Potential or no?

Possibly, but its tough to tell, as I dont see any obvious identifying marks besides the spot in his left ear, which you cant see in the bottom pic. Thats a yearling buck, Number of points right now is impossible to tell, although it looks like he should be at least a 6. I dont think he goes past his ears though, beams have already started turning in.

• Like 2

Where I hunt there's no grain crops, so by about the 3rd week of July the bucks display pretty much what they'll be in October. Of course, less a few inches, some girth or bonus points/stickers. May be a different story if they're eating soybeans during July & August. IDK!??!

Can generally tell if a buck is going to be phenomenal if he has excessive above average growth during early stages of velvet, ie; May & June time-frame. You'll know when you see it!!!!!

Lets see some more photos later in July!

Edited by nyslowhand

• 3 weeks later...

i look at all the bucks i get on cam and pick the top 5 for my targets.. i dont worry about score just the best the property shows that year. if thays the best buck you have around then that should be your top target..jmo

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

here he is again from my most recent card pull. . . . I don't want to shoot him, but im fearing that the people on the neighboring properties will. . . what would you guys do? 

HE IS ONLY GOING TO BE SIX THIS YEAR.

Your choice:prankster:

Shoot if it makes you happy! that should be everyone's goal. I usually target the 3.5-4.5yr old bucks and older. but more often than not, a good buck that is showing a pattern and seems more hunt able than the rest, will reach the top of the hitlist faster. 

You can’t control what neighborhood properties will do. Some will shoot the first yearling to walk by some will pass on a 6. Do what you want and what makes you happy not anyone else. And if your really concerned about neighbors put up a fence.. Best of luck to ya

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

Good input guys, this farm hasnt been hunted in at least 5 years, so it mak3w me wineer why i dont have somethung bugger on camera, clearly adjacent properties are getting them 

bucks have different needs when growing antlers. but they may shift onto that farm come time when they are in hard horn. it happens at my place every year. big guys show up late august sept. before that all 1.5 and 2.5 year olds on camera.. dont put to much stock in summer photos

• Like 3

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

bucks have different needs when growing antlers. but they may shift onto that farm come time when they are in hard horn. it happens at my place every year. big guys show up late august sept. before that all 1.5 and 2.5 year olds on camera.. dont put to much stock in summer photos

exactly.....Bucks are male college Freshman.  If it time to eat they may hang at one bar/pub a couple blocks form your restaurant and not move around much. But let the time shift to going out and finding companionship and they will hit every establishment in town that has the ladies. If your property has the ladies they will show up. 

• Like 3