog. For most food plots, you wont need to go that deep. Perhaps four inches or less. Even if you just cut spray and rough up the surface, it will be enough. Good luck buddy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I have a heavy duty walk behind cub cadet tiller. I picked it up for like 600 at tractor supply. I haven't tilled food plots but it did a great job tilling my garden the first year I started it exspecially with all the sod took a few times of running it through to get it the way I wanted it. 

Is in unrealistic to plan an acre of tilling with one of these?

I use an older rear tine tiller with a good 5 hp tecumseh engine every year. It's belt drive which has one advantage, when it digs up a root it kind of clutch stops instead of lurching. I remember renting frankin-tiller from sunbelt, man. Anyhow if it's a newer plot area be prepared to stop once in a while, shut down & clear the tines. A lot of nonsense will get knotted up in them.
Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would be looking for a used or re-conditioned one. There's a lot of guys that buy up old tillers, lawn mowers, garden tractors, etc. and rebuild them and stick them out in their front yard with a for sale sign. There's some great deals out there. Tillers are a pretty tough implement that seem to never die.

• Like 1

I have one and I won't lie it does good in the garden but is a pain in the ass on anything that has a lot of roots like a plot that was recently cleared of brush. All the roots and stuff make it a pain. I am not saying it can't be done but no fun. You can borrow mine anytime but I am a ways from you I think. Pick up one of TF's stouts for me and deliver it and I will let you borrow the tiller for the rest of the year. I'm not using it just hanging out in the shed lol!!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

How much time and energy do you have? It really is more about your limits than the tiller's.

How long has it been since the ground was last tilled? Is there a lot of brush, stumps, rocks, etc.? Can you drive right to the site or will you be stuck carrying the sucker through the woods? One thing tillers are not is light. So many questions!

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I have one and I won't lie it does good in the garden but is a pain in the ass on anything that has a lot of roots like a plot that was recently cleared of brush. All the roots and stuff make it a pain. I am not saying it can't be done but no fun. You can borrow mine anytime but I am a ways from you I think. Pick up one of TF's stouts for me and deliver it and I will let you borrow the tiller for the rest of the year. I'm not using it just hanging out in the shed lol!!

Thanks Fletch!

32 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

It will be a very good workout, and take a little time. But it will work! You should be able to do an acre in a day no problem. If you have hard clay and rock it will be harder of course. But for places where getting in bigger equipment is not an option, this is something that will work fine. Much better, I think than throw and grow.  Just more sweat equity!!

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

How much time and energy do you have? It really is more about your limits than the tiller's.

How long has it been since the ground was last tilled? Is there a lot of brush, stumps, rocks, etc.? Can you drive right to the site or will you be stuck carrying the sucker through the woods? One thing tillers are not is light. So many questions!

One plot was tilled last year.  Other was tilled about 4 years ago.   Weeds are filling in but that's about it.  As far as time and energy - lets say the job doesn't scare me but I would prefer to be doing other things.  Can drive to one plot, other will require me walking the tiller about 300yds down a field edge and then crossing a creek.

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

It will be a very good workout, and take a little time. But it will work! You should be able to do an acre in a day no problem. If you have hard clay and rock it will be harder of course. But for places where getting in bigger equipment is not an option, this is something that will work fine. Much better, I think than throw and grow.  Just more sweat equity!!

That's my thought on the throw and grow.  A few days work is worth a better plot IMO.

• Like 1

My guess is u will wreck that machine. It's just not made for that kind of work. I wrecked a husky with what looks like the same gearbox setup as most of the newer models use. Problem is the axle bearings ride in a pressed housing and any rough use will ruin that housing and it's not long b4 it all falls apart. Still have a good motor and other parts but that tiller is just shot. Look for a used Troy built horse tiller. At least if u wreck it u can rebuild it easier and cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So I will be throwing a tilling party.  Everyone is invited and can take a turn at tilling.  I will provide refreshments.  Energy problem solved!

Now your thinking!! I am serious though if you want to borrow it. Your like 1.5 hours away though so if your this way anytime. Like I said it isn't getting used.

The fresh tilled one should be cake, the 4 year one depends on the roots of the bushes, just grass not a problem.

And I am busy that day! lol

Edited by Fletch

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Now your thinking!! I am serious though if you want to borrow it. Your like 1.5 hours away though so if your this way anytime. Like I said it isn't getting used.

The fresh tilled one should be cake, the 4 year one depends on the roots of the bushes, just grass not a problem.

And I am busy that day! lol

Thanks Fletch  I appreciate the offer.  Will let you know.  Or you can bring it to the party!

9 minutes ago, b3h said:

My guess is u will wreck that machine. It's just not made for that kind of work. I wrecked a husky with what looks like the same gearbox setup as most of the newer models use. Problem is the axle bearings ride in a pressed housing and any rough use will ruin that housing and it's not long b4 it all falls apart. Still have a good motor and other parts but that tiller is just shot. Look for a used Troy built horse tiller. At least if u wreck it u can rebuild it easier and cheaper.

Those aint cheap.  Used still looking at 600-800.

I had this same outlook with a walk behind weedeater. Figured a little hard work I wasn't afraid of.  So I bought a wheeled walk behind trimmer to cut some high grass that grows on our lease property.   Well it does work better than a regular trimmer for sure but also after a few hours and some real sweat and blisters on my hands I got done what a brush hog could've done in 20 minutes.  Lol. 

When I came back out to show my buddy what I cut , there was a HUGE area all cut. He said "you did this by hand???"

No way in hell lol..,. The landowner saw what I had cut and was out with his brush hog and cleared a ,300 yard swath for us.  Whew saved my hands and back!  Gotta love good equipment.  

• Like 2

Yep but it's a better machine. New price is ~ $3000. If u do find a used one make sure they didn't run ethanol fuel in it. Got one of those too with a bad motor thanks to the ethanol ruined the carb parts and was dumpin extra gas in plus it's an old tiller.
Take a look at those gear boxes at the housing and I think u will see what I'm sayin.