Loooong range shooting help.

Ok, i recived my new burris veracity

3-15x50. Zeroed at 200 yards. Set the turret to 0. I have 96 clicks of elevation left. O I should say its sitting in a warne mount with 20moa built in. Im putting a table together that takes me out to 1000 yards. The scope is 1/4 moa per click. If i did my math right im looking at 12 clicks up at 300 yards 9 in of drop, 26 clicks up at 400 26 in of drop, 43 clicks at 500 53in of drop, 60 at 600 90in of drop, 80 at 700 139in of drop, 101 at 800 203in of drop, 127 at 900 285in of drop and 155 at 1000 388in of drop... for the experts out there, am i pretty much maxed out at 750 yards with this setup? As far as clicks go...i can always use the reticle for more elevation. I was hoping to not have to do that. So to recap... if 1/4moa click @1000 yards= roughly 2.5", then 388÷2.5= 155 clicks up of elevation... is this right?

20180613_135351.jpg

Too technical for me....I used to have a paper taped to the stock of my .280 that read  100  + 4""...200 +4"....300 -4"....400 -12".....

That was with a 140 grain bullet @ 3000 fps  and a Leupold fixed 4X scope....  As technical as I ever got...

BTW...Those figures were obtained by shooting groups at those ranges, not from a ballistics table...

Good luck...That long range stuff sounds like fun …...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Too technical for me....I used to have a paper taped to the stock of my .280 that read  100  + 4""...200 +4"....300 -4"....400 -12".....

That was with a 140 grain bullet @ 3000 fps  and a Leupold fixed 4X scope....  As technical as I ever got...

BTW...Those figures were obtained by shooting groups at those ranges, not from a ballistics table...

Good luck...That long range stuff sounds like fun …...

I give this post a "thanks" because it'll be the most common sense post in the thread.  :)   (REAL world)

• Like 1

From limited real experience, but just shooting as a guest at Forbes and Williamsport;

If your drop numbers are good, I think the math seems right.

But you should be able to confirm that if you have a set up range to 600 yds.

Those guys got pretty serious with weather for the day when shooting at 1000. That and being super anal about loads. 

You need a official qualification for joining those clubs; but some guys have started a new facility closer to me and its got me interested at stretching a few rifles out to maybe 6.

They're trying right now to get approval for 1 mile.18" @1mi= about 1 moa and thats a poke to be consistent at that range with average equipment.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I dont think anoyone is using "average" equipment at a mile lol. 

I had this in a file but can't find it right now.....

But there was a Union soldier who killed a Confederate officer with a 50 cal muzzleloader at near a mile in the Civil War. 

Sent a surveyor to confirm distance too.

My internet sucks today but should find in a search.

I had this in a file but can't find it right now.....
But there was a Union soldier who killed a Confederate officer with a 50 cal muzzleloader at near a mile in the Civil War. 
Sent a surveyor to confirm distance too.
My internet sucks today but should find in a search.
Please post this if you find it

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, TACC said:

Please post this if you find it

There's just a mention here of just a sentence, but I had a PDF of the full story the was on line. I'll find it, it was originally on a shooting forum that no longer exists.

https://www.tactical-life.com/lifestyle/tactics/basics-of-the-one-mile-shot/

6.5 grendel shooting 123gr eld-m hornady factory ammo at just under 2600fps.
What length barrel, twist rate, manufacturer of upper or barrel and are you shooting AR, or Bolt action?

I'm shooting an AR 20 inch barrel, bear creek upper

From my reading thats what i should expect from a 20" barrel. But ive been doin more reading on my scope. I thought i should have more adjustment for elevation and it turns i do. However when using the zero stop i prevents u from turning the dial more than 1 full evolution. Which is pretty stupid. So im goin to half to count my clicks.

21 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Ok, i recived my new burris veracity

3-15x50. Zeroed at 200 yards. Set the turret to 0. I have 96 clicks of elevation left. O I should say its sitting in a warne mount with 20moa built in. Im putting a table together that takes me out to 1000 yards. The scope is 1/4 moa per click. If i did my math right im looking at 12 clicks up at 300 yards 9 in of drop, 26 clicks up at 400 26 in of drop, 43 clicks at 500 53in of drop, 60 at 600 90in of drop, 80 at 700 139in of drop, 101 at 800 203in of drop, 127 at 900 285in of drop and 155 at 1000 388in of drop... for the experts out there, am i pretty much maxed out at 750 yards with this setup? As far as clicks go...i can always use the reticle for more elevation. I was hoping to not have to do that. So to recap... if 1/4moa click @1000 yards= roughly 2.5", then 388÷2.5= 155 clicks up of elevation... is this right?

20180613_135351.jpg

Nice-looking rifle.

I have no idea if your math is right as it depends on the load, barrel twist and even preferences of a particular rifle.

You can estimate the elevation adjustment needed to get yourself on target at various ranges (which you seemed to have done).  Find the exact load you want to shoot, read the manufacturers' estimated DOPE (data off previous engagement) and/or use a ballistic program to get an estimation of the adjustment needed for various ranges.

From experience I've gained, you will actually need to do some shooting at those ranges in order to actually validate and confirm that DOPE.  In many cases, the actual turret adjustment needed to hit a target at a given range will vary somewhat form the manufacturer's recommendations.  Load, elevation, temperature, wind, elevation, twist rate, and the rifle's own quirks (to name a few variables) will all have some influence on a bullet's ballistics.  The best thing you can do is get out to a range and do some shooting...

Edited by Padre86
  • Like 1