how often is the buck you shoot one you have on trailcam?

Robhuntandfish

need to get some hunting thoughts going here!  So how often does that happen that the buck you took is one you have on trailcam?  I would say the last 5 years for me has been about 50/50.  Now this first pic is kind of a cheat as I had him on trailcam 2 minutes before I shot him.  Lol   So I had the before and after, all in a 10 minute span!  

But i have far more pics of bucks I never see of course, and passed the 3nd buck pic at 10 yards last year trying to hold out for a big one - last pic. 

All these pics are from the same spot - they love this tree!  Def hard scrape/lick tree every year.  (we even named the stand next to it - scrapetree) 

But it is neat to get a deer you also had on cam  - it makes you almost feel like you knew what you were doing?!  lol sure. 

Six point 2016.JPG

Stota 6.jpg

a stota buck.JPG

Dark Knight rises.JPG

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Last 3 bucks is shot around home I had on cam and were the biggest bucks I had on cam that year. Never shot one in the ADKS that I had on cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah that big woods up there would think they prob travel farther for food sources etc.  Plus so much hunting area.  

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

The last wall-mounter I killed I got a pic of him about 5 min before I shot him.  More than half of the bigger bucks we have had pics.  

And you even have a pic of the one I "didn't" shoot!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

The last wall-mounter I killed I got a pic of him about 5 min before I shot him.  More than half of the bigger bucks we have had pics.  

hoping for a wall mounter one day.   Have yet to get one big enough for that.  Been real close a few times.  Maybe this is the year..... been chasing the one in the last pic for two years now.  

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

hoping for a wall mounter one day.   Have yet to get one big enough for that.  Been real close a few times.  Maybe this is the year..... been chasing the one in the last pic for two years now.  

Good luck Rob.  Deer density makes a big difference.  I didn't get one last year but have high expectations every year (except this year due to my darn trial schedule smack dab in the rut).

• Thanks 1

Idk, no too many , but some I guess , I don’t hang many cams. Here’s a coupe bow kills, I don’t save many trail cam pics, but I had these .0C46C6AE-6C80-4EE9-BA3C-4AD2C0DD2EF7.jpeg

AA4AEF76-468F-4773-8911-05B1545A1A0A.png

3268D701-CF3F-4CF4-8D88-F3CE9EC71173.jpeg

6FD0064D-522A-46DC-9F7A-F2508F27DFB4.jpeg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 5

Hard to tell since most of my BB photos/vids are in the summer when the racks are still growing, somewhat. Does seem to be an annual cuzin period of some strange bucks around the Halloween time frame. Most of the time it's actually hard to confirm if one I'd shot was same one caught on cam. Not really something I'm thinking about during the "moment of truth", sort of an after thought or curiosity thing. Have to say a large majority of bucks I've harvested, I'd not gotten on cams that same year.

• Like 1

The last 2 years I've killed deer that I've seen on trail cam. Most of the time I kill a deer that just showed up never seen it on camera. Also I don't make hit list or name the deer the closest I come to naming a deer is 8pt, 10pt, 6pt, ect.

• Like 2

I've got trailcam pics of just about every buck that someone else shot on our property. Out of all the bucks taken on our place, I've only shot one that I've had a pic of.

Bad luck? I don't know, I'll take the buck and skip the pics, lol.

My 2015 buck is in the pics below. Took him opening morning of rifle. On the afternoon sit that day, I pulled a couple of cards on the way out and found the pic of him from the day before. First time I had seen this buck on camera or in person. Ironically, I was going to sit in that same stand the previous day to close out the crossbow season, but I picked another stand. The trailcam pic is 20 yds from the stand I didn't sit in. Was grateful to get a second chance before the craziness of rifle season started.

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I've got trailcam pics of just about every buck that someone else shot on our property. Out of all the bucks taken on our place, I've only shot one that I've had a pic of.

Bad luck? I don't know, I'll take the buck and skip the pics, lol.

My 2015 buck is in the pics below. Took him opening morning of rifle. On the afternoon sit that day, I pulled a couple of cards on the way out and found the pic of him from the day before. First time I had seen this buck on camera or in person. Ironically, I was going to sit in that same stand the previous day to close out the crossbow season, but I picked another stand. The trailcam pic is 20 yds from the stand I didn't sit in. Was grateful to get a second chance before the craziness of rifle season started.

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

Even crazier is a year later I discovered that same morning I shot him, my county flew over to take updated pics for the GIS system. In the pic, I am tending to the deer and taking pics with my John Deere next to it. Hard to see, but I know what's there.

5b2d3c49ecfb9_GISdeer.thumb.jpg.e3488eee9a6a5e27f050ea61d132ed58.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Wow you even have air surveillance!  impressive .  lol 

I have to admit, when I came across that photo on the county website, I was feeling kind of put-off with the fact that I was in fact being "surveiled". I guess you really are on camera everywhere you go. Even my back 40!

15 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I have to admit, when I came across that photo on the county website, I was feeling kind of put-off with the fact that I was in fact being "surveiled". I guess you really are on camera everywhere you go. Even my back 40!

I know for a fact that DEC has the ability to view real time satellite photos of coastal Long Island. I'm sure with that technology, they can view land all over NYS. 

awesome thread, awesome pics, this is really cool to see. The first buck I ever killed was on camera the night before, and the morning of the same day that I killed him. I was unemployed.. haha so I had a lot of time to hunt, and my buddy wanted me to go check his trail cam in this spot, and told me if I did so, I could hunt that tree stand that night. So I checked it, and found this four pointer on cam, so it was a windy evening, and I didn't want to go out  because it was so windy but I decided to give it a shot, went out at about 3 pm put out some tink's number 69, and the deer was dead before 4pm.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...