What to plant?

11 hours ago, slyfox91 said:

Hey guys looking for some input on what plot seed would grow decent in a semi sandy semi shady spot in upstate ny?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Alfalfa,birdsfoot trefoil if you want a perennial, brassicas( turnips ,sugar beets,ect...) 

Edited by G-Man

Semi-Shady, makes me want to say Whitetail institute no plow. 4-6 hours of sun a day required. It's also a good soil builder as it has lots of clover, if it's a new plot. I put in a 1/2 acre plot last year where it was all berry brush previously. Worked so well replanted it the same last weekend. Lime and fertilizer of course. Here it is yesterday, coming up well nicely. I will toss a little turnip and radish overseed around Aug 1st right before a rain to stretch out the usefulness. Last year we had deer on it right into snow. 

IMG_20180617_144413047.jpg

• Like 2

I know oats are easy and many have success but I had no luck with oats unless all other food had been mowed down. The soil received more use then from deer. Winter wheat was far superior for me and just as easy to grow. Oats where from WTI pure attraction which is the only product from them I have used but wouldn't recommend. Every area is different as many on this forum will attest to.

21 hours ago, corydd7 said:

I know oats are easy and many have success but I had no luck with oats unless all other food had been mowed down. The soil received more use then from deer. Winter wheat was far superior for me and just as easy to grow. Oats where from WTI pure attraction which is the only product from them I have used but wouldn't recommend. Every area is different as many on this forum will attest to.

I plant the oat radish mixture end of July. Deer come in hard on the oats when the grain starts to fill. I use to use three plantings, a few acres of oats  mid August to early September. They didn't much bother with them through bow season. Then frost-freeze would come and make them totally useless. I tossed things around a little till I found a planting that worked. The radish, this is one planting that will always be on my place, thanks to growalot.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 2

There is a mix that grows very well that I will be planting again this fall in a somewhat shady spot im turning into a soft mast orchard in the woods.. Its called "Inner Sanctum" by Grandpa Rays outdoors.

It is:   

40% Spring Triticale
15% Balansa Fixation Clover
10% Alsike Clover
10% Frosty Berseem Clover
10% Forage Kale
10% Medium Red Clover
  5% Ladino Clover

Turn it into a perennial plot by frost seeding your favorite clovers into it in March next spring. Good quality seed, and works well for shady and less than ideal spots.