I Always Liked This Picture.......

Lawdwaz

I killed this buck a few years ago in East Aurora with the ML'r.  I made a good shot on him and he just dropped right there..........can you see the bullet hole?  I always thought the picture looked good, the blood on the stock wasn't staged. :)

yaElha6.jpg

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I killed this buck a few years ago in East Aurora with the ML'r.  I made a good shot on him and he just dropped right there..........can you see the bullet hole?  I always thought the picture looked good, the blood on the stock wasn't staged. :)

yaElha6.jpg

I agree, I am not a fan of cleaning up the deer/ area and presenting the deer for pictures. I much prefer the natural way it happened , blood and all. And by the way thats a nice buck..

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

I agree, I am not a fan of cleaning up the deer/ area and presenting the deer for pictures. I much prefer the natural way it happened , blood and all. And by the way thats a nice buck..

He was a sleek beautiful buck, dressed out around 140# if I remember correctly. 

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So what does the bolt do - change the primer or are the primer and powder part of one unit.  Sorry for the questions, curious and not familiar with how smokeless work.

The is pulled back like any other bolt action, the primer is placed in the back of the breech plug then the bolt is closed.  If I recall correctly the action is the same that he (Melvin Forbes) uses on his rimfire guns. 

After firing, the bolt pulls the primer out of the breech plug, like .22 but it doesn’t send it “flying”, I have to flick it out with my finger.  

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Oh yea, the powder is poured loose into the barrel then the bullet/sabot combo is rammed down.  All from the muzzle of the gun. 

Gotcha - so the bolt is in place of dropping the barrel.  Probably quicker.  What powder do you use?

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Gotcha - so the bolt is in place of dropping the barrel.  Probably quicker.  What powder do you use?

SR 4759 I think.....

Parker Ballistic Extreme 275gr bullets.

Edited by Lawdwaz

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Several factory and custom muzzleloaders both blackpowder and smokeless based on bolt actions. Remington 700 is very popular (I have both 209 or #11 ignition for my  factory M700 blackpowder)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Here's a couple pictures of the breech plug.....

boots098.jpg

boots096.jpg

And he's a shot of my "possibles" bag that holds primers, bullets and powder.  Not much to lug around....

LarryEBay.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz

Great pics and deer . That’s a nice system , when I had my MK 85, getting an11 cap on the nipple in that little space with warm fingers was hard ,with cold ones next to impossible , in a timely manor .

All the little tools were just as had to,use as well .

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

So, is the blood on the stock from the deer or did the scope nail you  ?? ...Hehehe....

Ahhhhhhh, I don't think that'd be my blood.  I think I've only done that once that I can recall.  My Remington 700KS 280 bit me GOOD one time in Pennsylvania while screwing around.......... :)

21 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Great pics and deer . That’s a nice system , when I had my MK 85, getting an11 cap on the nipple in that little space with warm fingers was hard ,with cold ones next to impossible , in a timely manor .

All the little tools were just as had to,use as well .

The primer tool I use (seen in picture) was the ONLY one I could get to work all the time, every time.  Like your gun, mine is a PIA with warm fingers.  Cold it was impossible. :)

I believe it is a Traditions 209 model.

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Same gun & shooter, different deer. BTW, this is the oldest confirmed (as best as the DEC biologist could do) buck I ever killed, 5.5 years old. 

Similar pose, same DRT picture style.

buck09010.jpg

DRT is a great thing. I shot one a few years ago at approximately 20 yards tops. Thought I missed, was like sob , started to stuff another in glancing over wondering how I missed. Dang thing was dead on his feet and fell over.Dressed him out , poured a cup of coffee from thermos and 15 minutes later piled up a fat doe at 120 yards. She ran all of 20 feet. Full moon and most deer I’ve seen  Not that caliber deer mind you   Nice pics Larry   Love my smoke pole as primary gun. Now I’ve got the urge for deer season again. Gotta get shooting my bow ! 

• Like 3