Let’s talk coolers

turkeyfeathers

Looking to buy a cooler for day trips , long weekends , beach type of thing.  Always wanted a Yeti but after looking at them , the price , the weight , lack of space unless you have multiple people to carry it I’ll abstain. Orca , Pelican all up there in price too.  Walmart has Lifetime 55 quart for 97$ with good reviews. Thinking I may get one. Thoughts ? 

Coleman Extreme............70qt Model.  

I bought it last fall for stuffing an entire quartered deer in. I couldn’t close the lid on any of my three other 50qt coolers......

This Model has stainless, NOT plastic hinges. It’ll hold an entire deer and the best part is it even holds our large casserole dishes and huge salad bowl (used on Father’s Day) as my others won’t work for that.  No DAMNED way a Yeti will do THAT!!

They are very reasonably priced too. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Got the same Coleman the marine cooler .  Works great.  Would never pay $350 for a cooler.  Hell you can stop somewhere to eat 10 times instead of taking food with you for that price.  And how often do you have stuff in a cooler for a week and not get ice...... Save money buy a cheaper cooler and be able to fill it with steaks instead of hotdogs! Lol.  

rps20180620_181757.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

A friend of mine has a "Icemule" cooler from Orvis. Loves the portability and effectiveness in keeping the cold in and the hot out. Foldable, can wear as a backpack, freeing up your hands. Nice item , but will not carry more than 8-10 beers. I still will get one...Kinda "cool"...

For picnics, day trips, etc it is tough to be the classic Coleman 54 qt steel belt, I used one for many years and just replaced  the old beat up one which still performed well with a new model last summer. They work great, they look great and are priced reasonable along with a variety of colors.

Al

61FEzLhqYZL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 3

My son just gave me the Lifetime 55 quart cooler for a Father's Day present. It looks to be very well made and heavily insulated. It should work very well. When Yeti dropped sponsoring the NRA Foundation as part of the anti gun hysteria they lost the 2 of us as customers along with Dick's.         Valoroutdoors.com 

Edited by CharlieNY
Add
  • Like 1

I don't remember the brands of coolers we have currently right now. They aren't top of the line I know that.
From many years of tent camping from over night, weekends, and week or longer trips I have learned a few things. The biggest is this, even for a weekend, have two coolers. One for food and use block ice, you're not opening and closing this cooler often. Have a second cooler for beverages, water, beer, soda, w/e, you be opening and closing this cooler often, so this is the ice melter.
Just my $.02.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We received an Ozark as a gift last spring. Haven't used it for much more than backyard BBQs and parties. I can say that it has kept beer cold until at least Wednesday after a Saturday party but it is not keeping ice that long, just cold water and no ice is probably a factor of the cooler being repeatedly opened over the course of days. For average use, I personally would not spend the money on the "premium"  coolers. The classic Coleman or Coleman Extremes are probably good enough.

• Like 1

Probably bigger than you want but I needed a big cooler in a hurry last weekend.  Grabbed the igloo quick marine cooler at Walmart for $90 without shopping around.  150 gallon and it held ice reasonably well for 2 days.  Melted by third day but we were opening the big top often. 

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Probably bigger than you want but I needed a big cooler in a hurry last weekend.  Grabbed the igloo quick marine cooler at Walmart for $90 without shopping around.  150 gallon and it held ice reasonably well for 2 days.  Melted by third day but we were opening the big top often. 

150 quart, NOT gallon.......... :)

I bought a ozark trail, I had it down to ozark and the life time. I was pretty set on the lifetime until I watched a average joe YouTube comparison/ review on the ozark vs lifetime and found out the lifetime will leak water from the lid. So not a air tight seal. 

Tons of YouTube reviews of all the coolers ..

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Wasn't that just an old program that expired and had nothing to do with their stance of the NRA 

That’s what yeti wants you to believe, read the comment the nra had about it .

Stay at home Nomad    5813

• Elite NY Hunter
  •  
  • Stay at home Nomad
  • Members
  • 4951 posts
  • LocationNot near you

Update from NRA.

YETI severed ties with the NRA and is now engaging in damage control after a backlash from many of its customers. In early March, YETI refused to place a previously negotiated order from NRA-ILA, citing ‘recent events’ as the reason – a clear reference to the tragedy in Parkland, Florida. YETI then delivered notice to the NRA Foundation that it was terminating a 7-year agreement and demanded that the NRA remove the YETI name and logo from all NRA digital assets, as well as refrain from using any YETI trademarks in future print material,” Marion Hammer said.

“YETI is trying to spin the story otherwise, those are the facts. While Yeti can change their story, but they can’t change the facts. Whether their changing story is due to the recent cancellation of the IPO from their New York City owners is a question only they can answer.”

• Like 1

I have a Coleman Extreme from WalMart, works well for a weekend type use keeping milk cartons of ice pretty much whole.  And beer cold!    I’ve used it on week long fishing trips and it will keep things cold for 4 or 5 days if you pack it well and don’t open the lid a lot.    I think I have a Coleman Marine somewhere and that was a good cooler too, but too large for my use most of the time.

My buddy has a Yeti and it does work great, but it takes 2 guys to move it when it is full.  

I am a cheap person by nature. This last Saturday I had a Coleman in my trunk, in the direct sunlight, with my drinks and 1 bag of ice. It was in the 80's, and I dumped ice out when i got home at 10:00 that night. I know it didn't cost 100 bucks, but I can't remember exactly what the price was.