He here the army is thinking about going to 308 cal any truth to this

Hunter007

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It makes sense.  Your average recruit is getting stronger these days, so they should not have too much trouble lugging around the heavier ammo.   It would be nice to have something that could blast through bushes and walls a little easier than the .223 that they have been packing for the last 50 years.   With that ammo and a little Creatine in the MRE's,  they should be all set to kick some insurgents butts.    Very good move if that rumor is true.  

11 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

My guess is they are going to start using robots that follow you around and carry your ammo for you . could be the reason they are thinking of stepping  up to heaver ammo not as big of a deal if you have a pack  robot close by  carrying your stuff for you.

Edited by Storm914

I have not heard anything about going to the .308, but it would sure surprise the heck out of me...

Nearly all the major powers have gone to .22 caliber assault rifles, including the Soviets and the Chinese with their AK-74s...

One of the major issues against the .308 is that the recoil is too heavy  to be controllable in an easily portable infantry rifle on full auto...  Kinda negates the advantages of selective fire...  The M-14 and L1A1 were wonderful battle rifles  on semi-auto, but both of them were notorious ammo wasters on full auto.....Sending lots of rounds downrange  doesn't help much if you can't hit anything..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have not heard anything about going to the .308, but it would sure surprise the heck out of me...

Nearly all the major powers have gone to .22 caliber assault rifles, including the Soviets and the Chinese with their AK-74s...

One of the major issues against the .308 is that the recoil is too heavy  to be controllable in an easily portable infantry rifle on full auto...  Kinda negates the advantages of selective fire...  The M-14 and L1A1 were wonderful battle rifles  on semi-auto, but both of them were notorious ammo wasters on full auto.....Sending lots of rounds downrange  doesn't help much if you can't hit anything..

Maybe they are working on way to reduce the recoil of the 308 as well .  You no with them if they announce something now could  be years before they get it ready for development who knows.

Do a google search . Some will say, long range need, others will say today’s enemy wears body amour making it necessary. Other say each ten years the military does a new gun search and comes back to the . 223 anyways .

This is  nothing new .

wolc do,you know how much weight today’s soldiers carry around ? A Marine can hump 130 plus pounds , daughters last BF carried a gun that weighed about 100 pounds, he also,lost two inches in height ....due to that .

Ammo weight is small potatoes.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

Here’s what I know the army has looked at the 6.8spc. A 6mm-223 and the 6.5 Grendel. I would go with the Grendel but it’s not up to me. They’re going to say with 5.56 what they are going to do is get rid of the gas tube of the m-4 and go with a gas piston model maybe the HK416.

5 hours ago, Storm914 said:

I here the army is thinking about going to 308 cal any truth to this .

Good or bad ? What do you think 

I think it will happen in the future  if or when they figure out a way to reduce the recoil of something like a 308 and be able to get soldiers to carry the same amount of ammo probably with  the use of robots .  

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Well, Stormy, anything's possible, but I'll believe it when I see it....<<grin>>….

There is a reason why the whole world has gone from battle rifles to assault rifles over the last half century...

If they can make robots that can go where a soldier can go and carry your stuff  with them so you dont have to .and reduce the recoil  of a larger cal like 308 .

It is only logical they will go to a larger caliber. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they're working on .

Plenty of .308 rifles being used right now.  They may not be prevalent but the M14 is still used, snipers still use .300 WM bolt guns and the M60 still works.  Special OPs, Rangers, Seals, Special Forces, etc. can choose to use whatever they like.

• Like 1