Let’s talk coolers

turkeyfeathers

Ok the key to any cooler is to,pre cool it. The night before put ice in it, the next day toss what’s left and pack,it as full as possible, and put in cooled down food and drinks .

Use ice from your freezer, not from an “ ice cooler “at a store . That ice is wet ice at about 30 degrees , my freezer is at minus ten , so that gives me ice about 40 degrees colder to start with . 

My Orca is big and heavy  but ice lasts 5 or 6 days out on my patio in the sun .

the last thing you want to do is take a cooler from a hot garage and put store bought ice in it , then open it a lot . Also dont drain the Water .

You can also buy a cheaper cooler, and drill some holes and spray expanding foam in it ,buy the low expanding spray foam . This will,greatly improve any cheap cooler .

Cheers ! 

I got this Orca for $200 delivered to my door , I’ll have cold beer the rest of my life .

its kinda funny , guys here will drop a grand on a bow that they’ll use for a few years then upgrade , but $200 for a cooler that’ll out live them is nuts .....

ACD0B783-5E09-44B7-97BC-1EB8E35CC33D.png

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

Got the same Coleman the marine cooler .  Works great.  Would never pay $350 for a cooler.  Hell you can stop somewhere to eat 10 times instead of taking food with you for that price.  And how often do you have stuff in a cooler for a week and not get ice...... Save money buy a cheaper cooler and be able to fill it with steaks instead of hotdogs! Lol.  

rps20180620_181757.jpg

I bought the same one a couple of weeks ago at Runnings on sale for $49.99...   I am shocked at how cold it kept everything and how long the ice lasted...   Plus, I filled it up and could still handle it by myself...

Going to look out for another sale and buy another...

Lastly, the hinges are metal and replaceable if needed..   Big plus in my mind

• Like 1

I like the Coleman with the wheels. I think it's called the "wheelie cool" or something. Easily transported, and fun to show up to a party with. The only way I'd ever spend a ton of money on a cooler is if I was headed way into the outback knowing that it might take a week or so to get the game or fish home. Even then dry ice is generally required and that stuff will keep things cold for a long time.

About a year ago Field & Stream did a field test on all of the super coolers and found the one sold by Cabela's to be the Best of the Test.  Still a lot of money, but worth it if you want it to keep ice solid for 5 or 6 days.  Most often this is only a concern for folks who need to pack game meat for a trip home.  They do have better construction and will probably last for years, unlike the cheaper models that wind up as storage containers after a couple of years.

Here it is.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2016/03/ice-chest-throwdown-12-top-end-coolers-ranked-and-reviewed

The IGLOO Sportsman also ranked well for the money as best value.

Edited by Rattler

yetis, cabelas and pelican all suck .The only thing you can put in them IS ice. Big time media ploy like gorilla glue its the name . I told this before I was watching a fishing show and it was nothing but a 30 min yeti ad . They had the name yeti all over the guy and of course the cooler with the yeti promently  displayed and the guy at lest 50x mentioned yeti, oh man there goes another fish in the yeti , oh man I love this yeti, wow look how the ice is holding up in the yeti, I don't mind commercials but its getting out of hand. Believe me they would change yankees stadium  to Bloomberg field or met life  park or some thing[ oh sorry that's already taken sorry] if they could.