Interesting deer - coyote observation

Curmudgeon

38 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

This is second hand but still interesting information.

My daughter was driving when a fawn ran across the road followed by a coyote which had an adult doe right behind it. I wonder would came out best in that event. 

“ best “ was the coyote didn’t chase the deer into a collision with your daughters car. 

But betting on hungry coyote in the end. With a foot stomp beat down from the doe perhaps 

I saw the exact same scenario in an opening between two woodlots a few years ago as 2 yotes chased a bleating fawn with momma doe bringing up the rear.

Eventually the yotes caught the little vermin and all momma doe would do is a few mock charges and then stand and watch as they dragged her kid back into the timber.

The whole time I was inching closer with the camera and none of them payed any attention to me. I never got close enough to clear the tall grass for any decent shots of anything other than the doe watching, but I could see the yotes hauling off their catch!

Honestly, it was probably one of the coolest wild encounters I've ever witnessed.

• Like 3

I saw a bunch of yotes chasing 2 doe, looked like a mom and yearling into Canadarago lake a bunch years back.  Those doe swam into the middle of the lake then headed for the other side then came back.  Yotes did not follow across the road. Exeter state park I think we where hunting.  I think we where just past the boat launch heading North on 28.  Crazy sighting while driving.  I made my buddy pull over to see if the yotes would keep up the chase but that road stopped them in there tracks. 

Edited by NFA-ADK

sometimes they run and abandon other times i've seen a doe chase a yote to stomp it and the yote ran off a bit, had a stale mate, and then trot off with loss of interest.  i got to think it came back later though.  i've seen both.  also seen a fox try to run down a fawn close to the barn yard. the fox that had poor timing as we saw it going down and it ended up with the fox being run to the next hillside by a side-by-side and ATV as fast as they could go. lol