Onto something new!

Robhuntandfish

• 4 weeks later...

Been busy and have basically stuck to the "live" thread so I'm just seeing this for the first time. First off, your welcome ? How's the trolling treating you ?? And yes, any idiot can troll around and catch fish, I'm living proof !!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’ve got two downriggers and no idea
How to use them emoji20.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Get a release, add a big weight to the end and snap line in release.  Done.  Don't forget to drop the weight with release in the water.  heck Andrew is catching fish!  Honestly we probably catch as many on dipsey rods as the riggers.

3 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Been busy and have basically stuck to the "live" thread so I'm just seeing this for the first time. First off, your welcome ? How's the trolling treating you ?? And yes, any idiot can troll around and catch fish, I'm living proof !!!

been hit and miss but have gotten a few.  Weve been doing well on slow trolls with worm harnesses so havent planer trolled a real lot.  Last weekend i didnt fish much due to weather but the weekend before limited out both days.  Had to add some lead line to get them down more than 4 colors.  We are goign out this weekend though and will prob troll some.  Will keep ya posted! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 2:58 PM, moog5050 said:

Get a release, add a big weight to the end and snap line in release.  Done.  Don't forget to drop the weight with release in the water.  heck Andrew is catching fish!  Honestly we probably catch as many on dipsey rods as the riggers.

my fishing buddy just got a dipsey and is gonna give that a try as well.  

my fishing buddy just got a dipsey and is gonna give that a try as well.  
Heck yes ! Great for deep water and pulling harnesses. Get some big blades and keep that 2.2 speed. Run boards with sticks and harnesses on dipsys. Grab some of those clamp on bells for the dipsy rods too, extremely helpful with the walleye nibbles.

For the tourney, we ran 6 boards, 2 dipsys and a rigger, fantastic eye program and was easily managed.

• Like 1

he is gonna run a braid and also got a snubber line on it.  Something else to play with lol.  We have a hard time nailing down our exact speed but we are right around 2 mph.  Downloaded a couple speed apps and it says 2 mph but it must round it. We have been running lead on the planers and he is gonna flatline a dipsey in the middle.  I like the lead better cause of running colors etc but the mono/braid is cert easier to work with.  Plus i think its easier to guage depth with the lead 

will def have him print out a chart for the dipsey - thanks 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

my toughest thing has been where to start at and how deep to run.  Been fishing a lot of 40 ft lately and slow trolling with trolling motor two rods with worm harnesses and no planers.  I actually run two spinning rods in my hands as the bite is just so light.  and we are going really slow.  more like a quicker drift  in a wind to keep the spinner working.  This has been working out pretty well.  Then we try planers in that 40ft area and run one line 6 colors and another 6.5 and picking up some but not as consistent as we would like to.  Course it is also mid august - prob the worst time to catch eyes so maybe expecting too much.  But we are working it.  Best luck on planers has been with 3.5 inch sticks.  Going out Sat for sure and was thinking about going right to the planers and the big motor troll but that worm harness action has been pretty good to me this season.  

he is gonna run a braid and also got a snubber line on it.  Something else to play with lol.  We have a hard time nailing down our exact speed but we are right around 2 mph.  Downloaded a couple speed apps and it says 2 mph but it must round it. We have been running lead on the planers and he is gonna flatline a dipsey in the middle.  I like the lead better cause of running colors etc but the mono/braid is cert easier to work with.  Plus i think its easier to guage depth with the lead 
will def have him print out a chart for the dipsey - thanks 
Speed is key. Other than buying a fish hawk, just be sure to run your stick next to the boat and see how she does. It should run on the fast side cause typically your losing some speed down deep. If you saw the currents in lakeO you'd crap, sometimes I almost don't believe it! That river current is something crazy. I have seen the boat speed be at 4.5 and the probe speed says 1.4. Nuts.

Send that dipsy out a side. Just a 1 or 1.5 setting is all you need. I like to keep the chute clear for netting.

I love that your stepping up your trolling game !

Keep us posted !

• Thanks 1