Vacationing at Bar Harbor Maine photos

rob-c

Wife and I stopped at bar harbor a few years ago on a New England cruise and we loved  it. We decided we wanted to come back to really spend some time here . And by the way if you ever come up this way definitely stop  at Kittery trading post. 3 floors of awesomeness . first few photos are at Kittery . 

AC6B91B1-4CC4-4230-925C-1BD24D737B13.jpeg

33D2CC8A-2A6D-4711-A6B3-D301AB535000.jpeg

A201C919-66E6-4436-9734-E6C0336A3BD8.jpeg

026DFF5F-B74F-4567-801C-56B846B635B4.jpeg

B296A3DE-1312-41EA-8E65-E5E089C77C82.jpeg

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Thunderhole!

I went up about 10 yrs ago, very nice.  Thanks for sharing photos.  

Is the Quarterdeck restaurant still there on the corner by the water? Delicious. 

Yep the chief is at the thunder hole,  not very thunderous when we stopped.

Yes sir it is.. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Yep the chief is at the thunder hole,  not very thunderous when we stopped.

Yes sir it is.. 

It was not active during my visit either actually.

Yum, I had kind crab legs one night there,  and the following night had chicken cordon bleu,  delicious!

Enjoy, and safe trip home!

Headed up to Moosehead Lake in about a 7 weeks.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, grampy said:

We absolutely love going to Maine!  We were up in the Wells area last month. And I took home a nice sack of goodies from the Kittery Trading Post.  That place is awesome! Enjoy your vacation, and the sunrise! 

Wife and I spent almost $400 at Kittery, their archery and gun area put bass pro / cabelas to shame.. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Boy that'd be a long drive from here, 11 1/2 hours approx.  I'd love to go, went to Booth Bay Harbor as a kid and it was great.

Parents would drive to Wells (near Kittery and south end of state; and then drive up there for a few days before back to Wells; twice a year for many years.

Guy who mounted moose in lobby of KTP did a bunch of mounts for me, that was a poached moose from Maine F&W. He did a double locked horn set for  LL Beans main store. Won world championship with moose calves where I met him. Mark Dufresne.http://www.wideopenspaces.com/incredible-true-story-battling-maine-bull-moose-mount-made/

Like the pics and have a terrific time there,  beautiful area and hope you post some more!

Granted, it was decades ago when I visited Bar Harbor. At that time there were numerous roadside stands along the roads selling cooked lobsters. Basically a wood fire, huge kettle of boiling water, pick out your lobster, thrown in to cook and served on a paper plate with butter and consumed while sitting at a picnic table. IRC, they were ~$5, so I had to make many stops while up there. Are those places still around?

The drive time was the only reason I never returned to that beautiful place. IRC, it was in the neighborhood of a 12-14hr drive, esp if you went up the coastline.

6 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Boy that'd be a long drive from here, 11 1/2 hours approx.  I'd love to go, went to Booth Bay Harbor as a kid and it was great.

It was 10 hrs for us not bad most of the way, except out side of Boston. 

Snapped a photo at 3:30 am of the harbor.. 

3F77141C-2FE0-440B-BD74-9B1573695D4F.jpeg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Granted, it was decades ago when I visited Bar Harbor. At that time there were numerous roadside stands along the roads selling cooked lobsters. Basically a wood fire, huge kettle of boiling water, pick out your lobster, thrown in to cook and served on a paper plate with butter and consumed while sitting at a picnic table. IRC, they were ~$5, so I had to make many stops while up there. Are those places still around?

The drive time was the only reason I never returned to that beautiful place. IRC, it was in the neighborhood of a 12-14hr drive, esp if you went up the coastline.

We came in on rout 3 and only seen  a few stands with the pots boiling over a wood fire ready to go.. 

11 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Parents would drive to Wells (near Kittery and south end of state; and then drive up there for a few days before back to Wells; twice a year for many years.

Guy who mounted moose in lobby of KTP did a bunch of mounts for me, that was a poached moose from Maine F&W. He did a double locked horn set for  LL Beans main store. Won world championship with moose calves where I met him. Mark Dufresne.http://www.wideopenspaces.com/incredible-true-story-battling-maine-bull-moose-mount-made/

Like the pics and have a terrific time there,  beautiful area and hope you post some more!

Were you the one who knows the owners of Mike's Crab Shack in Wells? That is hands down, the best place to eat in the area!  The sea food is to die for, as well as the beef, chicken and pork. We have sampled all of it, over the years. Can't wait to go back for more!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, grampy said:

Were you the one who knows the owners of Mike's Crab Shack in Wells? That is hands down, the best place to eat in the area!  The sea food is to die for, as well as the beef, chicken and pork. We have sampled all of it, over the years. Can't wait to go back for more!

Ya, Mikes is worth a stop if in that southern Maine area......:drinks:

• Like 1