Has Your Scope Ever Made You Bleed?

This was brought up in another thread, so I thought I'd ask the question. Have you ever been "scoped"? Did it draw blood? A trickle or a gusher? What gun were you using? Target shooting or a hunt?

I've been "nicked" a couple times target shooting. But got it good once, with my Ithaca Deererslayer-2 in 12g. Was hunting the bottom of a ridge, when a big doe stood up above me, and started to go over the top, at 75 yards. She got there and stopped, giving me plenty of time to line her up in the scope. Shot was freehand, as there was only tall weeds around me, nothing to rest on. So shooting at a good uphill angle, at the shot, I see a bright white light! Look to see the doe rolling downhill and blood on the back of my right hand. Swiped at my eyebrow and my hand came away covered!  Went and recovered the doe, that was DRT. and I think I bled more than she did, during field dressing! Should have gone for some stitches, but my partners wife is a nurse. She applied a few steri strips and sent me on my way.

I'm guessing the combination of shooting uphill, with a relaxed grip, led to this?

Never been scoped with a rifle yet!  But it could happen I suppose. 

Yep - 20g tracking a doe that we almost stepped on before it decided to bolt.  Didn't get it shouldered before I pulled the trigger and I got a nice bite.  Finally got home after finishing the doe and cleaning it and my wife thought I was nuts when I said I was fine.  Ended up with some stitches and a nice permanent reminder.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I get the bruised cheekbone from my thumb when I shoot

My 300WSM smacks the middle finger on my trigger hand with the trigger guard and it hurts like all get out.  I shoot 165gr bullets as they kick less than the bruising 180gr pills.

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We had a comedian at our office Christmas party and he did a tight ten minutes on the bandage across my nose. I didnt think we should have paid him

That's OK, I started a trial about a week later looking like Frankenstein.  Might have got me some sympathy by the jury.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yes...I have two little crescent scars on my eye brow from it. I had a herd of 40+ deer come across a hillside down in southwestern PA and the excitement got the best of me.  Still to this day one of the craziest things I've ever witnessed in the woods.

• Like 1

Four times.....Once when shooting a friend's  16 gauge rem M11 off the bench with slugs.  Another time when shooting another friends 50 cal ML off the bench..That time I swore off shooting other people's guns from the bench...

I  crawled atop of a big round bale one time to shoot a woodchuck about 200 yards away with my M 70 .280...Killed the varmint but also went home with blood running down over my face...

The last time was shooting at a doe at a steep uphill angle with my 7MM08...Missed the deer, but I was leaving a blood trail as I left the woods..

I have built up a fair amount of scar tissue between my eyes...  Fortunately I have never been bit my any of my really hard kickers, my magnum 12 gauges, my .338 Win mag or my 9.3 X 62...I probably bled the most from the  mildest kicker, my 7MM08...Go figure...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You just SOOOOOO jinxed yourself it ain't even funny.

Better try and get this thread out of your head Dave....... :)

Oh yeah......thought about that after rereading.   Now I'll develop a flinch, thinking about it!    :blackeye:

• Like 2

Did it with my muzzleloader a few years ago , got the euro mount in my garage. Just a lite trickle of blood ,nothing too extreme. A 6 pointer came in front of me quickly while on the ground and i guess i didn't have the gun shouldered all the way .

I have never been scoped but have a similar story. I broke up a flock of turkeys while hunting one fall a few years back. After sitting next to a tree for 30 minutes, I began calling them to return to the area. I had a lone hen sneak back and she was staring at me through the tall grass from 30 yards away. Because she was over my rear right side and I am right handed, I picked up my Browning humpback with my right hand and looked down the barrel holding the gun with one hand as you would shoot a pistol.  I sent a wad of 3" #4 copper plate pellets on its way. 

I woke up a few minutes later looking up into the clear blue sky. The gun must have jumped out of my hand and the stock butt hit me in the chin. Felt like i went a round with Mike Tyson. Ahhh the memories. Worst part was that I missed the bird.

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, catskillkid said:

I have never been scoped but have a similar story. I broke up a flock of turkeys while hunting one fall a few years back. After sitting next to a tree for 30 minutes, I began calling them to return to the area. I had a lone hen sneak back and she was staring at me through the tall grass from 30 yards away. Because she was over my rear right side and I am right handed, I picked up my Browning humpback with my right hand and looked down the barrel holding the gun with one hand as you would shoot a pistol.  I sent a wad of 3" #4 copper plate pellets on its way. 

I woke up a few minutes later looking up into the clear blue sky. The gun must have jumped out of my hand and the stock butt hit me in the chin. Felt like i went a round with Mike Tyson. Ahhh the memories.

Did you kill the turkey ?

• Like 1

The reason I asked this was because one of my hunting buddies  had basically the same thing happen  with a spring gobbler, and actually held the butt of his Mossy 9300 against his chin  and killed the gobbler... he neither went unconscious nor broke his jaw...I am not saying that he is the BRIGHTEST bulb in the pack, however...Hehehe..

At least you did not intentionally hold the butt on your jaw...

Also, the Mossy 930  is a gas gun and definitely a lighter kicker than the old Browning A5.. I LOVE those old humpbacks, and my first 12 ga 3" mag was  an A5  , but with the old long recoil action they kick like hell, much worse than any gas gun...

Had it happen once about 20 years ago with a Rem 870 shooting slugs. Had a shot where I tried to twist around the tree I was standing next to while lining up on an incoming doe. Took the scope right between the eyes, just above the nose. Stunned for a few short seconds, and then realized what had happened as I watched an alarming amount of my blood dripping into the snow. I was kind of numb from the cold, so feeling around my face with my fingers, I was trying to determine if my face was laid open as bad as I expected. I started walking back to the truck, using handfuls of snow to press against what I was sure was half my face split open. I walked about a half mile to the truck, and when I got there I looked at my face for the first time in the sideview mirror - WTF, I barely had an inch long cut, which had pretty much stopped bleeding by then.

No, I didn't hit the doe, and yes, I got my chops busted for at least a day for giving up the afternoon primetime for my boo-boo!