Ok All You ATV Experts

10 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Nope, NY has not classified them as ATVs. It all has to do with how much they weigh.

10 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I did not know that! I thought they'd be handled just like an ATV.

10 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thats what I love about my side by side. No registration or plates, and I can slap an orange triangle on the back and drive it right down the road like a tractor.

i thought to use a slow moving vehicle sign (orange triangle) it has to be governed not to exceed 25 mph? we have a JD gator with one on it but only because it's a turd and doesn't go fast.  i think it was different several years ago.

i thought to use a slow moving vehicle sign (orange triangle) it has to be governed not to exceed 25 mph? we have a JD gator with one on it but only because it's a turd and doesn't go fast.  i think it was different several years ago.

Doesn’t have to be governed. You just can’t exceed 25mph while running the AG triangle.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update after 15hrs on this can am.   It is an absolute beast.   After getting over the fact that I would scratch and abuse this expensive new toy, I really put it through its paces.  From swamp driving after the heavy rains to tight wood driving and steeeeep hills.   It handled everything easily.  I was amazed at how well it did in the heavy muck.  The power steering means even my 9yr daughter can pilot it.  And I am enjoying “work days” so much more.  No buyers remorse here.   

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Quick update after 15hrs on this can am.   It is an absolute beast.   After getting over the fact that I would scratch and abuse this expensive new toy, I really put it through its paces.  From swamp driving after the heavy rains to tight wood driving and steeeeep hills.   It handled everything easily.  I was amazed at how well it did in the heavy muck.  The power steering means even my 9yr daughter can pilot it.  And I am enjoying “work days” so much more.  No buyers remorse here.   

Glad your enjoying it, atv’s are addicting for sure. Wait till you wear out the stock ho hum tires and buy a good set, the difference is night and day.. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2018 at 8:10 AM, moog5050 said:

They came with ITP terracross.  I like them so far.  

Thinking of putting a set of Terracross on my KingQuad 400ASI in the spring. They get great reviews as an all around tire. Are you still liking yours? BTW, I like the smaller machines vs the big bores for where I ride. If I get stuck out at the end of one of our steeeeep goat trails, I can get off and swap ends, with some difficulty. I can't imagine doing that on a big bore. Plus I like the much lower center of gravity.

20170825_170419-1.jpg

13 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

Thinking of putting a set of Terracross on my KingQuad 400ASI in the spring. They get great reviews as an all around tire. Are you still liking yours? BTW, I like the smaller machines vs the big bores for where I ride. If I get stuck out at the end of one of our steeeeep goat trails, I can get off and swap ends, with some difficulty. I can't imagine doing that on a big bore. Plus I like the much lower center of gravity.

20170825_170419-1.jpg

I love em.  Been great on not so groomed trails, woods and muck.  Pull right out of the muck without issue even when I intentionally sank it to the floorboards.  Only criticism I have read is that they can puncture, but I have not had a problem and ride some trails with small tree stumps sticking up.  I think they are 6ply.  I can't speak to long term wear as they are new this year.

My machine weighs over a 1000 with all the gear and it is a handful to the pick up the front and back end.  But I really need it for 2 up and my weight (which also allows me to pick it up better than most could - lol) and the desire to do wheelies.

• Like 1

moog5050, Yeah, I've read that about the puncture issue. Don't think that will be a concern where I ride, though. I've also read that they actually do pretty well in mud and snow, considering that they are an all round tire. I'm not a fan of mud, but I do love to ride in snow. Thanks for the reply.