Buffalo car insurance

Nomad

So our youngest , just bought a 2,016 Civic, she had a 2,002 Civic . The insurance co. , whom I’ve delt with for 40 years ,gave me a quote of roughly the same amount ( had full coverage still,on 02 ) , this is a family run Nationwide and I’m on the 3rd generation there now, they’ve  always been good to,me .

Well when they learned that she now lives in Buffalo not Webster , her rate went up over $700 , they said it’s all by zip code and Buffalo, she’s right in the city is pricey . Online research shows Nationwide to be way over everyone else’s prices in Buffalo .

So my questions are , who do,you Buffalo folks use ? Any local office you recommend , and what about ones like Geico ? They come in cheap, do they cancel over anything ? She has no points and I don’t believe she ever made a claim , oh one minor fender bender they paid out like a grand or so .

Thanks

I switch company's every 6 or 7 years ...Right now we are with Geico...I live in Westchester and they blew everyone out of the water ...I found them very easy to deal with..A lady hit my sons 2016 truck and they were at my house that day..,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

I look at the chart with a furrowed brow.......I just don’t think insurance companies make it that black and white.  

Interesting thread for sure.......

believe it they live by this charts and  statistic data and they throw it in your face . my son has is own insurance  and I still pay more cause he lives in my house, my daughter  moved away years ago but still gets mail from the city[shes a school teacher] I went through hell proving that she doesn't live here anymore.  T hat chart they use for nyc too, manhattan  and Brooklyn the most then queens then staten island the lest.cause statistically more chance of an accident is more and statistically your car is more likely to get stolen there. They are a business and the representatives and brokers work for them to get the most from us. Sorry for being long winded but with my home owners policy I seen it too 2 YRS BEFORE sandy they allstate dropped me after 25 yrs cause they said I live too close to the ocean [ im 3 miles from the ocean and a mile from the bay] . I

• Like 1

Insurance companies wouldnt cover anyone under 25 if they didn't have to.  Number one cause of death for people under 25 is motor vehicle accidents.   Add in living in a denser population with higher crime rates, pedestrians , traffic etc.  Rates will go up fpr sure.  It's all about stats.  Right down to where your vehicle is stored, how many miles to work, age breakdown of the local residents etc...

I go thru a local producer instead of a national company and I make them rebid it out every 2 years.  And I also get a couple of more quotes.  Have twice found cheaper ins and told them and they always come back with an offer to beat it by $5.   

If you have anyone at your residence that is licensed under 25 you pay higher ins as well cause they assume they drive your vehicle's.  

The large national brands charge the most.  This is part of how they fund all of those catchy marketing ads.  Your best bet is to work with an independent P&C agent who can shop around to any of the carriers for you.   

Edited by Jdubs

Called a fellow FF,  who is a licensed broker, he’s going to run her through 14 companies .

I know when our oldest moved to Brooklyn, if she brought her car, the insurance would go up 400 %.

rates by areas.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/how-cities-new-york-ranked-based-car-insurance-costs

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1