Pin bones in trout

turkeyfeathers

Only keep a few fish a year. Stocker Browns  10-16” or so. Last time I filleted cutting behind just behind gills to tail. Then smoked thinking the pin bones would be easier to remove. Flexing fillets and bones would stick up. We’ll sort of. Despise getting a nice bite of fish to encounter a bone. As do I a nice bite of wild turkey and crunch a #5 pellet. All suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance 

Yup they are a PITA, harder to get out then Y bones on Northerns.  Dunno a real trick to get them out casue they are so small.  Short of pulling them with pliers.  When the trout aren't filleted can split them down the back after being cooked and most of them will stay on skeleton.  But for smoking I would take them out when cleaning.  

I cook with the skin on ,most often then not ,you can peel the skin off exposing the bones and with a fork ,carefully lift them all out ,sort of like a zipper.

I clean the fish and then cut the head and tail off and cook that way.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 4

Take a bowl turn bowl upside down, lay trout fillets on bows so the follow curve of the bowl, this will force bones to stick out ever so slightly form the flesh, use your wife’s eyebrow tweezers to pull said bones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I cook with the skin on ,most often then not ,you can peel the skin off exposing the bones and with a fork ,carefully lift them all out ,sort of like a zipper.

I clean the fish and then cut the head and tail off and cook that way.
That's all I do with trout as well. I like the skin, and when cooked on a grill or camp fire over coals the skin crisps up and takes on great flavor.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Only keep a few fish a year. Stocker Browns  10-16” or so. Last time I filleted cutting behind just behind gills to tail. Then smoked thinking the pin bones would be easier to remove. Flexing fillets and bones would stick up. We’ll sort of. Despise getting a nice bite of fish to encounter a bone. As do I a nice bite of wild turkey and crunch a #5 pellet. All suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance 

If you filet it right you wont get any bones.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I never filet that size trout. Gutted and heads off and grilled or in the broiler. When done a fork at the lateral line will allow the meat above it and below it to be gently pushed off. Grab to tail and the entire remaining skeleton will pull up. You end up with bones that looks like an old cartoon would show it.

• Like 3

I never filet that size trout. Gutted and heads off and grilled or in the broiler. When done a fork at the lateral line will allow the meat above it and below it to be gently pushed off. Grab to tail and the entire remaining skeleton will pull up. You end up with bones that looks like an old cartoon would show it.

I do the same, get the meat off one side with a fork and then lift the skeleton out, the pin bones stay attached. I de-bone bigger fish using a method from YouTube and that does make a nice big piece of fish to broil or fry
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Going to give this a whirl in a few hours. Thanks 

E773B07B-9D6F-4F00-AC6D-A1DB22678A0D.jpeg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

only one flip!!!  lol. I like a little pat of butter and a lemon wedge in the gut cavity when I do that. They look freaking awesome. 

Just before the flip I added lemon wedge and pat of butter. Almost forgot about that. Lightly salted and peppered cavity 

75ED3E20-16D4-4650-B671-2B55B87C76BE.jpeg

• Like 3