If you had the finances or opportunity to be able to hunt any big game animal in the world is there one that you would not hunt

Hunter007

56 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I would love to do a New Zealand Red Stag hunt.

OK I will raise my hand as the newest member of the I can't read properly club!!

What I WOULD NOT hunt....

Elephant, apes, giraffe, cats..... pretty much anything I would not eat. Besides yotes and chipmunks I am pretty adamant about that. And pretty much anything I would consider shooting not hunting. For each it is a lot of personal input on your answers and how and where you were raised. I have nothing against any legal, ethical hunting on sustainable animals. Just my choices.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 3

Mine would be a grizzly with a bow but the only expense I would want would be transportation, food,  lodging, and the cost of having someone help get it out. Point me to the general area and let me kill or be killed. :aikido:

Edited by Steve D

8 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Mine would be a grizzly with a bow but the only expense I would want would be transportation, food,  lodging, and the cost of having someone help get it out. Point me to the general area and let me kill or be killed. :aikido:

Can you say " BEAR POOP" ?......Hehehe....

2 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Anyone that would require getting up before 4:30 AM, or walking much more then a half a mile . Oh and no  creepy bugs, snakes , or hot temperatures , or real cold too I guess .

You are truly a dedicated hunter!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Dangerous game, especially elephant, is about getting in close. Like as close as a bow hunter would take a shot for a deer here, 10-25 yds. You are invading their space, trying to do it on the stealth, and hoping everything comes together. The consequences for screwing up is what makes it what it is. Its about the tracking, evaluating, making a plan, getting in for a closer look and getting out without them knowing you are there; the team work and nervous relief for all when it comes together.  

To be in a herd of pissed off females is amazing, chaotic, scary, thrilling, all rolled into one; and its all happening crazy fast. I been fortunate to experience that and it was a game changer for me. It all slows down, like slow motion for me, I can remember the smell, sounds of branches breaking and chest rattling trumpets. 

To see a whitetail still gives me a thrill.....but it will never be the same.

Its not everyone's gig.

The way you describe that hunt  I would definitely think about doing one .

But only if it is in  a place where they really need to CONTROL the population. 

Just because from what i have seen and read  elephants are one of the only animals that mourn their dead a lot like humans do . There not something i would just go shoot with out a good reason besides just the challenge of the hunt . I  rather leave them be take a picture of one then shoot one .  And go after something else overthere . Like a cape Buffalo  or hippo  

Anything behind a fence or bread for genetics. Anything that I couldn't legally bring home including polar bear, lion. Giraffe, Hippo, rhino, probably absolute last on the list would be a cull tuskless elephant. Otherwise, although I don't have the means, I would at least have interest in a fair chase hunt for most big game. 

I am a somewhat fussy eater, and because of that, there are a lot more big game animals that I would not hunt, than I would, regardless of my free time or finances.  Topping the list in North America would be the mule deer.  I killed one myself and it tasted terrible, as has any other that I have tried at game dinners, etc.   At the other end of the spectrum, there is no big game animal that I would rather hunt (regardless of my free time and finances) than Whitetail deer on the edges of the Adirondack park, near some Ag land.  I feel very blessed to have both the time and finances to do that now, and have been able to score up there a few times over the last several years.   They taste great, the scenery up there is the best in the world (in my book anyhow), and the hunting pressure is minimal.  That makes for an "unbeatable" combination.  Other big game animals that I would not rule out are black bears under 200 pounds, moose, and elk.  They all taste great.  Every other big game animal is a no-go for me no matter how much free time or extra cash I have.  "Antlers" and "challenge" mean next to nothing to me, as a pure meat hunter.       

I am a somewhat fussy eater, and because of that, there are a lot more big game animals that I would not hunt, than I would, regardless of my free time or finances.  Topping the list in North America would be the mule deer.  I killed one myself and it tasted terrible, as has any other that I have tried at game dinners, etc.   At the other end of the spectrum, there is no big game animal that I would rather hunt (regardless of my free time and finances) than Whitetail deer on the edges of the Adirondack park, near some Ag land.  I feel very blessed to have both the time and finances to do that now, and have been able to score up there a few times over the last several years.   They taste great, the scenery up there is the best in the world (in my book anyhow), and the hunting pressure is minimal.  That makes for an "unbeatable" combination.  Other big game animals that I would not rule out are black bears under 200 pounds, moose, and elk.  They all taste great.  Every other big game animal is a no-go for me no matter how much free time or extra cash I have.  "Antlers" and "challenge" mean next to nothing to me, as a pure meat hunter.       

No caribou? Best tasting game I’ve ever eaten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

No caribou? Best tasting game I’ve ever eaten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had it and it was good but it would be a little to cold for my liking, up where they live.  I did not like it as good as moose, and would rate the flavor about a tie with elk and Ag-fed Whitetail.

On the other hand every year just before gun season , I have the same dream, where walking in through a farm field I come upon a flying saucer, and a group of aliens, one of which I have to kill .

Not sure if that’s a big game animal or not, but I’d def do that hunt .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Always loved elephants.  Seem like caring giants.   So I don’t think I would kill one or primates.   They just seem to close to human. 

Really? You must be hanging out with the wrong humans. Ever see what a baboon can do?

Oh, wait, humans have become more like them.

What wouldn't I hunt? If I had unlimited cash? I would have to make a list of pros and cons. Would I eat it, or hunt and kill it to allow other species to prosper....

Not an easy question to answer.

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Oh I'd shoot a Kangaroo in a heart beat. Just a deer that is up on two legs...lol. I heard they taste very good. 

I think they have nuisance permit for them or something like that in Australia.  Apparently they've over run and have become pests.

22 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Nope, and that would include blue whale given the unlimited financed I would be able to use those to build a house large enough to house the mount

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

my cousin's husband is Portuguese. he has old photos of his (insert however many greats)grandfathers harvesting whales.  that's how those seaside communities survived. some of the coolest photos i've ever seen.

• Like 1

i don't think there's anything i wouldn't hunt at least once. although i'm a dad now so i'm not sure i'd be going on say an asian water buffalo hunt with a bow.  that's also mean the family would be toted along with me, at least to the destination, not out on the actual hunt.  north american big game would probably take precedence over other continents, despite game and experience abroad might trump some here.

49 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Oh I'd shoot a Kangaroo in a heart beat. Just a deer that is up on two legs...lol. I heard they taste very good. 

Remember the Webster kangaroo ? It was idk 20 or more years ago, all these sightings of a kangaroo in my town , I always figured it was some sort of deer ,perhaps with front legs shot off or something .

Found it ,1,995 ,man I love the inter web !

ACCE4D40-F27C-4FC5-ADCE-762AD8E4E491.png

Edited by Stay at home Nomad