MIG and TIG Pipe Welder wanted in Rochester, NY

I wish my nephew had some sort of motivation in life. He’s 16 has no idea what he wants to do yet has no intention on getting a summer job. He will spend all summer home doing nothing.

Family has talked about getting into a trade even mentioned welding. So far it’s gone nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’ve heard it gets super seedy. Too many young uneducated guys with money to burn and not enough girls leads to a lot of fights.

Most of them are not "uneducated", Biz, they just have educations that didn't involve overpriced colleges and universities. They have learned skills and they're highly motivated. I'm absolutely certain that it can get seedy at times, but any construction site is like that at times. One of the best roofers I ever had was a young gal who was smart and sexy. Some of the guys gave her a hard time until I fired a couple of them for stepping over the line with her. When the boss doesn't tolerate it it stops.

• Like 1

Most of them are not "uneducated", Biz, they just have educations that didn't involve overpriced colleges and universities. They have learned skills and they're highly motivated. I'm absolutely certain that it can get seedy at times, but any construction site is like that at times. One of the best roofers I ever had was a young gal who was smart and sexy. Some of the guys gave her a hard time until I fired a couple of them for stepping over the line with her. When the boss doesn't tolerate it it stops.

Maybe my intel is skewed. But when I was in Minnesota hunting several years back. They were telling me how every jo Schmo in MN was heading to ND to work. Maybe mine work? It all related to the oil boom. They told me about stabbings and lots of other crazy stories where all these young guys were going crazy

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Maybe my intel is skewed. But when I was in Minnesota hunting several years back. They were telling me how every jo Schmo in MN was heading to ND to work. Maybe mine work? It all related to the oil boom. They told me about stabbings and lots of other crazy stories where all these young guys were going crazy

Do you mean in the bars or in the streets  ?

In bars  fights  common all over the place really when young people get drunk . 

Edited by Hawk914

18 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I have no reason to doubt any of that. My friend's son has been there for a little over two years, sending back a couple thousand dollars a week. I think he's 25 years old now. He sees the stuff going on and just doesn't participate. He's there for the cash. A lot of people are there out of desperation. The desperate ones get into trouble whether it's ND or Manhattan.

• Like 2

I looked at gas well work a while back . They were throwing money around like it was  confetti  at new years . Guaranteed  120k a year  starting before overtime .Truck, tools and gas cc. Out of town work they paid big food and room steipen  . 

2 weeks on call 24 -7. One week off. Was very tempting. The guy that was trying to get me  on board would have been my direct boss. They had me  as a team leader of sorts. 

Little over a year later  the whole outfit got sold and everybody  was layed off.  The guy that would have been my boss had to uproot  his family and moved to Arkansas to stay working. He fell asleep  at the wheel on his way home from work and was killed.

The OP job is a good wage for southern tier area at $30/hr . I doubt it's that good for Rochester.

Do you mean in the bars or in the streets  ?
In bars  fights  common all over the place really when young people get drunk . 

Everywhere. Too much testerone all in small towns that aren’t made for so many people

• Like 1

I wish my nephew had some sort of motivation in life. He’s 16 has no idea what he wants to do yet has no intention on getting a summer job. He will spend all summer home doing nothing.

Family has talked about getting into a trade even mentioned welding. So far it’s gone nowhere.

My nephew puttered around until he was 25, now he’s in year three of his plumbers apprenticeship and doing great. He will have a nice career. Of course he fathered a child that’s a kick in the ass he needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Moho81 said:

https://labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/apprenticeshiparchive.shtm

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

They all buy a brand new truck and put a lift kit on it all while living in extended stay roach motels .

• Like 3

Watch or read some of Mike Rowe's pieces. The dirty jobs guy. The insight is amazing. His bottom-line message is that there is dignity in every bit of work done in the country, and even throughout the world. There is no job without dignity. The crustless triangle sandwich and white wine spritzer crowd may look down at you, but when they need their septic tank pumped out they'll write you a check.

• Like 4

If I could go back in time I'd learn a trade, probably carpentry. I love my current job but it took me a long time to get to this point

Same if I knew HGTV and Instagram was gonna blow up all this home stuff

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Same if I knew HGTV and Instagram was gonna blow up all this home stuff

For every guy you see on tv doing high end carpentry ,there is tens of thousands of rough framing carpenters, still a very small platform for high end work, and an even smaller amount of people willing to pay for top notch work. A lot of the business is done by fly by night guys with a substance abuse problem willing to work for peanuts. 

For every guy you see on tv doing high end carpentry ,there is tens of thousands of rough framing carpenters, still a very small platform for high end work, and an even smaller amount of people willing to pay for top notch work. A lot of the business is done by fly by night guys with a substance abuse problem willing to work for peanuts. 

True, but that’s where the market is. Tons of people are willing to pay for good work and deal with someone reputable who can speak and conduct themself in a professional manner, but it’s so hard to find good work these days. I could be that guy!

13 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Get him into a skilled trade. Where I work, they pay 100% to send you to school for skilled trade and guarantee you top position when you finish your apprenticeship. College is not needed to make a good earning. MY 13yr old son by marriage just started working with a surveyor and he loves it.. 

• Like 1

Get him into a skilled trade. Where I work, they pay 100% to send you to school for skilled trade and guarantee you top position when you finish your apprenticeship. College is not needed to make a good earning. MY 13yr old son by marriage just started working with a surveyor and he loves it.. 

Honestly I think that’s the entire family’s hope.

I wish there was more of a push 20 years ago for a skilled trade versus college. It took me forever out of college to start making a good living and I have student loans to pay off.

Honestly I think that’s the entire family’s hope.

I wish there was more of a push 20 years ago for a skilled trade versus college. It took me forever out of college to start making a good living and I have student loans to pay off.

How is it possible that “EVERY” kid is now college ready/eligible/best suited? Certainly in Westchester Co, kids feels like college is a must and not an option. Schools have done a bad job at steering kids to a future that SUITS THEM, not just college so the district can boast that 99% of their graduates go to college.
I had a cousin who knew he was not college ready-signed up for the Marines before graduates HS and left like his HS classmates - did his 4 years and now grew up enough to realize what he wants to do. 4 years ago he would have wasted college tuition.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, crappyice said:

How is it possible that “EVERY” kid is now college ready/eligible/best suited? Certainly in Westchester Co, kids feels like college is a must and not an option. Schools have done a bad job at steering kids to a future that SUITS THEM, not just college so the district can boast that 99% of their graduates go to college.
I had a cousin who knew he was not college ready-signed up for the Marines before graduates HS and left like his HS classmates - did his 4 years and now grew up enough to realize what he wants to do. 4 years ago he would have wasted college tuition.

They took out all the wood shop and auto shop classes from the high school near me .Everyone  has to go to college I guess and work behind a desk .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

If you learn a Trade you'll never starve ... I heard that while growing up !

Until you get old(er) and your body fails. That's where I am now. A little consulting work gets me by, along with writing political commentary, but I regret beating my body up so badly when I was young. We didn't have rooftop delivery or roofing nailguns when I was in the business. It was just hard work. And trying to catch hay bales when I was ten years old on the wagon at my grandparent's farm didn't help at all.

3 hours ago, Hawk914 said:

They took out all the wood shop and auto shop classes from the high school near me .Everyone  has to go to college I guess and work behind a desk .

There is companies and unions who still sponsor apprenticeships,  it's run by the state .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawk914 said:

They've taken all references to skilled trade out of today's schools. I don't think they even have home-ec anymore. "Make young people stupid" is the goal, and they're achieving it.