Freaks of Four Seasons.

13 hours ago, land 1 said:

what do u care as long as its a legal business, not my type of thing but honestly why does it bother you, im guessing it does the way you asked your question? some guy is making a living do what he likes and working hard

There is always a few in every crowd. Some never see the good side of things I guess. 

454B887E-879E-43F1-9D9B-23AB2088FE97.png

6A11BE21-C7F4-4F09-86BB-43277B954550.png

• Like 16

19 hours ago, land 1 said:

what do u care as long as its a legal business, not my type of thing but honestly why does it bother you, im guessing it does the way you asked your question? some guy is making a living do what he likes and working hard

Well I definitely don’t lose sleep over it. It is just not hunting. Should be Advertised as shooting of genetically modified livestock in a cage. But it does make real hunting look bad. Everything nowadays just caters to lazy people. And I’m not bashing him personally, he’s taking advantage of a legal market for it. Shouldn’t be legal IMO. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

If I ever started a farm like this, I will have to quit deer hunting..Just wont be able to the see the wild ones same way.

Won’t ever happen to a real sportsman as far as quitting hunting.  It no doubt has changed my hunting as far as size of deer I will kill. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waterfowler said:

Well I definitely don’t lose sleep over it. It is just not hunting. Should be Advertised as shooting of genetically modified livestock in a cage. But it does make real hunting look bad. Everything nowadays just caters to lazy people. And I’m not bashing him personally, he’s taking advantage of a legal market for it. Shouldn’t be legal IMO. 

Everything nowadays?  After 23 years I would have to say you are a tad off on your estimation. 

40 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Won’t ever happen to a real sportsman as far as quitting hunting.  It no doubt has changed my hunting as far as size of deer I will kill. 

I agree, just that today I am lucky to see a nice buck every 2-3yrs and that maybe pushing 120 at best. If I have them in my yard of that caliber , allowing me to make a living; it would certainly raise the bar.

22 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Looking good.  Do you have good/bad years?  Or is each relatively the same since you’re controlling most factors?

Truthfully the only difference in years is the difference in doe and buck fawns. And those of course spell out your bottom line for the year. If you can average 20-30 buck fawns a year and continue that pace and the market continues to go at 3 to 7 grand each the good/bad factor is the bottom line.  Now there are bad years as far as luck if you lose animals to sickness or say yotes harassing some and they jump into fences or such and break legs or necks.                   The good is always there in the lifestyle and freedom of life everyday to decide what your day will consist of.   To be able to have everyday of hunting seasons off or taking a week or two vacation whenever the need arises can’t be beat.   It’s nothing like raising most other livestock where one is locked down to the farm. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Final push. 

9516B3CB-4C59-4D01-BE07-4E81D1A54728.png

076CEB2F-DC43-4136-8C26-4F4D16446E6D.png

03EBCC79-4323-4B97-82FA-076043FBE3CB.png

D3A540DE-A313-482A-8331-73E41CA0A314.png

A96C3F04-F313-4938-9443-0925896E0282.png

2545E677-279B-4BB1-B1E1-82FB4E0E3F74.png

Crazy how big they are!!!  Just curious, so I'll ask what was the biggest buck you ever had on your property in inches? Over 300"?? Pretty cool I'll bet to watch em grow!

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Crazy how big they are!!!  Just curious, so I'll ask what was the biggest buck you ever had on your property in inches? Over 300"?? Pretty cool I'll bet to watch em grow!

296 is my top. These are all on their 2nd racks. Lose more money if you keep them till 3yrs. This kinda shows the difference between 1yr and 2

225C1718-443B-4C20-9DB0-FE6C326ACB89.jpeg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

296 is my top. These are all on their 2nd racks. Lose more money if you keep them till 3yrs. This kinda shows the difference between 1yr and 2

225C1718-443B-4C20-9DB0-FE6C326ACB89.jpeg

I'm astounded at that kind of antler growth at only two years old!!

• 4 weeks later...

what's crazy is MSU deer lab did a study to see if you could buy a bunch of Four Seasons freakishly big whitetails and release them into the wild to grow big bucks in the free range herd. even did a simulation so show (if you if could ever afford it) to replace 50% of the buck herd with these deer. it gave you an average increase of 12 inches in antlers after 10 years but imagine the cost of buying say 1,000 of these farmed deer?! hahaha... it's crazy to think how much negligible stress and optimum year round nutrition and age can allow genetics to express their full potential when inside a fence.

in a free range herd they've even said it takes multiple years/generations of quality food for for genetic expression. not something you'd want to do but I wonder what would happen if you fed them mediocre food typical to what a free range deer would see. I bet they'd still be massive but nothing close to what they would be otherwise.

• Like 3

On 8/17/2021 at 3:51 PM, dbHunterNY said:

what's crazy is MSU deer lab did a study to see if you could buy a bunch of Four Seasons freakishly big whitetails and release them into the wild to grow big bucks in the free range herd. even did a simulation so show (if you if could ever afford it) to replace 50% of the buck herd with these deer. it gave you an average increase of 12 inches in antlers after 10 years but imagine the cost of buying say 1,000 of these farmed deer?! hahaha... it's crazy to think how much negligible stress and optimum year round nutrition and age can allow genetics to express their full potential when inside a fence.

in a free range herd they've even said it takes multiple years/generations of quality food for for genetic expression. not something you'd want to do but I wonder what would happen if you fed them mediocre food typical to what a free range deer would see. I bet they'd still be massive but nothing close to what they would be otherwise.

A little research would show you many,many years back it very well was high fence deer released into the wilds of Ohio to save that herd.  One would say Ohio stands above Ny in the whitetail world.  Mediocre food here ( Behind Fence)is pretty much what my deer get outside the fence. !8% Pellet and Clover,Alfalfa in every bite.  The genetics and the lack of stress is all it takes behind fence or in the wilds. Our 1000 acres of wild has produced bigger deer then most properties in our local area because of those same two things although we have some genetics its more age and lack of stress.

• Like 1

A little research would show you many,many years back it very well was high fence deer released into the wilds of Ohio to save that herd.  One would say Ohio stands above Ny in the whitetail world.  Mediocre food here ( Behind Fence)is pretty much what my deer get outside the fence. !8% Pellet and Clover,Alfalfa in every bite.  The genetics and the lack of stress is all it takes behind fence or in the wilds. Our 1000 acres of wild has produced bigger deer then most properties in our local area because of those same two things although we have some genetics its more age and lack of stress.
I agree the most influence to grow big antlers is age, nutrition, and genetics in that order. Somewhere towards the top and maybe part of those 3 is stress. Also assuming bucks on a property have equal potential when it comes to age and nutrition, no sense in not letting good genetics walk to so what they can do. Most hunters will power sucks.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...