One or the other

nybuckboy

I would have to give up bow. I can make gun hunting into almost the same challenge as bow hunting, in that I could choose to keep my ranges very short. I cannot take a deer at longer ranges with a bow though. Bow hunting is more about the challenge for me, gun hunting is mostly about the comradely with my hunting buddys and putting meat in the freezer.

• Like 4

It would be a hard choice but I think I would give up the gun . I enjoy Bow Hunting too much and by the time Gun Season opens , it's cold weather . I can't shoot my bow bundled up with clothes to keep warm so I guess I would limit my hunting to Bow Season . It has a lot to to with old age with my choice . 

the OP doesn't specify if this is for big game season only, so without that, I'd say I'd give up the bow.

Too much other hunting like grouse, turkey, squirrel, pheasant, predators, etc where a gun would be the predominant choice. Sure you could still use a bow, but I'll stick with gun and switch to a camera for deer bow season.

• Like 1

I would give up the bow. As much as I enjoy hunting for the bigger bucks in bow season, I enjoy the company of gun season, getting new hunters out, helping old hunters get another buck, getting the kids involved and killing deer. Some move on to bow hunting, but most don't. I just like the idea of sharing success and helping hunters out plain and simple.

• Like 1

I would have to give up the gun, I really love the challenge of a bow.  Would be real hard in the ADK but most deer I have shot where less than 60 yards with many in the 30 yard to a few feet range so bow would work ok IF I can get to full draw without being noticed.  Love my guns but it almost feels like cheating sometimes. 

8 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

the OP doesn't specify if this is for big game season only, so without that, I'd say I'd give up the bow.

Too much other hunting like grouse, turkey, squirrel, pheasant, predators, etc where a gun would be the predominant choice. Sure you could still use a bow, but I'll stick with gun and switch to a camera for deer bow season.

I agree with this!

I was out with my bow this past Spring turkey season more then a few times. I enjoyed it, but, I learned, you will bust your ass trying to kill a bird with a bow.

So, for me, I would give up the bow. 

14 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

So - if you both, bow hunt and gun hunt  -   and   -   you had to make a choice... would you give up the bow or the gun   and   why?

No contest.... I would give up the gun. In fact I made a vow last year not to gun hunt more than a couple of days at most and if I fill my bow tags probably will not hunt with the gun at all. No comparison to the two and I get no satisfaction shooting one with a gun.