Freaks of Four Seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree, it is interesting. 

Interesting, in that these farm deer, look nothing like the wild deer on our farm. Especially the yearling bucks! It is the exceptional yearling here, that will grow a small spindly eight point rack. More common for a yearling here is a spike or fork horn.

Its obvious that selective breeding plays a huge part, to get the antlers that grow on FSW's farm. And how rare it is for superior genetics to come together in the wild. To produce a record book buck.

I do wonder, if one of these huge bucks, or even one of the superior doe were to escape FSW's farm, and bred with a wild deer. Would the result be similar to what is on the farm?

• Like 1

I agree, it is interesting. 
Interesting, in that these farm deer, look nothing like the wild deer on our farm. Especially the yearling bucks! It is the exceptional yearling here, that will grow a small spindly eight point rack. More common for a yearling here is a spike or fork horn.
Its obvious that selective breeding plays a huge part, to get the antlers that grow on FSW's farm. And how rare it is for superior genetics to come together in the wild. To produce a record book buck.
I do wonder, if one of these huge bucks, or even one of the superior doe were to escape FSW's farm, and bred with a wild deer. Would the result be similar to what is on the farm?

I would send you to do some research of the state of Ohio going to deer farms to repopulate the wild herd back in the 50's and 60's. No doubt it would change up the size to a point. Would they ever get as big? No Way. These guys live stress free lives with full bellies at their Will. Never be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...