Pigeons

When I was training my first puppy years ago (RIP), I had her on over 500 pigeons between July-August in cut pea fields. It was a blast! By the time we got to September goose, she know her stuff. Funny though, watching her bring back her first goose after all those pigeons, "Man, this pigeon has been eating well, Dad!"

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I need to find somewhere to hunt pigeons also someone to go with. 50 birds, must have been just blasting left and right and if they really taste great would be awesome to have something to change up my chicken dinners

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

I need to find somewhere to hunt pigeons also someone to go with. 50 birds, must have been just blasting left and right and if they really taste great would be awesome to have something to change up my chicken dinners

I'm down but I'm not the best wing shooter so we'll come home with 40 instead of 50.  They're red meat though so your chicken dinners will stay the same.

• Like 1

I'm down but I'm not the best wing shooter so we'll come home with 40 instead of 50.  They're red meat though so your chicken dinners will stay the same.
Hell that's ok. It'd be great just to get out there and have some fun. Us Westchester folks don't get too many hunting folks around us

If you are going to be at least a little bit serious about it get 2 mojo pigeons and a half dozen full body decoys. They come right in and try to land in the set. Having 30 birds descend at once gets your blood pumping. Cheap Walmart Winchester or Federal 1 1/8 oz 7.5 and you are good to go. I now have 4 mojos...8 Flock Flickers...12 sillosock decoys..a rotary carousel....2 flappers...and. Dozen Soar No More full bodies...im sick in the head...my wife thinks ive totally lost it (though she is the one who orders two of this and three of that). As it is a 12 month a year hobby with no limits and no rules...you get a lot of enjoyment for the initial investment. 

Try to fnd a dairy with silage bunkers this time of year. In summer find a fresh cut eheat or rye field.  You can have 2-3 hours of solid shooting every morning. 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2019 at 9:01 PM, The Jerkman said:

Id also be interested in joining you guys! Sounds like a real fun time!

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:01 PM, The Jerkman said:

The hardest thing to do is just pick one bird out and shoot him before moving to the second target. Once you start flock shooting it ruins your shooting style for good. The beauty of pigeons is that after the first wave of shooting, they will often circle and come back or go to a silo or other part of the field and come right back to your decoys. We had a flock of about 100 birds come in at once last week and my poor brother in law never fired a shot because he didn't know which one to shoot at first. I LOVE those steady 3 and 4 pigeon groups. Oftentimes you can get them all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...