If you had the finances or opportunity to be able to hunt any big game animal in the world is there one that you would not hunt

Hunter007

For many years I'd thought I'd like to hunt an American Bison/Buffalo, a majestic beast. More of a romanticizing about reliving the mountain man or wild west era! After seeing many TV shows about hunting them, seems to be more like shooting ducks in a barrel than anything requiring any particular hunting skills. JMO, that'd be one of those "anti-climatic" hunts.

To each his/her own, but for me I'm more into the up-close-n-personal type of hunting. So anything requiring sniper skills wouldn't be on my top 10 big game bucket list. Also, I'd probably not enjoy hunting any big game with a bow that could possibly eat or harm me...ie; griz, lions, etc.

I once thought about the same for the buffalo hunt ^ .  Would be great but it doesnt look very challenging - like hunting holsteins.  But i wouldnt do any hunt that is sitting somewhere over a feeder on a scouted place.   Just isnt my bag.  No issue with anyone who does it.  And not because of the baiting but because I dont feel like i did the hunting.  To go somewhere and a guide points and says "shoot it"  just doesnt have any appeal to me. I would rather be dropped off somewhere where there is game and you have 10 days to get one go do it....  figuring out the puzzle is my favorite part of hunting        

Edited by Robhuntandfish

6 hours ago, Storm914 said:

If you had the finances or opportunity to be able to hunt  any big game  animal in the world  is there one that you would not hunt .

The only ones  i would think twice about would be primates and elephants .

O and bigfoot lol 

Well I guess we wouldn't have much to talk about.....

If I won the lottery I'd spend every penny on elephant hunting the best areas as often as possible starting with Nyae-Nyae in Namibia and moving to Tsholotslo in Zimbabwe.

And spent last few days cleaning up multiple baboon skulls. 

01PAJLD.jpg

Have zero interest in high fence deer.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

If I won the lottery I'd spend every penny on elephant hunting the best areas as often as possible starting with Nyea-Nyea in Namibia and moving to Tsholotslo in Zimbabwe.

01PAJLD.jpg

Cool skulls 

• Thanks 1

Muskoxen.....You pursue them with dogsled, or more likely, snow machine until they form a defensive circle, then approach them and shoot one...Chances are the temps will be well below zero...The only challenge is GETTING there, and it's too damn cold for me...  Now if I had a cute little Inuit girl to guide me and snuggle in the igloo, it might make a difference, but in my experience, good looking Inuit women are MUCH more rare than B&C Muskoxen...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm afraid that I am of the age where I have to look at the level of physical energy that has to be expended. For example, there are critters in New Zealand that live on mountains that tire me out just looking at them. A lot of where Jim Shocky hunts would be impossible for me.

Also, I no longer have any desire to hunt things that hunt back. I think I can happily live out the rest of my years without ever seeing a G-bear in the flesh. There was a time when I would like to have replicated Fred Bear's or Tred Barta's griz hunt with a bow. It doesn't enthuse me at all anymore.

Further, I don't want to hunt anywhere that requires you to carry a snake-bite kit. I like to feel comfortable looking around at all of nature that surrounds my hunt and not having my eyes riveted on the next place I am placing my foot.

Small game and deer found behind my house is just fine with me from this point on.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

If I won the lottery I'd spend every penny on elephant hunting the best areas as often as possible starting with Nyae-Nyae in Namibia and moving to Tsholotslo in Zimbabwe.

01PAJLD.jpg

Actually seeing films on how mean and nasty baboons can be i would have no problem shooting one of them. 

But other primates i  would leave be .

Elephant not sure about  they seem to have human like emotions for one and 

i mean once you spot one how do you miss lol they dont seem like a animal that would really president a challenge.  Except the work it would take getting it out and processing it. 

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

Actually seeing films on how mean and nasty baboons can be i would have no problem shooting one of them. 

But other primates i  would leave be .

Elephant not sure about  they seem to have human like emotions for one and 

i mean once you spot one how do you miss lol they dont seem like a animal that would really president a challenge.  Except the work it would take getting it out and processing it. 

Dangerous game, especially elephant, is about getting in close. Like as close as a bow hunter would take a shot for a deer here, 10-25 yds. You are invading their space, trying to do it on the stealth, and hoping everything comes together. The consequences for screwing up is what makes it what it is. Its about the tracking, evaluating, making a plan, getting in for a closer look and getting out without them knowing you are there; the team work and nervous relief for all when it comes together.  

To be in a herd of pissed off females is amazing, chaotic, scary, thrilling, all rolled into one; and its all happening crazy fast. I been fortunate to experience that and it was a game changer for me. It all slows down, like slow motion for me, I can remember the smell, sounds of branches breaking and chest rattling trumpets. 

To see a whitetail still gives me a thrill.....but it will never be the same.

Its not everyone's gig.

• Like 4

I'd love to hunt Africa, except for giraffe, elephants, probably even the big cats, I just don't have the desire to kill them, I'm not against it in any way, just don't think it's for me. They just don't do anything for me in the hunting realm of things. I'd love to shoot them with my DSLR though. Goats are also at the bottom of the hunting barrel for me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk