Loooong range shooting help.

Also, if you really want to get into the thick of Long Range shooting, go check out Curt Drewel at Long Gun Training: Long Gun Training.

Former USMC Scout Sniper.  He teaches courses to civilians and LEO's.  His courses cost a bit, but they are well worth it considering the instruction you are getting.   I've taken 2 of his courses.  They are on par with military-type courses, better in some regards, and the man himself is very approachable and always willing to share his knowledge with newcomers.  

When you gotta think , temperature, curvature of world , humidity, sea level and elevation etc you know you’re taking a poke.  Used to shoot pretty long distances in the winter with our .22s. It was a 587 yard par 5 at a local golf course. Mind you we never hit anything at that distance but it sure was fun trying. Not sure the few cci cb shorts we attempted too even got that far   Looking forward to following this thread. Intriguing for sure. 

I'm not sure you're ever going to hit with any consistency at 1000 yards using any factory ammo. But if it's fun, give it a go. Why not. After hitting woodchucks at about 500 yards with rifles I got into long-range pistols and have connected at close to 300 yards on several occasions. Saves on walking, and the skills are basically the same.

I don't mean to lecture here, but when you get out to 1000 yards it's about skill in the field and skill at the reloading bench. If there isn't a combination of both, you're not likely to hit very often. Ring the gong, baby!

• Like 1

Just to clear things up. Ill give a little background. I was in the marines from 03-09, i was platoon high shooter in boot camp, i was consitently one of the best shots in my company. I was a designated marksman in iraq for my platoon in 2005. I trained with our company gunny, who prior to coming to us was a sniper. Ive shot the 5.56 out to 625 yards. I dont currently handload, but i will. My rifle likes the hornady black 123eld-m. Ive shot a best group of .56 moa at 300 yards with the ammo. I completely understand that 1000 yards is a whole new game for me. I trust my abilities to shoot at distance and i have faith in the rifle and round. So with that being said i appreciate all the feed back and am anxious to learn from anyone i can. 

Edited by Gencountyzeek
  • Like 2

Hell if a 12 year old can do it so can you!

In all seriousness I’ve always found long range shooting and military snipers absolutely fascinating. At that point it’s no longer point and shoot. So much knowledge and understanding is needed its mind blowing to me.

I’d love to come out and watch you hit a target at 1000 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it sounds like you don't actually know the velocity you're at. that's going to effect your drop a lot at 1000 yards. also it'd be nice to know how consistent your batch of ammo is for velocity. math is right but doesn't matter if your drop is off by guessing velocity. borrow a chrono or shoot out further on a big target to figure out drop. i use scrapped large format 24"x36" or 36"x48" construction drawings from work on a plywood backboard.  record everything for weather when you shoot. those ballistic programs work but they're only as good as the info that's put in. try to pick a calm day. if the wind pushes your bullet pretty hard it's path is a bit longer that might push you into added windage.  once you've got elevation figured out to an extent turn the board sideways because wind will screw you more than elevation ever will. that's my input but i wasn't a sniper or anything in the military and i don't shoot F-class or benchrest competition. so i'm not considered an expert.

9 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

A friend has a chrono, when i get back from vacation ill be borrowing it. And then to the 700 yard range, then if i got things figured out there ill see if i csn get to the field to try 1000. Not sure if its planted or not, that could be a problem.

Good deal zeek.