Summer Planting

I  have had good results with oats  planted in mid to late August...I have planted mostly the triple washed, but did try some forage oats last year and they may be worth the extra money...

I  also plan to put in a strip of winter wheat on my murder plot at the same time...First time for me with the wheat, but my neighbors have had excellent luck with it..

2 hours ago, corydd7 said:

I'm going to stagger my plantings as a lesson from last year. Turnips, sugar beets and radishes are going in next weekend, then August 1ish kale and rape. Top seed winter wheat first week of September.

So you just broadcast the wheat? How does it grow?

Yeah I broadcast into brassicas last year two weeks into September. Deer hammered it after a couple weeks. They preferred wheat over oats that grew great but for the most part weren't touched. Also grew very well lightly broadcast into a first year low ph clover plot. I only bought it do to other posters on here having success knowing it grew well in almost any soil.

I will overseed most of my bean plots with a bulb blend(PTT, GHR, Rutabaga) in early august late july.. whenever rain looks persistent. And a brassica fall blend mix in other plots. Depending on browse pressure, ill have a chance to broadcast cereal grains in if there is room around September 1st.  Trying to keep things growing at all times  of the year. 

I like to offer a buffet .. tp pull deer from neighbors that dont have plots if possible. 

Oats will go good in late august early September. If it were me, Id buy forage oats. Maybe mix the forage oats with Winter Wheat or Cereal Rye. Triticale is very good too 

Im going to get my trail cut to get the tractor into the plots this weekend. Im going to get some pumpkins in the ground ASAP around some of the edges of the plots, then turning the ground over and planting the main parts in mid August. One plot will be a winter rye/clover mix and the other will be brassicas and oats.

• Like 1

U plant mid August too, or later.  I llok at the weather.

In a week or two, you can spray weed killer, plow spil, or mow weeds a week or two before spraying. 

I plow or till, then a week or two later do it agsin. It kills the freshly sprouted weed seeds.

In modern farming herbicides have offset the amount or ground work done to soil.  Old time farmers used to plow then till a week or so later.  Bury the big stuff and kill the fresh stuff later.

Well I'm early but beets radishes and turnips are in the ground. Two more late season plots to go in the beginning of August.

I agree with sailing finding some rain right after planting is more important then planting on a certain date. I had this 1/2 acre plot seeded about 20 minutes before a hard rain. 

I’m going to do straight winter wheat this year. My deer hammered it last year and preferred it over everything else I planted. Plus I can make a few bucks back on it in the summer when my neighbor cuts and bales it. He should be cutting this week, not sure how many bales we will get from it yet but it’s better than nothing. Covers what I need for my animals for the coops and puts a few dollars back in my pocket. Win win! I’ll plant a lot more wheat this year and a lot thicker so I should have even more bales to sell next year. Wasn’t sure how the deer would take to the wheat last year so I only planted about 1/3 of the field in straight wheat and lightly over seeded the rest of the field. Sat in my stand last year watching the deer hang out on the opposite side of the field where the wheat is the entire time. Lesson learned!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I’m going to do straight winter wheat this year. My deer hammered it last year and preferred it over everything else I planted. Plus I can make a few bucks back on it in the summer when my neighbor cuts and bales it. He should be cutting this week, not sure how many bales we will get from it yet but it’s better than nothing. Covers what I need for my animals for the coops and puts a few dollars back in my pocket. Win win! I’ll plant a lot more wheat this year and a lot thicker so I should have even more bales to sell next year. Wasn’t sure how the deer would take to the wheat last year so I only planted about 1/3 of the field in straight wheat and lightly over seeded the rest of the field. Sat in my stand last year watching the deer hang out on the opposite side of the field where the wheat is the entire time. Lesson learned!

What area are you in I'm in 5h? I had the same exact experience last year. Deer would choose wheat from the co-op over the big bag mix.

What area are you in I'm in 5h? I had the same exact experience last year. Deer would choose wheat from the co-op over the big bag mix.

I’m in 4H. I planted rye, purple top turnips, winter peas and some other mixed brassica stuff and they preferred to eat the wheat to the ground. Instead of wasting my money on other seed I’ll just give them what they want most.
  • Like 1

It is funny to see what they prefer in certain areas. Each areas offer different natural browse etc.. Last year I did winter wheat as well over seeded into some fall plots, since the brassicas didnt do to well from lack of rain..but the deer tore up the WW. I am not a fan of mono culture plantings anymore. But it will be in my blends this fall. Whether planted with brassicas or overseeded in them come September..