So who's getting out this weekend for opening of bass season

JALA RUT

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

that looks like perfect froggin water.  Love those top water hits!!  

I remember the first time I set us up in stuff like that she looked at me like I had 3 heads...I told her just trust me. After the first top water smash she was hooked...now that's been her favorite way to fish ever since.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JALA RUT said:

I remember the first time I set us up in stuff like that she looked at me like I had 3 heads...I told her just trust me. After the first top water smash she was hooked...now that's been her favorite way to fish ever since.

thats what got me hooked as a kid as well.  Out in a rowboat with my Dad just after dark and throwing a Jitterbug.  You hear that "whop,whop, whop" of the jitterbug working and then "Splash" and set the hook!  too dark to see the lure get hit but you could hear it!  

and the new weedless frogs make life a lot easier for fishing.  Looks like it should be a good day! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rob... said:

Didn't have them at Wallyworld. I will either have to hit Dicks or F&S ( but, that's a bad thing! ), or order them.

I plan on ordering some. Just won't be here on time for the weekend. I am not spending $50 for overnight shipping on fishing lures. LOL! 

They always have them at Wallyworld. Dont look for a brand or lure name of Senko, you dont need those. Look for stick baits or sinking minnows, same thing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Pretty sure senkos are rubber worms.

Yes, but they are a specific type of worm made by Yamamoto. Its a straight, thick, round 5" worm thats impregnated with salt. Other companies make similar lures, but cant call them Senkos because the name is copyrighted, so they call them stick baits, sinking minnows, etc.

Its rare that I actually throw a real Senko, in fact I dont even think I have any in my tackle bag. They are mostly Gander Mtn brand, Powerbait, and a few others. The Yamamoto Senkos are kinda pricey and you lose quite a few of them.

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yes, but they are a specific type of worm made by Yamamoto. Its a straight, thick, round 5" worm thats impregnated with salt. Other companies make similar lures, but cant call them Senkos because the name is copyrighted, so they call them stick baits, sinking minnows, etc.

Its rare that I actually throw a real Senko, in fact I dont even think I have any in my tackle bag. They are mostly Gander Mtn brand, Powerbait, and a few others. The Yamamoto Senkos are kinda pricey and you lose quite a few of them.

yeah they are so great but at Bass pro they are $8 a pack - wow.  The YUM brand is like $3.  Although they dont seem to have the salt and same texture - its close enough at that price.  

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yeah they are so great but at Bass pro they are $8 a pack - wow.  The YUM brand is like $3.  Although they dont seem to have the salt and same texture - its close enough at that price.  

I wont use them if they arent salted. Texture doesnt mean as much really. The salt content in them causes them to sink at the correct rate. I think BPS has a house brand that offers good ones. Honestly, Ive found the Gander Mtn ones to be the closest to the real thing. Thats the only thing I was bummed about when they closed their doors. I bought every bag of them that they had each time I went there when they were going out of business, so I have a stock pile right now.

My son and I would have been fishing Hemlock lake on Saturday but not this year. I had my rt. knee replaced on May 15th so I'm grounded for 12 to 16 weeks. What sucks about this is next year he will be living in somewhere in NC so this would have been last year of fishing opening day together.

32 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I always use the term stick baits for plugs like rapalas.  Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

19 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The BPS sticko-worms are pretty close, as are the Gander and some other versions. But if I'm using that type of bait in a tournament, The real Yamamoto Senko is what I'll be throwing. For salt content and the little wriggly action on the ends, nothing beats the real thing. Fishing for fun, I don't think it makes a 'big' difference if you use the imatitions, as they all will catch fish.

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

The BPS sticko-worms are pretty close, as are the Gander and some other versions. But if I'm using that type of bait in a tournament, The real Yamamoto Senko is what I'll be throwing. For salt content and the little wriggly action on the ends, nothing beats the real thing. Fishing for fun, I don't think it makes a 'big' difference if you use the imatitions, as they all will catch fish.

I always use the off brand ones, tournament or not. The best "off brand" ones are the ones my buddy makes at home. Ive actually been thinking of getting my own molds and making them as well. Its not hard, and its alot cheaper than buying them. You just have to get the salt content right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I wont use them if they arent salted. Texture doesnt mean as much really. The salt content in them causes them to sink at the correct rate. I think BPS has a house brand that offers good ones. Honestly, Ive found the Gander Mtn ones to be the closest to the real thing. Thats the only thing I was bummed about when they closed their doors. I bought every bag of them that they had each time I went there when they were going out of business, so I have a stock pile right now.

I did the same at Walmart.  Bought all they had in a couple of colors i liked.  Now I can't seem to ever find them there. I also like the 4" better.   But a good day on the lake and can go thru a couple packs of them.  And damn pickerel ruin them everytime.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I did the same at Walmart.  Bought all they had in a couple of colors i liked.  Now I can't seem to ever find them there. I also like the 4" better.   But a good day on the lake and can go thru a couple packs of them.  And damn pickerel ruin them everytime.  

Im going to try using the o rings one of these days. Supposedly they make them last longer because of no hook penetration to the worm.

37 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Gulp is pretty darn good. Minnie’s the bass love.  I’ve never tried senkos   Drop shot and lightly jig. 

Both work great but different tactics.  Senkos are good for skipping under docks and trees and into the junk.  They work better in shallower and weedy situations.  The drop shot on smallies off breaks and/or deep water or weed edges is a winner too.  Can use both in either or but can't skip the drop shot or bounce them on wood or under docks , where the drop shot works better when you need to get the lure deeper or working some open water. Although rigging them wacky style works pretty good that way too. Both are winners.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

They always have them at Wallyworld. Dont look for a brand or lure name of Senko, you dont need those. Look for stick baits or sinking minnows, same thing.

When I first started getting into bass fishing, I was watching Hank Parker and Bill Dance shows. I bought all the lures they mentioned. One day while at K-Mart to get some new gear, I thought to myself, "Whats the real difference from these $6 buzz baits vs those $2 ones?". I bought a few of the cheapies, didn't really notice a difference ( neither did the fish ). When the bass were hitting, they were hitting, and I caught just as many on the cheapies as the ones mentioned in those fishing shows.

My best day bass fishing from shore I was using Bear Paws in silver with a Fat Head on the hook, casting and reeling in. Those Bear Paws were bought that day at a hardware store in Schoharie, and I had never used them before. I never made a cast I didn't land a fish. I have never had a day like that again, but the memory is burned into my brain. It doesn't cost a lot to catch fish. Presentating counts.

With that said, I love my top water shock baits. Buzz baits are my favorite. NO guess work with top water baits, frogs, floating minnows, top water jerk baits, w/e you like. My favorite type of lure for large and small mouth bass. 

Edited by Rob...
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 4:49 PM, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

A buddy and I will be fishing lake champlain  sunday. We will be concentrating on what ever hits our bait. Hoping for some big northern's and hope to get on some bass.

Where on Champlain?  I'm headed up there around noon today to stay at my buddies camp for the weekend.  Its on the south bay end of the lake.  This will be my 3rd weekend up there in the month and a half, so far each time we go we've been doing quite well on the pike and bass.  Caught a few good sized cats as well.  If ya see a 17ft bass tracker with 3 guys doing more beer drinking than fishing thats probably us! haha!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Where on Champlain?  I'm headed up there around noon today to stay at my buddies camp for the weekend.  Its on the south bay end of the lake.  This will be my 3rd weekend up there in the month and a half, so far each time we go we've been doing quite well on the pike and bass.  Caught a few good sized cats as well.  If ya see a 17ft bass tracker with 3 guys doing more beer drinking than fishing thats probably us! haha!

Well be just north of Plattsburgh. We launch out of point au roche. Gonna try to get on the bass and pike. Think there having a big tournament this weekend. LCI father's day fishing derby. Good luck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rob... said:

When I first started getting into bass fishing, I was watching Hank Parker and Bill Dance shows. I bought all the lures they mentioned. One day while at K-Mart to get some new gear, I thought to myself, "Whats the real difference from these $6 buzz baits vs those $2 ones?". I bought a few of the cheapies, didn't really notice a difference ( neither did the fish ). When the bass were hitting, they were hitting, and I caught just as many on the cheapies as the ones mentioned in those fishing shows.

My best day bass fishing from shore I was using Bear Paws in silver with a Fat Head on the hook, casting and reeling in. Those Bear Paws were bought that day at a hardware store in Schoharie, and I had never used them before. I never made a cast I didn't land a fish. I have never had a day like that again, but the memory is burned into my brain. It doesn't cost a lot to catch fish. Presentating counts.

With that said, I love my top water shock baits. Buzz baits are my favorite. NO guess work with top water baits, frogs, floating minnows, top water jerk baits, w/e you like. My favorite type of lure for large and small mouth bass. 

I used to use Pork-o trailers on all of my spinner and buzz baits because Bill Dance used them. They worked very well, wish I could still find them in the stores. I also have a set of Flying Lures, youd be shocked how well they work. Caught my biggest bass in a tournament a few years ago on one. Sluggos are another bait I still use that many guys dont. I picked them up because of some fishing show when I was young. Those things are just plain awesome.

I also use alot of cheapo baits that catch fish as well as the name brand counterparts do.

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I used to use Pork-o trailers on all of my spinner and buzz baits because Bill Dance used them. They worked very well, wish I could still find them in the stores. I also have a set of Flying Lures, youd be shocked how well they work. Caught my biggest bass in a tournament a few years ago on one. Sluggos are another bait I still use that many guys dont. I picked them up because of some fishing show when I was young. Those things are just plain awesome.

I also use alot of cheapo baits that catch fish as well as the name brand counterparts do.

i once caught a pickerel on a bottle opener.   it had a hole in it so I put a split ring and treble hook on it and tossed it out!   Caught more on that than some lures i own.  lol 

• Like 3