Most wanted for 2018

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

most bucks ive seen are behind last years growth. perhaps it was the lack of spring as a season. we went from snow to 70 in a day.. not much chance for a green up. apples seem spotty as it was to cold or heavy rain when blossoming. hazelnuts seem fair . acorn and hickory are sparce as well.. hope food plots come in well and take up the slack...

I actively start deer scouting in early June right after turkey season ends. I have seen many dozens of bucks over the past 5 weeks. Some seem to be on schedule but as I stared earlier, many seem to be lagging behind. I also believe that the deer had a far more stressful late winter/early spring that most realize. The apple crop here looks really strong...need to get out a check the oaks. I haven't had a good acorn crop around for the past two years now.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Will be waiting on this guy October 1st

This is him last year as a 10
bdade9dd461bc7820b7d18ab019df4e3.jpg
ad7811842687d037423b5fa9dfb88ad2.jpg

Now this year he’s gained a point and some decent size. He’s no booner but a nice but for this area.
3f4de4281e6c79bafba2b13c39ff8ef6.jpg
3eabbdf4fdcf2c678f55d7a6dce00b91.jpg
6c304b259e30b7599d70c310e085a444.jpg

based on your photos i think he's 4.5 yrs old this year and won't get much bigger from here on out. hope you see him in another month or so. that's a nice buck.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas. This will be my 4th season here and I still haven’t shot a buck in hopes that I can grow some decent ones. Looks like it’s starting to pay off. Ive got a bunch of up and comers and there’s quite a few bucks I still haven’t seen show back up yet if they ever do.

It’s fun to watch specific bucks grow. I’d like to give this guy another year to grow but if he wanders too far he’s going to get shot by a neighbor. He went nocturnal last year mid October until 2nd week of November. Was around during the day for about a week and then he went nocturnal again for the rest of the year. Gonna try and get him early before he gets a chance to follow that same pattern again

Thanks fellas. This will be my 4th season here and I still haven’t shot a buck in hopes that I can grow some decent ones. Looks like it’s starting to pay off. Ive got a bunch of up and comers and there’s quite a few bucks I still haven’t seen show back up yet if they ever do.

It’s fun to watch specific bucks grow. I’d like to give this guy another year to grow but if he wanders too far he’s going to get shot by a neighbor. He went nocturnal last year mid October until 2nd week of November. Was around during the day for about a week and then he went nocturnal again for the rest of the year. Gonna try and get him early before he gets a chance to follow that same pattern again

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, farmhunter said:

Great old buck WNY - hope you get a shot at him.  Wondering if he was wounded a bit last year - or if March took its toll - hes super mature but I wouldn't thing regressing yet - maybe though!

Hope to see him on the ground in a  couple weeks for you - 

I think that the late spring had a lot to do with it. Overall, it seemed to be a bad year for antler growth as many of the older, known age bucks that l have history with and friends of mine have history with did not grow or were smaller than they were last year. Also, this deer was super active in the rut last fall and had actually shed between getting pic of him on 12/10 and 12/20...