CWD. Are we just lucky?

avg. joe

With New York being the only state that had CWD show up once and seems to not have reared its ugly head again, are we just that lucky, or is it still out there, just undetected so far? Every other state it has showed up in has had it spread further in the herd. Pennsylvania has an ever expanding Disease Management Area. It has been detected in Ohio and Maryland and spread through the herd. Or are there environmental conditions in New York that are helping? I would like to think (hope) that maybe we won't see it again in New York, but the odds seem against it. What do you think?

I think the only time it showed up was in some farm-raised whitetail that was imported from another state and fed to some folks at a wild game dinner.  I wonder if any of those folks who ate it got sick ?   I think  that the NY state DEC does a pretty good job of regulating the deer herd, without bowing to pressure from trophy hunters as has occurred in many states where CWD is now a problem.  As long as they keep up the good work, and keep us meat-hunters happy, it is unlikely that CWD will ever take a foothold here in NY.      

56 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I think the only time it showed up was in some farm-raised whitetail that was imported from another state and fed to some folks at a wild game dinner.  I wonder if any of those folks who ate it got sick ?   I think  that the NY state DEC does a pretty good job of regulating the deer herd, without bowing to pressure from trophy hunters as has occurred in many states where CWD is now a problem.  As long as they keep up the good work, and keep us meat-hunters happy, it is unlikely that CWD will ever take a foothold here in NY.      

Another clueless post. Do some research before you make yourself sound stupider than you already do.  If thats possible?

CWD in Ny came from a taxidermist/Rehabber  that was fed fawns from the local herd by the DEC themselves. Regulating our herd? Good One!  

Ny will first have to test enough animals before they find the CWD that is no doubt in our state. When CWD comes to town your deer herd goes up in numbers  and causes no harm.

10 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Another clueless post. Do some research before you make yourself sound stupider than you already do.  If thats possible?

Hey FSW, how about this instead; "I have some information you may want to consider"

It comes off a lot better than "Hey, stupid".  

• Like 4

Hey FSW, how about this instead; "I have some information you may want to consider"
It comes off a lot better than "Hey, stupid".  

Facts are Facts. This guy has made post after post if stupid remarks that he has no clue what the facts are. If one does not want to be called out for making stupid senseless posts then do some research before posting or don't post on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Facts are Facts. This guy has made post after post if stupid remarks that he has no clue what the facts are. If one does not want to be called out for making stupid senseless posts then do some research before posting or don't post on the subject.

Let's assume that you are 100% correct that Wolc isn't as well versed on the subject as you are.

Don't you think it's better to respectfully point out the alternative view without resorting to name calling?

I disagree with a lot of people from time to time and usually enjoy a healthy debate. Until the back and forth starts to devolve.

The entire country needs a return to civility, and this forum doesn't have to read like a comments section on a Fox news article.

• Like 2

Let's assume that you are 100% correct that Wolc isn't as well versed on the subject as you are.
Don't you think it's better to respectfully point out the alternative view without resorting to name calling?
I disagree with a lot of people from time to time and usually enjoy a healthy debate. Until the back and forth starts to devolve.
The entire country needs a return to civility, and this forum doesn't have to read like a comments section on a Fox news article.

Oh how I wish you were right. This is not his first time commenting on this subject without any knowledge and he was called out on all of them also. He refuses to learn the facts so his posts will get the reply they deserve.

14 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

CWD in Ny came from a taxidermist/Rehabber  that was fed fawns from the local herd by the DEC themselves. Regulating our herd? Good One!  

Ny will first have to test enough animals before they find the CWD that is no doubt in our state. When CWD comes to town your deer herd goes up in numbers  and causes no harm.

Another venom filled post.   Do some self research before you make yourself sound angrier than you already do.  If thats possible?-   sound familiar.....

• Like 1

Oh how I wish you were right. This is not his first time commenting on this subject without any knowledge and he was called out on all of them also. He refuses to learn the facts so his posts will get the reply they deserve.

Just sayin...... what if wolc was the one to call you stupid.  How would you feel and react?  

• Like 1

Another venom filled post.   Do some self research before you make yourself sound angrier than you already do.  If thats possible?-   sound familiar.....

Not Needed. If I were to make a comment as dumb as that on someone else's post I would expect nothing less then to be called out. Now if I were to make the same dumb comment numerous times about the same subject after already being called out on that subject then I would be making pretty stupid posts about a subject I was clueless about and should be called pretty stupid.

Not Needed. If I were to make a comment as dumb as that on someone else's post I would expect nothing less then to be called out. Now if I were to make the same dumb comment numerous times about the same subject after already being called out on that subject then I would be making pretty stupid posts about a subject I was clueless about and should be called pretty stupid.

again take out all the words you just said here of "stupid" and "dumb" -- change them to "angry" and "mean" --- what is the difference ?  You seem to get upset over very little.  Wolc's comment seemed benign to me.

Wont harp on you anymore, just sometimes i dont think you realize you got a short fuse and a quick gun, when sometimes the holster is the best place for it.  To each his own, Have a good weekend.    

Edited by Robhuntandfish

again take out all the words you just said here of "stupid" and "dumb" -- change them to "angry" and "mean" --- what is the difference ?  You seem to get upset over very little.  Wolc's comment seemed benign to me.
Wont harp on you anymore, just sometimes i dont think you dont realize you got a short fuse and a quick gun, when sometimes the holster is the best place for it.  To each his own, Have a good weekend.    

Well first off throwing blame on something that is not fact is unacceptable regardless of where it comes from and again this is not his first rodeo. He has made the same false comments in the past and still refuses to educate himself on the subject. That should get anyone called out.

OK, so aside from the back and forth over what somebody posted, can we get back to the topic. CWD is spreading in PA. It doesn't stop at the state line, even though that would be nice if it did. If it hits NY, which it probably will, if it isn't already here somewhere, do we have any hope of stopping it again? The prions that cause the disease can remain in the environment for years. That is why I wonder how we managed to control it and nobody else has. Or as was stated earlier, is it already here, just not yet detected. If so, then what?

It's the new Maxine Waters debating style ..... lol. Can't you just picture the bulging vein in the forehead, and the spit flying out of the mouth as FSW loses his mind at learning there are actually people that would dare to disagree with him. It's just a personality thing with him ..... Don't be concerned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

first I don't want to fight with you.But you are always berating people and belittling them in here ,you can say things politely and not put folks down ,I posted f'ed up in here and made mistakes and ALL the people were courteous enough to tell me in pvt, Oh by the way I like the post something interesting to think about. Oh and by the way please,please get your facts straight cwd started in the west  possibly from domestic sheep and cattle spread to elk and deer from what I read.

It's the new Maxine Waters debating style ..... lol. Can't you just picture the bulging vein in the forehead, and the spit flying out of the mouth as FSW loses his mind at learning there are actually people that would dare to disagree with him. It's just a personality thing with him ..... Don't be concerned.

Well if you are so sure of yourself prove me wrong!!! I could care less if someone disagrees but they sound pretty stupid when the facts show different! CWD does not just disappear or go away. Ny does not test enough animals to find any kind of disease. They don't want to see it so they don't test for it.

Well if you are so sure of yourself prove me wrong!!! I could care less if someone disagrees but they sound pretty stupid when the facts show different! CWD does not just disappear or go away. Ny does not test enough animals to find any kind of disease. They don't want to see it so they don't test for it.

first I don't want to fight with you.But you are always berating people and belittling them in here ,you can say things politely and not put folks down ,I posted f'ed up in here and made mistakes and ALL the people were courteous enough to tell me in pvt, Oh by the way I like the post something interesting to think about. Oh and by the way please,please get your facts straight cwd started in the west  possibly from domestic sheep and cattle spread to elk and deer from what I read.

Sorry man but you are years behind in this conversation. He has been told, shown and proven wrong in the past on the same subject yet Keeps on with the same stupid lines. It gets to a point and that point is long past. Educate yourself or stay out of the conversation is best for him after all this time.

There is a lot of good information out there on CWD if you want to look for it. It is up to you to decide on what you want to believe. Here are some facts, CWD is all ways fatal. If a deer gets CWD it will die from the disease unless something kills it first. CWD has along gestation period up to 3 years. Once CWD is found in an area it is probably there to stay and it will spread. As of now CWD has not jumped the species barrier. If CWD ever jumps the species barrier all deer hunting will end as we know it.

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

There is a lot of good information out there on CWD if you want to look for it. It is up to you to decide on what you want to believe. Here are some facts, CWD is all ways fatal. If a deer gets CWD it will die from the disease unless something kills it first. CWD has along gestation period up to 3 years. Once CWD is found in an area it is probably there to stay and it will spread. As of now CWD has not jumped the species barrier. If CWD ever jumps the species barrier all deer hunting will end as we know it.

LOL...Truth is CWD has done no harm in any herds, Evert state that has it has more deer then ever, The top 5 states in the record books have been CWD positive for years but yet stay the tops in the books every year. Throwing out the theory that it kills all mature bucks.  

That theory of once its found its there forever does not hold water or the whole state of every positive state would be positive, Thats not the case.

The map above speaks volumes, The state of West Virginia has 300 cases in 13 years?   More than 300 deer get killed by cars in a  month on the same states highways.   CWD is the same as scrapies in sheep and they do nothing to stop the filling of your local grocery store shelves.  CWD has been around forever and is nothing but a political disease.

Once every state becomes positive they will have nothing to push and it will go by the way of the Ebola Virus.   Cant Wait!

LOL...Truth is CWD has done no harm in any herds, Evert state that has it has more deer then ever, The top 5 states in the record books have been CWD positive for years but yet stay the tops in the books every year. Throwing out the theory that it kills all mature bucks.  
That theory of once its found its there forever does not hold water or the whole state of every positive state would be positive, Thats not the case.
The map above speaks volumes, The state of West Virginia has 300 cases in 13 years?   More than 300 deer get killed by cars in a  month on the same states highways.   CWD is the same as scrapies in sheep and they do nothing to stop the filling of your local grocery store shelves.  CWD has been around forever and is nothing but a political disease.
Once every state becomes positive they will have nothing to push and it will go by the way of the Ebola Virus.   Cant Wait!

Wow...you did it FSW!!! You disagreed and weren’t condescending and as a result offered information that was helpful to a post. ATTA BOY- keep it up!