Bill Schmidt

Pics Of Bearded Lady,With 2 Hens, and 12+ Poults!!!

7/9/2018---- The Wild Turkeys just awhile ago visited my front yard for the first time since last late September.   The Bearded Hen is back! Along with 2 other hens and 12+ Poults. I put out birdseed late yesterday afternoon. They were here for 30 minutes. I live on a Dead-end Road and one of the 2 last homes near a nice block of hardwoods.                                         All 3 hens look to be over 10 pounds. They are huge! That Hen, I surprised in Sterling Forest in late May was also huge.  I am seeing much larger Hen wild Turkeys just in the last few years then in many of the years before this,so  that is a positive step! My largest Hen that, I took weighed out at 12+ pounds back in the late 1990s. My Brother in law Mark took an even larger Hen Turkey back during the late that same periods-- the late 1990s. That was the Fall day that we doubled up as I took a nice evening sized Jenny.  Anyway, I once again feel like an unpaid DEC field worker and they will check my pics today, I am sure.   Pics from town of Monroe.

• Like 1

Ok-- my 5th pic show all 3 huge Hens. They were constantly moving around on the edges and keeping the Poults more towards the center.    Later the flock went across the road to my Neighbors home. Black and White cat moved into some bushes and was seen by one of the hens. That Hen briskly walked straight at this bush. Cat problem solved!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bill Schmidt said:

Ok-- my 5th pic show all 3 huge Hens. They were constantly moving around on the edges and keeping the Poults more towards the center.    Later the flock went across the road to my Neighbors home. Black and White cat moved into some bushes and was seen by one of the hens. That Hen briskly walked straight at this bush. Cat problem solved!

They have grouped together. Three years ago, we had three hens with eighteen poults. This year, nada, Time will tell here. They usually come in when the hay seedings green up , and the grasshoppers are plentiful.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

Coworker saw a tom , a hen and 15 poults Saturday. Said the poults were very small so I’m guessing second brood 

• Like 1

was chatting with neighbor hes been watching 2 hens with 17 poults between them.. hope there are more around. 1st decent hatch in years here

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Finally got my first pics/video with poults for the year. Not looking too good. 6 different hens around the immediate area atleast, and these 2 gals stroll through with 8 poults. Hope theres more around somewhere..

khg.PNG

• Like 1

This morning, I wanted to find out if the residents behind me in the Expensive Townhouses were throwing out bread.  Within sight of the 3 hens, I opened the door and threw out - Arnold Organic whole wheat bread with plenty of seeds throughout. All 3 Hens went for the bread at my sight.  Now if my neighbor stepped out+-- those Wild Turkeys are making tracks for the woods!    Still had the seed out as well.      Some of the Poults are already running at the young Crows. Fun y as Hell!

• Like 1