Coxsakie Reservoir Questions

DirtTime

I have been looking around at places to fish for bass in my area, and came across this place. $10 a year permit, I am OK with that.

But.......

How the hell do you access it? We took a ride over yesterday, located the reservoir,  drove around for 45 minutes, but found no place to access it.

I went back over today and still can't find a way to get in. It's surrounded by private land, and not even a trail to make the hike back in.

Anyone know how to gain access? 

• Fishing Permits:
  • Fishing permits are available for those who wish to fish in the Village of Coxsackie reservoir on Route 54 in Medway. Permits run along with the dates on your valid fishing license. Village of Coxsackie residents and anyone 65 years of age or older are free. A cost of $ 10 will be charged to all non-residents. It is necessary for you to bring a current fishing license along when applying for the permit. There are only two rules to keep in mind.
  • 1. No boats are allowed in the reservoir
    2. Do not discard trash in the reservoir or surrounding area.
Village of Coxsackie, NY
Greene County

§ 113-1 Prohibited activities.

No person shall litter, fish, swim, wade, hunt, camp or boat in or around any reservoir owned by the Village of Coxsackie

Never been to Coxsackie Reservoir. But the Basic Reservoir isn't too far from you. And has some real good bass fishing, with easy access. Both sides of the road have some lunkers! Will need a permit there too. From Albany.

Edited by grampy

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I can’t answer your question, but I may have snuck in there a few times at night and launch a row boat from a friends back yard and absolutely hammered the large mouth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well thanks for the reply. LOL!

5 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That was probably 15 yrs ago and I don’t have the access I had but if I didn’t have 3 boats and a hundred other hobbies I would figure out what I had to to fish it again it was that good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear it's great fishing. I just need to figure out how to get there without trespassing.

55 minutes ago, Steve D said:
  • Fishing Permits:
  • Fishing permits are available for those who wish to fish in the Village of Coxsackie reservoir on Route 54 in Medway. Permits run along with the dates on your valid fishing license. Village of Coxsackie residents and anyone 65 years of age or older are free. A cost of $ 10 will be charged to all non-residents. It is necessary for you to bring a current fishing license along when applying for the permit. There are only two rules to keep in mind.
  • 1. No boats are allowed in the reservoir
    2. Do not discard trash in the reservoir or surrounding area.
Village of Coxsackie, NY
Greene County

§ 113-1 Prohibited activities.

No person shall litter, fish, swim, wade, hunt, camp or boat in or around any reservoir owned by the Village of Coxsackie

The last sentence says "No Fishing"..............??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yeah, I read that one too. 

§ 113-1Prohibited activities.

No person shall litter, fish, swim, wade, hunt, camp or boat in or around any reservoir owned by the Village of Coxsackie.

This is why I am asking people in the area with knowledge of the area. 

A good resource is to look at interactive tax maps by county when looking for property owners.^_^

http://gis.greenegovernment.com/giswebmap/

You can click on each property and see who owns it and the address where tax bill is sent.

Unfortunate looking for this water it seems to be all private land owners and I'd guess one has an exclusive agreement for municipality to use a right of way when needed, looks like they use that 2 track coming from south. 

Edit:

^^^Sorry, thought you were talking about the one in Climax.....

The one in Medway has municiple owned frontage on Jennings and 54.

(Some years ago I built a timberframe house in that area and fished some private ponds)

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

I am just looking to locate some more fishing areas. Lawsons Lake is a no go, agea issues still, from what I have been told they actually drained it, cleaned it, and the problem persists, they don't even recommend letting your pets in or to drink the water. The Alcove Reservoir out this way has a strict NO FISHING POLICY ( almost found that out the hard way! someone from this site told me the fishing was great, I don't remember who, but that could have been an expensive joke to play on someone! ). The Hudson is a joke IMO.

Just looking for places to go for black bass and pan fish I can actually bring home to eat.

Never fished the Coxsackie Reservoir , might want to hit Greene Lake down near Leeds .... parking area , access ,  but no motors allowed ... row boat or canoe / john boat .  Good deep fishing and I believe the only one in Greene County you can take Trout year round ! Great Ice Fishing too !

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, Lawdwaz said:

That is right from the town of Coxsackie 's web site. I guess I would be talking to the town clerk for clarification since they are asking for $10.00 for a "fishing" permit.

Yeah, this is turning into the nightmare I had trying to find out if a rifle was legal in Featherstonhaugh .

They talk you in circles, send you all over the place, talk to this one, talk to that one. I have lost the perseverance on this one.

I have a spot about 20 minutes away, fresh water, and I can eat the catch.

I want to thank everyone for the replies.

• 3 years later...

It’s an old post but I do have an answer for you. I just went there today. Take Rt 81 from Coxsackie after about 3 miles a sharp turn right to Rt 52 then about .6 miles access is on your right. Big sign near the road and som3 parking. You can walk the whole back fill of the lake. Not sure about the great fishing you can only cast from shore and it’s a very rocky bottom. I got a few sunny and a tiny 7 in bass. Not sure I will fish it again.