Ok All You ATV Experts

Starting to seriously think about buying a quad both for fun and to tool around while working at 2 properties.   Even if it ain’t a plotting machine it will help me haul stuff in and out and I kinda just want one.  Side by side may be a bit to big to hug the field edges without damaging crops. Won’t hurt for hauling Deer out of my property the long way which currently sucks, especially with a less than stable knee.

So I am looking at a 2 person machine (to tote the kidos if they want) of at least 700cc.  Stopped by and saw a beauty of a can am outlander 1000r.   Looked real nice.  A bit pricey but I am a buy once exactly what you want person (never really ends up once but that’s what I tell myself).  

But for those that are really into to ATVs, give me your thoughts and preferences on the big bore machines.  I want more a work quad that will also get up and go if I want to play.  I don’t want a race machine.  Power and durability are the pros I need.  Thoughts?

Use the raptor :clapping::good:xD

All kidding aside, I would like  Can Am Defender if I decide I want a work machine, if I decide to go more of a recreation sxs, I am thinking maverick sport, or trail.  I am not experienced though.

Edited by Bionic

9 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

A nice Can Am Outlander would be perfect. 2 people easily and more than enough power. I've had a 400 Yamaha Bog bear for 16 years and it's all I need.  I do prefer gear shift vs auto.

Everything was auto.   I was surprised.  HIgh low neutral and reverse.  That’s it. 

The Can Am is a beast! Know a couple guys that have them,  workhorses and have plenty of pep for trails. Honda, Yamaha, Polaris all have solid machines, that will fit for what you're looking for. Go check a few different ones out. Sit on them, ask questions and go online for reviews. Better yet, take a ride on some, from friends or people you know. They all handle a bit different, just like a road vehicle. 

We've had them for years. They really are useful, and fun to have around. Perfect for doing "deer stuff". Be lost without them on the farm.

I bought a honda pioneer this winter. 

I drove the Polaris ranger 570. I liked it but the reviews were not great so I did not buy.

Checked the can am defender. Nice and plenty of power but way too big for what I wanted and more coin then I was willing to spend.

Test drove the Yamaha Viking.  Nice, but again too big and I thought it was noisy.

Went with the Pioneer 500 cause of the shaft drive, manual automatic transmission,  and not wider then a 4 wheeler.

I will say it is governed at 40 mph though, ground clearance is only 10 inches with factory wheels, and tipsy on a side hill so definitely has downsides.

I've got a 2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and a 2009 Grizzly 450. Bought them both new and besides routine maintenance, I've never had to do a thing but enjoy them. The 660 has been a beast. I've disked food plots with pull behind discs, carried deer with two people crammed on, and just bombed around on it for fun for years. Plenty of power.

I'm kind of looking at the new Grizzlies with FI and power steering just to upgrade the 03. Not because I need to, just sort of want a new machine. Kind of intrigued with the Viking too.

Can am all the way, those 1000's are beasts, if you can't do it with one of those you can't do it with an ATV. They are pricey but they hold their value extremely well. I bought an outlander new a few years ago and haven't had any issues at all. My buddy works as a mechanic at a powersports shop, he owns CanAm's primarily. My other friend is a shop foreman for a utility company and they have 4 Canam 1000's for pulling power cable etc, two have tracks and they are all but unstoppable. Go CanAm and don't look back is my opinion!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Polaris - my self I have read and seen to many problems with them for me to have any confidence in them.but they do ride like a Cadillac.. 

kawasaki - a 750 brute force v- twin is a awesome machine with all the power you want, Kawasaki fixed all the problems they had with seals etc. with the newer machines . but having said that the belt drive system on them can be a pain to maintain. 

Honda - they had problems with their electric shift transmissions , but I believe they have went with a duel clutch  auto transmission ( no belt) in their new machines. Honda’s are dead nuts reliable , but that’s because they don’t make a tons of power, thats the biggest complaint I hear.  

Suzuki - king quad is a great machine and dosent get a lot of talk , very underated. They have a very , very good belt drive  system ( same design as Yamaha ) the biggest thing with the king quad is it’s dated, but there’s been a bunch of talk about the new redesigned 2018 king quad being awesome .. 

Can -am - they had problems with their belt drives and I had read some on frames cracking, but that has all been fixed and I really don’t see or hear much going wrong with the newer one’s. When the wife and I go riding we see a ton of can-am’s on the trails and the guy’s are beating the snot out of them.. 

yamaha - my pick . I know your a big guy and so am I (6-3 290) i  have a 01 400 kodiak with some clutch work in the cvt belt drive and stock engine ,this little machine amazes me with what it does. Ok to the grizzly, Yamaha’s  belt drive is the best in the industry and is very very easy to modifie to increase your low end torque. The Yamaha’s are right  up there with Honda’s for reliability. Very sporty and fun to ride but can also work. I do know some guys were experiencing gas boiling on 2017/18’s and Yamaha had a fix.

ok just a few things to think about.

weight - The heavier the quad the harder it will be to manhandle it. 

V- twin ( brute force / can-am ) vs  single cylinder ( grizzly/ king quad) . V twin tons of power , but you have 2 plugs to change, 2 throttle body’s to malfunction, 2 timing chains to stretch etc. basically you have double the things that could go wrong. Not that any of the v twins are prone to problems but nothing is 100% , not as good of gas mileage. Single cylinder better gas mileage,  lots of power ( but still no v twin) easier maintenance, lighter over all quad.. 

google is your friend , find some  quads you like and google common problems for that quad. 

In the spring I am going to be looking for a couple big bores for my wife and I, and I am looking at Yamaha, Suzuki and can am. 

Almost forgot, no matter what you buy get power steering. Every guy that has gone to power steering quad will never go back.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

I have the polaris 570 sportsman 2nd yr with it snapped front axel when the boot let water in and it froze up had issues with getting the part covered under warranty but after alot of phones calls got the part covered not the labor, second the 1 1/4 hitch is weak and will split with heavy loads. I will never get one with out power steering again after doing plot work my arms are dead tired. I bought it new  based on lower price. Does what it has to do and I do alot of work with it plowing moving etc... but if you got the cash i would look at Can-Am

Ive owned a few can am's. My wife still has a renegade 500. I love my can ams, only other machine i would recommend is a grizzly 700. But u said you want a true 2 up machine so that leaves polaris and can am pretty much for major atv makers. I would stick with can am between the two. If your not looking to be the fastest quad the 850 can am will save u some cash and still be faster than most atvs around. Plus u probably wont run as hot as the 1000. (Can am is known for over heating). Post up pics when u get it!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Ive owned a few can am's. My wife still has a renegade 500. I love my can ams, only other machine i would recommend is a grizzly 700. But u said you want a true 2 up machine so that leaves polaris and can am pretty much for major atv makers. I would stick with can am between the two. If your not looking to be the fastest quad the 850 can am will save u some cash and still be faster than most atvs around. Plus u probably wont run as hot as the 1000. (Can am is known for over heating). Post up pics when u get it!

I agree with ya zeek. For a true two up machine, the CanAm is the way to go. And yes, the 850 has more than enough power for most anything.

Like I said in my post above, I sometimes trail ride with a couple guys with the CanAm. One has the 850, the other the 1000. Both are beasts! And both leave me in the dust with my Yamaha Grizz, on the long straight stretches. 

9 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I’m looking at a 2016 outlander 570 and a 2013 king quad 750. Anyone have a option on either of these machines. Sorry Moog didn’t want to hi-jack your thread but didn’t think there was a reason to start a new one while on topic 

Of those two choices, I'd go with the Outlander.