US Open is humbling

turkeyfeathers

17 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Phil should be DQd what a disgrace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw a replay of that fiasco. What the heck was he thinking, hitting a moving ball? Even a hack like me knows better than that.

• Like 1

Whole thing was unsportsmanlike but for such and instance there is so called penalty. Scenario: Had Phil gone ape $hit and swung his putter into the ground laying the sod over and a big gouge in the green , no penalty. DB move but no penalty incurred    Gentlemen’s game , cmon Phil 

May I play devils advocate:
Most sports have opportunities for players/teams to incur penalties for doing something wrong. Some teams choose to “ cut their loses”

Football - take a safety on third and forever when up by 3 or more with little time left.
Baseball- intentional walk when 2nd and 3rd with one out and the 4 batter up
Golf- too many to list because it has so many ridiculous rules that most (including competitive players who play quite frequently) don’t know.
Hockey/soccer/basketball—-intentional slash/tackle(is that what it’s called in sucker—um soccer)/hard foul on a breakaway.
NASCAR- no idea as I don’t like to watch people drive in circles and I don’t know anything about cars.

Golf is supposedly a gentleman’s game where golfers are above other athletes—-read ELITISTS. However, golf is now no different than any other cut throat, big money, win at all cost, sports.

Phil took his medicine within the RULES of the game.

May I play devils advocate:
Most sports have opportunities for players/teams to incur penalties for doing something wrong. Some teams choose to “ cut their loses”

Football - take a safety on third and forever when up by 3 or more with little time left.
Baseball- intentional walk when 2nd and 3rd with one out and the 4 batter up
Golf- too many to list because it has so many ridiculous rules that most (including competitive players who play quite frequently) don’t know.
Hockey/soccer/basketball—-intentional slash/tackle(is that what it’s called in sucker—um soccer)/hard foul on a breakaway.
NASCAR- no idea as I don’t like to watch people drive in circles and I don’t know anything about cars.

Golf is supposedly a gentleman’s game where golfers are above other athletes—-read ELITISTS. However, golf is now no different than any other cut throat, big money, win at all cost, sports.

Phil took his medicine within the RULES of the game.

Not intended that way. Phil blew it then. He should have stopped it right next to hole for tap in then. Instead he missed another putt anyway.

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Guys lighting up the course today

Friend (who just came in shop) has a friend working there watering the 7th fairway   Was texting him yesterday and said they're dumping water hard on the greens too 

• Like 1

Not intended that way. Phil blew it then. He should have stopped it right next to hole for tap in then. Instead he missed another putt anyway.

He’s way too fat and slow to catch up to that putt. That was as fast as he could move, unless there’s a Big Mac involved.

• Like 1

Wouldn't mind seeing all PGA tour courses set up at 7500 yds. narrow fairways, thick rough and 4 under par is the winner. Make 'em work for their money. Kind of boring watching players shooting 20 under most weeks. Of course, equipment and overall fitness of the players are making real low scores possible, plus some courses are just too short and benign to challenge these guys. Nicklaus has mentioned more than once that guys today cannot adjust their games to the course they are playing week to week, because they know nothing but bombing the ball 330-350 and just take their chances.

Now the Shinnecock course was perfect, lengthwise and the rough was ROUGH. If players hit into the tall stuff, you lose a shot, and that is fine with me, but in fairness to the guys that hit fairways, allow them a chance to stick an approach to green and not let balls just run off into never-never land.

Rather watch the LPGA now. 

• Like 1

Some of you may know I manage a large golf retail store. Last night a customer is looking at travel bags. I ask where ya headed. “ Long Island “ he says. I jokingly say Shinnecock ? He says he has know idea   I say you do realize The US open ended yesterday there.  He was entirely clueless of that. Says he’s playing a diabetes benefit outing at some super exclusive country club. Then admits he barely even plays golf. What a waste ! He should probably fill that travel bag with golf balls as he’s going to need them. Truly hope it’s a scramble or he’s setting up the pace of play for a 10 hour round. 

• Like 2