Bears

Dom

June is one of the bears most active times of the year. It's mating season for adult bears. And the two year old cubs, just leaving their mother, are searching out a place to call home. 

It seems like the NY bear population is steadily increasing. Even with more hunting opportunities available in high population areas.

Black bear hunting in NY, for the most part, is still more of an opportunity meets the hunter type thing. Not so much, hunters actually going out to exclusively hunt them. Perhaps in the future NY will allow the use of baiting bears, like other higher bear population states do. That will mean more bears killed by hunters, and help keep bear populations in check.

Though we have a healthy bear population here, I'm not really a bear hunter. And personally I'm not sure if I was, that I'd bait them. But I do think it could be a way to help control a growing bear population in some areas of NY.

• Like 1

This little guy walked passed me at 30yrds. When I was doing yard work last weekend. Small bear under 100lbs. There was a bigger one in the same area a few nights before that. My throw and grow patch is(was) there.

Top right corner 

6E5B5E0C-7B30-4439-B95B-B59047DFAB3C.jpeg

Edited by rachunter
Damn sideward pics

Had a few bears menacing around the neighbors at camp the last couple weeks.

Saturday as I left, a big ole bear, came out of the neighbors yard, and crossed right in front of the truck around 2pm, and stood in the ditch just a few feet off the road. Put the window down so my 3 yr old daughter could see. She got a nice close up look. He let us scope him out for a few seconds and took off like a stampede through the woods.. 

Its a wonder how they stay cool enough on summer days like these.. 

Sorry no pics. I never think to grab the camera lol

• Like 1