Ok All You ATV Experts

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Yep - I was told not to use the axle.  I have ratchets to both sides of the hitch receiver and then to each corner of the trailer.  Front attaches to the frame and each front corner of the trailer.  That said, on the way home, I tried running the straps through the wheels and to each corner and it really held tight for the ride.

I would suggest some heavier straps. I tend to go way overkill with them. I look at it like this, if something happens, I dont want that ATV flying off of the trailer if at all possible. The straps I use are 3" straps from Runnings and are rated at over 5000lbs working strength 18000 lb webbing strength each. If you get them at runnings on sale, they are about $20-25 each and will be very long, just trim them down to size. Ive used mine on cars, trucks, tractors, ATVs, anything short of really heavy stuff that Id use chain binders for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have a 500 Traxter myself (but not CVT). iIt is a pulling beast and honestly it isn't as fast as my 500 Polaris Sportsman but if tied end to end the traxter would pull the sportsman around in circles. 

Yeah, those Traxters were geared for pulling and not speed. Once I got a better hitch on mine, I could pull ~1000# (gravel) in a plastic dump trailer. Granted it took quite a bit more throttle, but try that with a Sportsman...!

Moog... did the dealer (??) give any reason for not using rear axle for tie-downs???? Not like you'd bend or distort the axle tube with the amount of tension needed using ratchet strap to simply keep ATV from moving side to side or frt to back on the trailer.... Baffling to me!??!

2 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Yeah, those Traxters were geared for pulling and not speed. Once I got a better hitch on mine, I could pull ~1000# (gravel) in a plastic dump trailer. Granted it took quite a bit more throttle, but try that with a Sportsman...!

Moog... did the dealer (??) give any reason for not using rear axle for tie-downs???? Not like you'd bend or distort the axle tube with the amount of tension needed using ratchet strap to simply keep ATV from moving side to side or frt to back on the trailer.... Baffling to me!??!

saw it here slowhand.  True or not I listened to him.  He has a video after all.  Lol

It’s 4 wheel independent suspension. No axle like out Traxters

I always like to compress the suspension on my wheeler with the cinch/cam type straps. 

Only issue I ever had was when I developed a flat on a rear tire of the old Honda 250 (Big Freaking Red) three wheeler while towing it home from a PA bow hunt.   I looked in my rear view mirror and saw too much movement coming down Rt 63 into Pavilion.  Sporty.........

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It’s 4 wheel independent suspension. No axle like out Traxters

Aren’t the half shafts that go from differential to each wheel also called axles?  I really am not sure but that is what I thought he meant.  

Edited by moog5050

41 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Aren’t the half shafts that go from differential to each wheel also called axles?  I really am not sure but that is what I thought he meant.  

Yes,  but a solid rear axle is actually a stronger design. One could hook  a ratchet strap to a solid axle but  not advised with the cv joints on a independent. This is what I use for our atvs. wheel chock tie downs by RACK’EM .

0BCA5544-5BF6-47DF-882C-0644227836B4.png

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I always like to compress the suspension on my wheeler with the cinch/cam type straps. 

Only issue I ever had was when I developed a flat on a rear tire of the old Honda 250 (Big Freaking Red) three wheeler while towing it home from a PA bow hunt.   I looked in my rear view mirror and saw too much movement coming down Rt 63 into Pavilion.  Sporty.........

I do the same so the suspension isn't bouncing. I've used ratchet straps but have also used the cam straps. I normally kneel right on the end of the machine and that compresses the suspension to tighten up. These days i am able to compress the suspension more than ever before...lol

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I do the same so the suspension isn't bouncing. I've used ratchet straps but have also used the cam straps. I normally kneel right on the end of the machine and that compresses the suspension to tighten up. These days i am able to compress the suspension more than ever before...lol

Why cam straps?  They just never seem as secure to me.

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Why cam straps?  They just never seem as secure to me.

I have used them on my trailer when hauling two wheelers. They are loaded sideways and the cam straps are pulling straight down to the trailer frame. with the suspension compressed from me being on the wheeler when tightening them they tighten very well.  One strap straight down on front and back of the wheeler.  Front one hooks to the winch frame easily and the back to the suspension cross bar on the polaris and the rear rack on the Traxter. You'll find something that works for you. there are a hundred ways to skin this cat. 

8 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have used them on my trailer when hauling two wheelers. They are loaded sideways and the cam straps are pulling straight down to the trailer frame. with the suspension compressed from me being on the wheeler when tightening them they tighten very well.  One strap straight down on front and back of the wheeler.  Front one hooks to the winch frame easily and the back to the suspension cross bar on the polaris and the rear rack on the Traxter. You'll find something that works for you. there are a hundred ways to skin this cat. 

Yep - tying through the rims to each corner worked really well but I will likely come up with something simpler but yet safe so that I don't have to mess with 4 ratchet straps.  I might just invest in that mighty tite system.  Looks so simple, drive into chocks and connect to hitch receiver - done - easy on and off.   Plus they have videos where they hang the entire trailer in the air and the ATV doesn't go anywhere.  Kind pricey though and certainly overkill.

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Yep - tying through the rims to each corner worked really well but I will likely come up with something simpler but yet safe so that I don't have to mess with 4 ratchet straps.  I might just invest in that mighty tite system.  Looks so simple, drive into chocks and connect to hitch receiver - done - easy on and off.   Plus they have videos where they hang the entire trailer in the air and the ATV doesn't go anywhere.  Kind pricey though and certainly overkill.

The nice part is the receiver portion is lockable. Nothing is 100% to a thief but if the trailer is locked to the truck and the wheeler is locked to the trailer, they better come with tools. 

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The nice part is the receiver portion is lockable. Nothing is 100% to a thief but if the trailer is locked to the truck and the wheeler is locked to the trailer, they better come with tools. 

true - although seems like weak link would be trailer to truck.  I can't fit much a lock in that hole that locks the tongue on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I compress mine as well. I just crank down the ratchets until shes squatting a couple of inches from normal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

true - although seems like weak link would be trailer to truck.  I can't fit much a lock in that hole that locks the tongue on.

They have locking pins for that. I have one around somewhere that I dont bother with anymore. I have insurance on my stuff, go ahead and steal it, Ill get a fat check and go buy something new.

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Yes the mighty tight looks great, I looked into it and decided I didn’t want to spend that kind of money on 3. But for only one  wheeler it would be worth it.. 

Edited by rob-c

12 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Seems easier to me to,keep dragging my deer out ......

Probably because you can pull your buick (I mean subarau) right up to it.  Gotta bring you to cal and you might change your mind, especially when doing work on the property.  It aint for the casual hunter but bucks can grow big there.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Most of my drags are across plowed fields and take an hour plus, if I take one in the woods, I still gotta drag to,it to the ditch .

Oh one would be handy , but I’d need a trailer and place to store it , and I don’t really do,any work on the land ,other then hanging stands and killin deer .

I am open to hunting California with you though .

still got the Buick a man would be plum crazy to sell that awesome hunting rig .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Haha 1

Just a heads up while a group is gathered , check your homeowners policy to make sure you are covered if it gets stolen from your house . I had a dirtbike stolen from me when i was a kid and homeowners didn't cover it . I can't remember the wording but it cleared the insurance company from covering it .

• Sad 1