Ok All You ATV Experts

7 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I would join but my old Honda 300 Fourtrax would not keep up. It will still haul deer and take me were I want to go but it isn't going to win any races for sure.

Join in, that means my 360 will win a race  :-)

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2018 at 3:24 PM, moog5050 said:

Jay and I are starting an ATV gang.  We need an intimidating name and more members.   

congrats.  Looks awesome. 

Sign me up to the "Dust Devils"....................................when do I get my patch?              smirk.......  8)

• Like 1

A little late to this thread but I sold my 07 Yamaha grizzly 450 and picked up a 2013 ploaris rzr 800.....now that the two boys wanna head to the woods with me the quad wasn't cutting it anymore.
After being dead set on either buying a ranger crew cab or the pioneer 700 next spring I pulled the trigger on the rzr after I found out I could add a aftermarket third seat with a 5pt. restriant for the boys.
The rzr has better handling than the bigger utility sxs's and is a bit narrower so navagating trials is a bit easier.fde2528c76c533b9c0778ef22739b08a.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Driveshafts for the drive line but CVT tranny is belt driven.  I think almost all ATVs are the same except Honda.

Right, I was just curious on the Can am. Never been on one or looked into them. Owned many atvs but love my Honda wheelers since day 1. MY Honder has just under 10k miles, on a 1998 450 still a ton of compression. .. Treated me well for what I have put it through. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

A little late to this thread but I sold my 07 Yamaha grizzly 450 and picked up a 2013 ploaris rzr 800.....now that the two boys wanna head to the woods with me the quad wasn't cutting it anymore.
After being dead set on either buying a ranger crew cab or the pioneer 700 next spring I pulled the trigger on the rzr after I found out I could add a aftermarket third seat with a 5pt. restriant for the boys.
The rzr has better handling than the bigger utility sxs's and is a bit narrower so navagating trials is a bit easier.fde2528c76c533b9c0778ef22739b08a.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cool vehicle.  My cousin had one and it was fun.  Enjoy.   I don’t fit very well in one.  

On 7/8/2018 at 2:55 PM, sodfather said:

Picked this one up this morning from Craigslist King Quad 750 it’s what I was looking for and within my budget. Hope it works out 

BA92CABC-7459-4FAE-ACC9-9F8D4F955EE2.png

Good luck, i had a 2000 suzuki 500 quadmaster, its now with my cousin. Never a problem, just change oil. Its 18 years old and still has the original battery., suzuki makes a great atv which is often over looked. Enjoy your new ride.

• Like 1

From the looks of this thread us men must be going thru a mid life crisis. I myself traded in a perfectly like new massey ferguson tractor 1531 hydro with less than 200 hours for a new 1739 hydro. I gained 6 more HP at the engine and PTO,  bigger frame, tires, skid steer loader and newer technology. Trade value was excellent, guess i keep telling myself these are the reasons to justify purchasing my latest toy. Good luck Moog thats one ballzy ATV, much more power than you will ever need. Congrats. Make sure to wash after every ride. 

Jay and I are starting an ATV gang.  We need an intimidating name and more members.   
congrats.  Looks awesome. 

Ibuprofen and hospitalization chapter. Just like the mc gangs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

She's a beauty!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks Bob.  Put about 9 miles on her tonight.  We had a lot of fun.  Saw 9 or 10 Deer including a 2yr buck that let us watch him feed from 10yds away until we got bored with it.  He bolted at 5yds.  Lol.  Been a while since I did anyt kind of trail riding.  As usual Natalie was fearless.  

• Like 2

FYI - A couple HD ratchet straps around rear axle to trailer tie-downs are easier than how you've rigged yours. Same for front!

I had a Bombardier (CanAM) 500cc CVT Traxter for 11yrs and never had a problem with it... that I didn't cause myself! Typically put more hours than miles on mine each year. Changing oil & filter (on mine!) was a breeze, once you get the 2X special sockets (metric & Torx) and over the $$ of the synthetic engine/CVT oil. Another special tool I needed, a very thin walled spark plug socket. Most shop labor rates for ATVs, small engines, etc are comparable to dealership car shops.. ~$90/hr.

I had to learn this the hard & $$ way, read & understand the owner's manual. Buried within my manual's text, it mentioned to NOT use a pressurized wash for cleaning the ATV. Mine had a pretty deep well the spark plug was at the bottom of and if it got water in the well - you literally were F'ed until water was removed & plug changed. Your beast may be different, but see what manual says!

Never got mine stuck, other than in deep (12-15") of snow on top of unfrozen/wet ground. Depending on ATV's ground clearance, the skid plate underneath could bottom out and wheels won't get any traction, regardless of how aggressive the tire treads are!!! Winch time!

Here's a couple accessories I always carried and highly recommend to you! An ATV winch accessory kit (or one similar) and during deer season add a 50' roll of HD rope to extend the winching distance. As you know, deer don't always pick the most accessible spots to lie down & die!!

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

FYI - A couple HD ratchet straps around rear axle to trailer tie-downs are easier than how you've rigged yours. Same for front!

I had a Bombardier (CanAM) 500cc CVT Traxter for 11yrs and never had a problem with it... that I didn't cause myself!

I have a 500 Traxter myself (but not CVT). iIt is a pulling beast and honestly it isn't as fast as my 500 Polaris Sportsman but if tied end to end the traxter would pull the sportsman around in circles. 

Looks like you had some fun last night. Along the lines of tying down, I use 2 heavier ratchet straps, even on my side by side. 1 in the front, attach to front corner of the trailer, loop it through the front bumper of the SxS, then to the other front corner of the trailer. The other in the rear, attach to rear corner of the trailer, thread strap around rear part of the frame, attach to other rear corner of the trailer. Its quick, simple and keeps it secure. I would not recommend tying it down by the axles, use the frame and bumpers.

Between the two pics here you can see how I do it. You should be able to do something similar.

atv.jpg

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Looks like you had some fun last night. Along the lines of tying down, I use 2 heavier ratchet straps, even on my side by side. 1 in the front, attach to front corner of the trailer, loop it through the front bumper of the SxS, then to the other front corner of the trailer. The other in the rear, attach to rear corner of the trailer, thread strap around rear part of the frame, attach to other rear corner of the trailer. Its quick, simple and keeps it secure. I would not recommend tying it down by the axles, use the frame and bumpers.

Between the two pics here you can see how I do it. You should be able to do something similar.

atv.jpg

Yep - I was told not to use the axle.  I have ratchets to both sides of the hitch receiver and then to each corner of the trailer.  Front attaches to the frame and each front corner of the trailer.  That said, on the way home, I tried running the straps through the wheels and to each corner and it really held tight for the ride.

• Like 1