US Open is humbling

turkeyfeathers

About time they set up a course to humiliate these golfers. Too many advancements in technology(and work ethic, strength training, sport psychologists) have changed the game. It is by not means easy, but it is certainly a different game then some of the legendary course were set up to be up against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was watching a little at lunch on the computer. Course looked like it was really drying out and the wind was blowing pretty good. I've been to two US Opens. Bethpage in 2009 and Merion in 2013. TV does not do these courses or the players justice. It is amazing to be there and see the players up close. 

• Like 1

From what I understand it's a tough course to begin with. Throw in 25-30 MPH winds and it rattles even the best. It's an even playing field though. They all play in mostly the same conditions. I think FS1 is live-streaming it for free, so I might have to watch a bit, even though I haven't played since Reagan was President. ;-]

41 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

turning stone has a little 9 hole course here that you never use your driver for.  Its damn humbling just to play that one.  The main course Adunyote is like  $250 a round.  Never played it but have seen it and its just beautiful , cant imagine some of these like the masters.  

I played Aduynote and even with a forecaddy, it was a tough round.  Probably as tough as Oak Hill East with long rough right after the Ryder Cup.  Now I just avoid that and frustrate myself at home with the recurve.   Doesn't cost a thing. 

And for the record, I like seeing these guys truly challenged.  They can handle it and the cream will rise.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3

It's fun to see the top guys challenged. A NASCAR race that starts in daylight in the afternoon and ends at night with a cool track and artificial lighting. A football game where the lines on the field aren't visible because of snow. A baseball game where the team manicurist is kept out of the dugout...

I just had to include the baseball reference. Sorry. Representative Steve Scalise will be at second base tonight for the yearly Congressional baseball game at Nationals Field, one year to the day after almost dying in the shooting at their practice. He still walks with a crutch, but vows that he can throw to first base if he doesn't have to move laterally to pick up the ball. The guys got heart.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Tiger starts out with a triple and a bogey. LOL. Couldn't happen to a nicer smuck!. Go DJ!!!

DJ was obvious choice at the start. Hits it so darn far and can flight his irons down in that wind.  It’s essentially his to lose imo.   Greens should be firmer n faster today. 

Welcome to real NY golf. As someone who played Bethpage Black a few times, it’s nice to see pros struggle. But Eldrick Woods needs less TV time. He’s ranked 80th in the world and will finish around there again in this tourney. Show the guys who can actually win!

13 hours ago, First-light said:

Horrible first round but I did manage to catch the afternoon charter out of Montauk and caught some big Bass!!

Didn't lose ground today. John daly showed up after the ninth tee and had me doing vodka shots. Hope tomorrow to get the MoJo going and make a few BRRRRRDIIIIIIEEEEEES

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

Don't see any dimples on them. How do they fly Jay, and is there a huge difference using these? Are they tournament legal?  Been a few years since I've hit the links.

First ball on the market with a matte finish. There’s dimples but tough to see with the finish.  Sell a lot of them  Designed for the average to below player. Yes , usga and r and a conforming.  

• Like 2

The new rage in golf balls. My how they’ll show up in the bottom of a pond for the average slasher e6d339ed1179455bdc5ae55c0f3d4fc6.heic&key=37635987c5c2653fad1d43958fdf3ec406af9b28b0b577b4fed36eeaa4f50eed

Do you get a free round still if you putt it in the clown’s mouth on the 18th hole?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Actually saw a pair of 66’s go up early. 

Early conditions easier. Just turned it on about 6 o'clock and DJ has dropped 5 shots (-4 to +1) but is still in lead. Looks like everyone in contention in dropping